Hayley

Singing Bird Cage - restoration

Hi,

I have managed to get hold of a singing bird cage at a reasonable price after years of trying.

It's not working...I would like some advice on what solutions to use to clean it as I think it just requires a good clean, nothings broken.

Can anyone tell me what make of cleaner to use and what lubricant would be best, have attached photo's!

Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Hello Hayley and welcome.

Well I must admit that this is a first from my point of view and its outside of the norm for the forum.  There are so many members that maybe someone will know something ! 

I can see a mechanism in your pic with what appear to be plastic bellows and a regulator ? Try to work backwards through from the bellows to what and how someting is compressing them to how that something gets its power and how that power is supplied - wind up key ?

If it is a wind up operation it will involve a spring as the drive, giving a controlled level release of power to operate the bellows and perform any movements of the bird if that is applicable.  If it is a spring it may be wound up tight so be very careful if releasing that power or you may hurt fingers or eyes.

Really if the members were to help they need a tad more info and you would need to remove the movement for a better look.  If you are intent on diy, as you do so, take pics each time before and after removal of screws, bolts and parts generally.  Broken parts may present a problem with spares if they are needed so be careful.  Look for simple stuff first, has anything foreign got in there to jam the works.

Regarding movement parts, plastic is generally OK to clean with mild detergent and light brushing, metal parts of the movement could be cleaned in lighter fluid and in your position a light oil like sewing machine oil may be OK where metal touches metal on faster moving parts and 3 in 1 oil on slower moving parts to keep things simple but without a better view of the actual mechanism these are just guesses.  PS I have assumed it is mechanical if it is battery operated other info may apply.

I have deliberately kept away from complicating this help and hope that if others spot any flaws in my suggestions they will jump in to negate or supplement my advice.

Forum members here are helpful and often willing to give advice but I have to admit this is a new one for me,

Cheers,

Vic

So sorry I didn't reply, I didn't see this!

I have taken the mechanism apart and it's just a plastic cog that's broken, it's proving a massive problem but I am going to take it to a watch maker in Dorset who will hopefully be able to help. Will let you know how it goes! ☺

Yes it is a pity but I wouldn't have been able to afford the antique variety.

Basically the only difference is the bellows are plastic and this one cog is plastic the rest is the same.

I will look into getting it cleaned but if I were to do it myself what's the best cleaner and lubercant for the spring itself?

Thanks

Hi, yes me too, I had seen them on TV....never thought i'd get hold of one, it cost me £20 on ebay which was amazing! I knew what was wrong with it before I bought it but it's a nightmare to get or make replacement parts.

Just been so busy that it's been on the back burner for years!

H :)

Except for the enamel painting around the bottom of the bird cage, I have this exact singing bird cage!

I'm interested in more info on restoring it.

the bellows are ruined, and a plastic gear on the flywheel is cracked.

Anywhere I can find parts? Replacement diaphragms? etc.?

Need feathers too!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Joshua
      Hey, so I have a question. I've got an Invicta dive watch with a NH35A movement here that whenever I unthread the stem and crown as it is unthreading the date starts changing. Once its unthreaded I can change it to the 1, 2 and 3 positions and set and wind it accordingly. How can I fix this and what is causing this? 

Yours truly, Josh
    • By tmilligan
      Question for those who work on Vintage Timex watches:
      I've restored several Timex pieces from the late '60s to the late '70s.  The technique I learned (from Internet posts and tutorials) say to simply loosen the dial-side balance pivot by unscrewing it 1/2 turn prior to cleaning the entire movement in an ultrasonic cleaner.  This method contradicts the official Timex service manuals, which state that the balance should be removed, cleaned separately and reinstalled.  Thus preventing the hairspring form being damaged in the ultrasonic cleaner.
      My experience is this: 
      Leaving the balance in place (slightly loosened) is much easier and will work on the standard movements used in the '70s (M24/25, M32/33, M104, etc.) Attempting the same method on movements from the '50s and '60s (M22, M29, etc) will result in a kinked hairspring that is damn near impossible to un-kink.  So my question is this:
      What do you experienced Timex restoration experts recommend?  Leave the balance/hairspring in the movement for cleaning, or take it out to soak in a separate jar?
      Is the potential for hairspring damage greater when removing/reinstalling the balance - in comparison to leaving it in place?
      I've messed up a couple of vintage movements that I really wish I hadn't.   I don't want to make those mistakes again.
      Thanks for any insights!
        -Todd

