Broken Incabloc/Cap Jewel Retaining Cllip

I managed to break one half of the retaining clip on the balance bridge incabloc. (movement is a FL - Cal 253) I cleaned/oiled the cap jewel and it is being held on by on half of the retaining clip. I have assembled the movement and it is running--I have turned the movement so that the broken jewel clip is facing down and it has not fallen out of the movement.

So my "stupid" question is should I just leave it as is? This is a hobby watch so if it breaks I'll just fix it again. OR, should I spend the $18 + $4 shipping and order an new incabloc from Cousins in the U.K.????  If I get a new incabloc can I remove the clip from the new part and install in the incabloc that is already installed on the balance bridge??? I found a Youtube video that shows someone doing this--but don't know if it will work on my particular movement?? 

Any help would be a "help" as I am new to the watch hobby.

Thanks, Tracy

Hi Tracy, having just one 'arm' of the spring won't work unfortunately. A light jolt will knock the cap jewel off again. You're need to get a replacement, either a new spring or a replacement balance bridge.

While you may get lucky and replace the spring like Danh said, most likely you will need to dismantle the whole balance bridge, If I remember correctly the FL253 hairspring has an end-fixing which screws to the underside of the balance bridge so that's easy enough.

Good luck.

Anil

You have to push the incabloc  few mm out to mount a new spring, en then push it in again.

With this it is safe or you have to make it at your own with an lathe.

http://www.horlogeforum.nl/t/ww2-horloge-ww1-horloge-dus/103068/25

I think you need these as replacement.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=INCA27003

Use rodico to mount it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I have "chickened" out about trying to replace just the incabloc clip. I'm not sure that I can successfully install the clip without pressing the cap jewel out of the balance (then I would have to get it back in). The incabloc from Cousins will cost me about $23 so i just ordered another FL cal 253 watch from ebay (yes it's from India) for $30 including shipping. Now I have spare parts for the entire movement. I may try to use the spring from the ordered watch and install on the one I'm working on--or just swap the balance between the movements.

• Like 1