• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hi all,   I'm new to this fascinating discipline.   I'm a plumbing and heating contractor by trade.   Been in that industry for 35 plus years.   My other interests include gunsmithing.   I stumbled on to one of Marks YouTube videos and I was drawn right in.   I've always been interested in mechanical things.   Thanks for all of the information I've already received.    Hope to pursue this and gain skill and knowledge. 
    • Hi JDM, This is super consolidation work. Huge help. Thanks very much.
    • I had the same problem on a pocket watch. Turned out to be a loose impulse jewel. Re-shellaced it and all was good. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • Look at the spring position BETWEEN the regulator pins.  If its central to both pins, I vote to leave it alone.  The old guys (Fried and De Carle) often suggested using a slight bend in the hairspring  to centralize the spring position between regulator pins.  It does appear to be a little eccentric.   At any rate, I doubt your slight kink would be a reason for low amplitude.   Good luck, RMD
    • No aspersions need be cast, deep fried cockroaches are real. This from Wikipedia for example. "... The cockroaches are fried twice in a wok of hot oil, which makes them crispy with soft innards that are like cottage cheese.[92][93] Fried cockroaches are ground and sold as pills for stomach, heart and liver diseases.[94] A cockroach recipe from Formosa (Taiwan) specifies salting and frying cockroaches after removing the head and entrails.[95]In traditional and homeopathic medicine..." I'm pretty adventurous in terms of what I will eat, and in my travels,  have tried some strange stuff over the years, including seal meat, ostrich, crickets and kangaroo (not all at the same sitting of course). If offered deep fried cockroaches, based on that description, I might be tempted, though not as a solution to any internal medical issues. As to the cause of the demise of the key-less work of Russian watches, I suspect the lack of proper sealing of the stem is probably a major contributor. On those watches that I have seen this problem (not all Russian), there was evidence of corrosion or ingress of crud, both of which could lead to binding and stripping of teeth. Metallurgy may also be  a factor, particularly if the cause is a snapped spring but I suspect that poor case construction is a more common reason.  Lack of servicing is also likely to be a common cause, since grease tends to turn to tar if not regularly replaced, and once in this state, the wearer will tend to simply put more pressure on the winder in the hope of "freeing it up", which is obviously not a good idea.