Hayley

Singing Bird Cage - restoration

Hi,

I have managed to get hold of a singing bird cage at a reasonable price after years of trying.

It's not working...I would like some advice on what solutions to use to clean it as I think it just requires a good clean, nothings broken.

Can anyone tell me what make of cleaner to use and what lubricant would be best, have attached photo's!

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Hello Hayley and welcome.

Well I must admit that this is a first from my point of view and its outside of the norm for the forum.  There are so many members that maybe someone will know something ! 

I can see a mechanism in your pic with what appear to be plastic bellows and a regulator ? Try to work backwards through from the bellows to what and how someting is compressing them to how that something gets its power and how that power is supplied - wind up key ?

If it is a wind up operation it will involve a spring as the drive, giving a controlled level release of power to operate the bellows and perform any movements of the bird if that is applicable.  If it is a spring it may be wound up tight so be very careful if releasing that power or you may hurt fingers or eyes.

Really if the members were to help they need a tad more info and you would need to remove the movement for a better look.  If you are intent on diy, as you do so, take pics each time before and after removal of screws, bolts and parts generally.  Broken parts may present a problem with spares if they are needed so be careful.  Look for simple stuff first, has anything foreign got in there to jam the works.

Regarding movement parts, plastic is generally OK to clean with mild detergent and light brushing, metal parts of the movement could be cleaned in lighter fluid and in your position a light oil like sewing machine oil may be OK where metal touches metal on faster moving parts and 3 in 1 oil on slower moving parts to keep things simple but without a better view of the actual mechanism these are just guesses.  PS I have assumed it is mechanical if it is battery operated other info may apply.

I have deliberately kept away from complicating this help and hope that if others spot any flaws in my suggestions they will jump in to negate or supplement my advice.

Forum members here are helpful and often willing to give advice but I have to admit this is a new one for me,

Cheers,

Vic

So sorry I didn't reply, I didn't see this!

I have taken the mechanism apart and it's just a plastic cog that's broken, it's proving a massive problem but I am going to take it to a watch maker in Dorset who will hopefully be able to help. Will let you know how it goes! ☺

Yes it is a pity but I wouldn't have been able to afford the antique variety.

Basically the only difference is the bellows are plastic and this one cog is plastic the rest is the same.

I will look into getting it cleaned but if I were to do it myself what's the best cleaner and lubercant for the spring itself?

Thanks

Hi, yes me too, I had seen them on TV....never thought i'd get hold of one, it cost me £20 on ebay which was amazing! I knew what was wrong with it before I bought it but it's a nightmare to get or make replacement parts.

Just been so busy that it's been on the back burner for years!

H :)

Except for the enamel painting around the bottom of the bird cage, I have this exact singing bird cage!

I'm interested in more info on restoring it.

the bellows are ruined, and a plastic gear on the flywheel is cracked.

Anywhere I can find parts? Replacement diaphragms? etc.?

Need feathers too!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LeAnn
      I honestly just wanted to know how much it would cost me to fix my meylan stopwatch no. 214 if I were to send it to meylan to fix. I feel i should because on the inside the bezel case said to. And if I choose to send it to meylan then do i just send it or can I set up something online because on meylan's website I can't find anything about repairs or my stopwatch in particular. If you can help with some answers I would greatly appreciate it.
    • By Harmines
      Good evening everyone. I am new to this forum and i can see we have some outstanding experts on the site.
      brand new to watch repair and looking to get some advice. I purchased an Omega seamaster quarts 1342 watch (not currently working and not tested) as it was a bargain and understand that 329 is the equivalent of the original mercury battery used when the watch was manufactured?
      I am hoping the battery change will mean it is functional but in the event it does not work, how easy/costly is it to repair. (I’ve heard parts can turn this bargain into a money pit)
      would anyone in this community willing to have a go at fixing it after i try battery change?
      paid service of course.
      any help advice would be much appreciated
      thank you 