• By MrRoundel
      Greetings folks. I've been working on watches as a hobby for about 20 years now.  I started out on pocket watches and have never cleaned a clock. In fact, I had a great cleaning machine, with the big jars, and a few other clock tools, that I gave away to an aspiring clock guy over at the Tascione site. But I digress...
      Nearly 20 years ago I bought a Hamilton model 21 ship's chronometer. It's an early one, pre 400 serial number, and is a thing of beauty, as these generally are. Back when I got it, I had a professional service it for me. It was done well, but wasn't cheap. $400-500, IIRC. I used to display it in my living room and run it occasionally just to hear the escapement and marvel it its accuracy. From about 2009 to 2014 it sat in my storage unit, waiting for new digs. In 2014 I wound it up and it took off running. I let it run down and then put it away for a couple of years. When I pulled it out, I discovered that it had a broken balance pivot. While originally I thought someone had knocked it over and wasn't copping to it, but now, after inspecting the upper pivot's wear, I don't think that's the case.
      After botching the first staff I got trying to replace the hub, I set it aside again for the past couple of years. The way I broke the staff was I overestimated how deep the hollowness went in my hollow punch that I was using to tap it on. It bottomed out in the punch and destroyed the pivot.
      Now that I'm finally over that disappointment, I decided to give it another go. I bought a staff that already had the hub installed. I may have to polish the lower pivot, as it doesn't seem to want to set in the hole jewel properly. I'm in the process of verifying all of this. I had to tear down the chronometer at least to the point where I could check to see if the broken part of the pivot was impeding the staff from setting properly. The hole jewel is clear.
      I'm doing the best I can to do it right, and get it running again. I won't be running it, but want it running just in case I should decide to sell it. Otherwise the value drops quite a bit. Since I have it completely torn down now, I might as well clean and oil it. Does anyone have a hot tip on the best cleaning solutions for cleaning these chronometers? I'd like to use something that will cross over and work for my cleaning of watches as well. I have both an ultrasonic and the small L&R mechanical. I have one more fresh batch of cleaner and rinse, petroleum, no-water, formula. Should I use that, or make, or get, something new? Any tips for oil and grease types to get me by? Any suggestions are appreciated.
      I do have the Manual for the movement.
      I know that this is risky business, my working on this chrono, but I just can't afford to spend another $500 to get it running. Plus, I heard that if you're going to run these, you've got to spend this $500 or so to service them every few years. That is not going to happen. Feedback, suggestions, warnings, tips, etc., are all welcome. Many thanks. Cheers.

• By LeAnn
      I honestly just wanted to know how much it would cost me to fix my meylan stopwatch no. 214 if I were to send it to meylan to fix. I feel i should because on the inside the bezel case said to. And if I choose to send it to meylan then do i just send it or can I set up something online because on meylan's website I can't find anything about repairs or my stopwatch in particular. If you can help with some answers I would greatly appreciate it.
    • By Harmines
      Good evening everyone. I am new to this forum and i can see we have some outstanding experts on the site.
      brand new to watch repair and looking to get some advice. I purchased an Omega seamaster quarts 1342 watch (not currently working and not tested) as it was a bargain and understand that 329 is the equivalent of the original mercury battery used when the watch was manufactured?
      I am hoping the battery change will mean it is functional but in the event it does not work, how easy/costly is it to repair. (I’ve heard parts can turn this bargain into a money pit)
      would anyone in this community willing to have a go at fixing it after i try battery change?
      paid service of course.
      any help advice would be much appreciated
      thank you