Help: Seiko 5 Moon Phase Calibre 6347

Hello out there !

Does anyone know, or is familiar with the movement this watch has ?  I recently obtained the watch. It runs great, but the only thing not working is the moon phase function

(Partly corrected now). When I started disassembling it I noticed some dummy had glued the moon phase disc to the hour wheel shaft !! (It did rotate with the hour hand when 

I first got it.) Anyway, I carefully removed the disc & removed all the glue & carefully, a little bit @ a time, used a small drill bit with my fingers to remove the glue from the hole,

making sure not to make the hole any larger. I then checked for any burrs, etc., then cleaned it well with rodico. It now spins freely on the hour wheel shaft without any slack.

I also removed all the upper related parts & cleaned them well.

According to the exploded view of the Seiko tech guide, I am missing the Intermediate Moon Phase Wheel. What confuses me is the wheel is pictured with a hole, but there is no

protruding pin to retain the wheel where it should fit. Is there an error in the drawing ?  Does the wheel interact with the moon phase finger ?  Does the wheel not need the hole

or a pin to set in ?  Do I have an updated movement ?  If so, I'm thinking the moon phase finger would advance the disc, by engaging with the teeth on the underside of the disc.

I put it back together anyway, just to see. Everything works great, except the moon phase won't advance when the watch is running. It does work well now, with the quick-set feature.

The disc turns freely, is nice & flat along with the date dial, & engages well with the moon phase jumper. The teeth on the bottom of the disc seem to be in good shape as well.

I put in a request for the intermediate wheel @ Cousins UK. It should be available sometime in the 1st week of May. (I hope)

In the meantime, does anyone have any experience, input, or thoughts on this matter ? 

Please see attachments.

Thanks guys !!

Scotty

https://watchguy.co.uk/technical/Seiko/6347A.pdf

P4061857.JPG

P3251844_1.JPG

Vintage Seiko 5 Moon Phase.jpg

Thanks for replying !  The date driving wheel is under the moon phase finger. It also has a finger.

The spot I highlighted is where the intermediate wheel is supposed to go. It's missing if all is correct.

Notice there is no pin to accept the wheel. 

See page 2 in the link I attached. Thanks !

Strange? It's says in the pdf that the only difference to a 6309A is the moon phase components . So i can't see that there is a pin on any 6309A for the moon phase intermediate wheel. Maybe it only sits in the cut out on the plate? The finger hit the wheel once every day so there isn't much to it? 

18 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Strange? It's says in the pdf that the only difference to a 6309A is the moon phase components . So i can't see that there is a pin on any 6309A for the moon phase intermediate wheel. Maybe it only sits in the cut out on the plate? The finger hit the wheel once every day so there isn't much to it? 

Correct, 6309A. I'm also thinking the wheel may just sit in the cut-out. So, the moon phase finger engages with the intermediate wheel, which engages with the moon phase disc, advancing it, correct ?  I'm just having a little trouble conceiving it, the idea the wheel can just sit or float there & function as well. But it is what it is, right ?!  

Thanks for your input !

Scotty

• 10 months later...
On 4/7/2017 at 7:04 AM, SCOTTY said:

Correct, 6309A. I'm also thinking the wheel may just sit in the cut-out. So, the moon phase finger engages with the intermediate wheel, which engages with the moon phase disc, advancing it, correct ?  I'm just having a little trouble conceiving it, the idea the wheel can just sit or float there & function as well. But it is what it is, right ?!  

Thanks for your input !

Scotty

UPDATE !!   PROBLEM SOLVED  !!!   Seiko 5  6347-5010 Moon Phase Watch

Well, it's been close to a year since I messed with this thing & I just got another 1 of these off The Bay for a good negotiated price. For parts but running good. An Ugly One, but I was just after the movement.

Btw, when I tried to get the moon phase intermediate wheel from Cousins last year they listed it as obsolete. It's just as well, & in a moment you'll see why.

Before I pulled the trigger on the Ugly One, I contacted the seller. I asked him if the moon phase advanced on its own when the watch is running, AND if it advanced when manually advancing the hands past midnight. He replied yes, so I rolled the dice & grabbed it. When I got it everything worked like it's supposed to & I was thrilled to death !   NOW I CAN GET MINE GOING !!  I could have just swapped movements, dials, etc., but my curiosity wouldn't let me. So I dismantled the upper part of the movement from the Ugly One down to where the moon phase intermediate wheel is & behold !!  The MP intermediate wheel resting around a stud on the main plate !!  It seems the 1st one was rebuilt using the main plate for a 6308  (Same as 6309 but without the day feature, hence no stud ?).               GO FIGURE !!  The 1st one also had a day finger installed on the date driving wheel instead of a MP finger. You can see the difference.  This was fun. (See pics)

I put the mvmt back together with the case & dial from my 1st one but used different hands. The gold on the original ones is ruined from the old lume eating away @ it. In the future, I plan on rebuilding the mvmt. & have fun with that too. But right now I'm just admiring the watch & glad it's up & running. I can't wear it because I need a bracelet or strap for it !  

I really like it & the MP window is BIG !!   I'm pretty sure the 6347 is the only mechanical moon phase Seiko ever built. Seems pretty rare too. I'm definitely hanging on to it.

Any input welcome !   Thanks !        

Scotty

P3251844.JPG

P2020507.JPG

P2020508.JPG

P2040531.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update # 2 !! 

I decided to rebuild the movement a little sooner. It turned out ok !  I think the amplitude is pretty good for an entry levelish Seiko. Btw, I'm no expert & this watch has the older Diafix jewel springs on the TWB & they were tricky !

I also got a bracelet so I can wear it now !

Cheers !!

P3080612.JPG

P3080600.JPG

P3080606.JPG

P2180553.JPG

• Like 1