• By Macgman2000
      Hello All,
      I am relatively new to this hobby. I am an electronics engineer by profession in Los Angeles. I have been designated as the go to person for replacing watch batteries and fixing vintage & modern electronic gadgets for almost my entire life. Recent past, my father told me in casual conversation that his watch was running slow. I didn't know until later on that it was an automatic movement, which got me down this slippery slope. Since then I have downloaded time grapher apps, bought a dedicated chinese time grapher, purchased a set of tools that would rival Marks workshop...lol. I tend to do that, get hooked and immerse myself in things that interest me. I am an amateur radio operator, machinist, wood worker, photographer...on and on. I have learned a lot about a lot of things and have been successful in using that knowledge which keeps me motivated.
      I fix and restore old film cameras and have a collection of prized fully functional 40's through 1981 SLR cameras. I got so good at it, I had a steady stream of people willing to pay me whatever I wanted to get their vintage/classic cameras re-sealed, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. I no longer add to my collection since getting married....lol. But always keep an eye out for a rare find. Before the above, I was into machining. I have a full machining table stop workshop. 14" lathe, 24" 3-in-one lathe/mill,/drill, belt sander, grind/polisher, assortment of dremels and many other goodies. I also learned to MIG weld. I built up a dune buggy single axle carrier trailer for my brother-in-law to drag behind his truck (still in service 7 years later). That was a learning experience. I watched lots of videos and talked to professional welders. Ended up doing exercises of all kinds of welds and cutting them open to see the depth of penetration to learn how to dial in my machine for various thicknesses.
      I have many other interests that I have embraced and learned by doing, going to spare you the rest LOL....I am passionate about learning.
      My current projects:
      1). Refinishing the cabinet and restoring the electronics on a 1930 Philco Model 77 low boy radio.
      2). Refinishing and restoring an old library cart. My wife and I have plans for this, maybe a mobile bar LOL...
      3). Making a kitchen knife set for my wife. I know, easier to buy, but for me it's all about the journey. I made my first Santoku and she uses it a lot. Bought metal blanks, shaped and grinded it (via printed template from pictures) into what looks like a pretty good knife that holds its edge well.
      4). Restoring a 1980 Star Wars themed alarm clock. I have the old record player mechanism working. The Bradley wind up clock is running slow even when the external speed adjustment is maxed out at the ++ mark. That should be a learning experience.
      5). Assembled an ETA 2824-2 movement watching Mark's and other videos on youtube. It is in a beautiful watch now (for my dad's birthday) that I built from German and Swiss part sources. I ran into the problem where the stem would not fit back in the mechanism while fitting a new stem/crown to the case. Thanks Mark for the detailed video on how to fix that, took me about 1 hour of trying various things before I figured it out. Watch works wonderfully, in beat in 5 positions and my worst is +3 seconds per day, stem up. Dial up it bounces between +1 and 0.
      I will ask a lot of question so please bear with me, this is all still new to me :)
      -Nick

• By east3rn
      Hello dear watch repairers.
      I am working on a Bifora 910 manual wind movement.
      The movement was cleaned and oiled yesterday and I have been testing the performance.
      I noticed that when the watch is fully wound, the amplitude reaches somewhere above 300 and rate gets super high.
      However after about 5 minutes, both amplitude and rate plunge to a very low state.
      I thought mainspring was the reason so I took the barrel out, cleaned the mainspring and applied 8200 oil again only to get the similar result.
      What do you think is the problem and what can be done??
      I am always thankful for your help.

this is when fully wound

After 5 minutes
    • By jakobvinkas
      Hello, I could not fint any answer to this on any other thread.
      Im using Isopropyl alcohol for the last step of hand cleaning movements. However i can not find a good way to throw used liquid away. How do you do it, I know that the liquid will turn into gas eventually however since i fill a small jar there is always going to come times when i need to throw it away. Where do i throw it?
      How do you do it?
      Thanks in advance, Jakob