Falling At The First Hurdle

Hi All

After being fascinated by wristwatches for years and really wanting to learn how to carry out minor repairs/services on manuals and automatics I decided this year to actually make a start. I have been following Marks brilliantly laid out videos and spent some time getting to know about each section of the movement before attempting anything. After reading what I could I set about following the steps and successfully got an old scrap movement apart without causing further damage, I hope. 

I wasn't intending to service it or repair it, as I do not yet have all of the oils and greases necessary to carry out a full service. I really just wanted to practice with my tools and learn how to put a movement back together. 

I kept a photo log of disassembly and managed to follow it backwards for reassembly. However,  the movement I am using is such that the train of wheels sit sandwiched between the top and bottom plate and the pivots slot into pivot holes top and bottom (no jewels).I cannot for the life of me get them to rest in the correct position while replacing the top plate. Either the escape wheels jumps out of the pivot hole or all three just don't line up to allow correct fitting of the top plate. 

I am having a break from it tonight and wont give up but feel as though I have fallen at the first hurdle at the moment.

Just wanted to share my experiences and hopefully in the future I will look back and laugh at my inexperience :-)

I think everyone struggles with that at, at least/especially at first, lining up the gear train is one of the significant difficulties faced in servicing. you should be able to find plenty of advice on the forum. You'll get it done. :thumbsu:

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Try this...

First check that each wheel on its own will run freely in its jewels. This will help you be sure that none of the pivots is damaged and that you are trying to put the wheels in the right holes.

Place all the wheels pivots in their holes in the bottom plate, rest the top bridge plate down and align one pivot at one end of the train - e.g. the centre wheel. Rest a finger or piece of pegwood on top of the bridge, then use a pair of tweezers to push the next wheel across until the pivot aligns with the hole... the bridge will need to lift up slightly to do this, but hold it down gently to stop everything falling apart. Then move to the next one.

If you struggle doing all of them, learn to do it with 2 wheels first, then build up to 3...

Make sure all the wheels continue to turn freely as you tighten the screws.

• Like 1

Ive found a trick that may work with other watches, but works great for Accutron 214,--which is basically most of what Ive been doing lately....

bung all four wheels in, lay bridge carefully in place, lined up with dowels and screw-holes, then gently tap movement holder at 45 deg angle with tweezers they all just fall into place, bung screws in after confirming train free--job done.
--It took longer for me to write this, than to refit the four wheels and bridge to the 214, but as I say--it may not work for other movements.

poking round inside Accutron with a pin or summit to line wheels up is Not an option due to delicate nature of index-wheel--one touch on the teeth of that, its stuffed.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

Full plates ate a pain in the backside but if you do it as @StuartBaker104 states you'll be well on the way. I usually screw down the top plate slightly not fully or you'll break a pivot this stops the top plate moving about as much. Working under a plate when you cant see anything is frustrating I also get my light as close as i can to the top plate and look through the side of the movement you can usually see a little pin prick of light to aim for when pushing your top pivot into place don't forget to keep gentle pressure on the plate you'll feel it pop in.

• Like 1

Yep gentle pressure on the top plate then start at the furthest wheel, I use a yellow oiler as it's the thickest to move the wheels into their respective positions, you'll get it in pretty quick time mate don't worry. What I will agree on is putting one wheel at a time, do up the plates use your blower to spin the wheel if it's free take apart and remove them place in the second wheel and do the same, when you have done all four wheels start with the first two making sure they spin then add the third then the fourth. It's abit long winded but you endure all wheels spin as they should.

dont worry a pit oils and greases straight away, you will need them obviously, but the movement will run without any lubrication, if it does then you know you've done a good job.

• Like 1