hokavan

Replace a complete balance wheel and bridge for ETA 2804-2

Question

Hi all,

I broke the pivot of balance wheel on ETA 2804-2.

I bought a generic complete balance wheel with bridge for ETA 2824-2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/262234041099?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and tried to install it without any difficulty. There is only a difference between the new and old one is the shock assemblies (Incabloc vs Novodiac). In the photo below, the new one is the yeallow on the right hand side.

IMG_1540.thumb.JPG.432f53ea73f6cbf86f776996c6068e68.JPG

My question are:

- Is the complete balance wheel and bridge replaceable between those movements?

- If Yes, after installed, the balance wheel has swung a little bit then stop. What is the reason? How to fix it?

Thank you

Edited by hokavan

5 answers to this question

try using only the balance complete (balance wheel and Hairspring) - meaning use the old cock and the new balance complete.

It looks to me like you don't have enough end-shakeand a cause would be the different shocks (Incabloc and Novodiac)

To take it off:

Edited by matabog

It looks like the balance roller jewel is not engaged with the pallet folk correctly. It might be a mile out of beat so it will be worth removing the pallet folk & bridge and rotate the balance & check that the roller jewel settles in the middle of the banking pins.

Doesn't look like you got the balance in the right position? Make sure that you have the roller jewels inside the pallet fork.  Which i don't you have right. Maybe that is why you broke the last pivot. 

Yes you are right. The roller was not in right position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

try using only the balance complete (balance wheel and Hairspring) - meaning use the old cock and the new balance complete.
It looks to me like you don't have enough end-shakeand a cause would be the different shocks (Incabloc and Novodiac)
To take it off:

I don't have tools to remove the balance and install it on the old bridge. It could be the end- shake problems because if I pressed down the end of bridge it would run faster.
I was looking for complete balance and bridge for ETA 2804 but was unable to find it. Could you please suggest any other way to fix it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ballefrostt
      Hello
      A friend of my father gave me this old pocketwatch to see if I could repare it. 

As you see in the picture, the balance wheel is extremely bent. I tried to bend it back, but i cant make it good enough.

Does anyone know where I can find a balancewheel for this Revue 30 movement? I have tried to search around online, however, I cant find any.

Is there a generic balance that would fit in here? 

Best regards
      Nicholas

• By Bill3
      Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get this clock to run?  It is a Chelsea ship’s clock.  When I got it it would not run, but I attributed that to the fact that it was dirty and had old black oil around the pivots.  I carefully cleaned the movement and cleaned the balance wheel separately in naphtha.  It reassembled without problems and was oiled,but would not run. If I “add power” to the movement it will run.  
      I looked at the mainsprings while it was dissembled and they looked clean and intact.  
      I have included pictures of both sides of the clock and a picture from the side showing the wheel (the one pointed out by the screwdriver) that I can push on to make it run.  
      Thanks in advance for any help with this vexing problem.

• By VWatchie
      I've made up my mind to build a watch around the the ETA 2804-2 (28.800/Manual wind/Date complication). It's diameter is identical to the ETA 2824-2 (25.60 mm), but the height  of the 2804-2 is just 3.35 mm, that is 1.25 mm less than the 2824-2. I've been looking around but it seems very difficult (impossible?) to find watch cases designed for the ETA 2804-2, but there are plenty of cases to choose from for the 2824-2. So, I have two questions...
      1. Where can I find watch cases designed for the ETA 2804-2, and if that isn't possible...?
      2. Would a case designed for the 2824-2 work with the 2804-2? My guess is that it would, but that the case back would be unnecessarily thick?
    • By VWatchie
      I’m working myself through Mark Lovic’s “Watch Repair Lessons & Courses”. Before enrolling I wasn’t sure the courses would be worthwhile to me, as I had spent a huge amount of time researching the Internet on how to service watches, and had serviced several Vostok 24XX movements (very affordable movements, BTW).
      Now, in hindsight, the courses have proved to be extremely valuable to me. I’ve learned things that I just haven’t been able to find elsewhere, like how to easily transfer watch oil from the bottles to the oil pots, how the get the right amount of oil onto the escape wheel teeth, how to remove rust from pinion leaves, that I shouldn’t oil the pallet fork jewel bearings (and why!). The list could be made very long.
      Anyway, yesterday I finished the level 2 section of the course, named “Lubrication and Re-Assembly”, and as I beheld the magic of seeing the movement come to life again I shoot a slow-motion video of its beating heart, i.e. the balance wheel. For anyone interested you can see the video here.
      Thanks for reading!
    • By RadoHelp
      Hi,
      I have an old Rado Diastar Quartz watch that belonged to my grandpa, but it doesn't work anymore. My dad tried having it repaired once and had a terrible experience with Rado. In the end they flat out said they couldn't repair it and gave it back.  The design of the watch seems common to a number of old Rado watches, both automatic and quartz. I can't seem to find a second hand quartz movement but found automatic movements for the same design. Would it be possible to replace the quartz movement with and automatic? I'll add some pictures of my quartz movement and the automatic(ETA2789).
      Thanks in advance for any advice!