Coating for ultrasonic rack

Tiktok

After talking to a rep at a material/tools supplier I have managed to get hold of a ring rack that sits across the top of my ultrasonic tank, this will be used to sit 30m watch's on to clean bracelets so the head of the watch sits above the water without having to remove the bracelet. 

The rack is made from cheap mild steel and is plastic coated, after manipulating it to do the job I want it to do the plastic coating has split where I have bent it. Over time it will rust, stain the water and will come away at the welds.

Any ideas on what I could use to either recoat the split bits on the bends or recoat the full thing.

This tank is a biggish one and is on all day every day with heat, it's being used in a commercial environment so whatever I coat the rack with needs to be hard wearing and heat resistant as well as obviously withstand the ultrasonic itself. I only ever use water with washing up liquid in the tank.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Geo said:

Slide a length of heat shrink tubing over and heat with a hot air gun to shrink it. Heat shrink is available in many sizes, you should get a piece to suit.

Hi Geo, heat shrink would do for the ends but most of the places where the plastic has cracked is the other side of a cross weld so I wouldn't be able to slide the shrink tube to where it needs to be.

3 hours ago, Geo said:

Ah, I photos make all the difference.  How about carefully smearing silicon mastic over the problem areas?

I tried that last time, it did work short term but didn't last, I think the ultrasonic with the heat gets under it and then it starts to peal off.

I wonder if a heat resistant 2 part epoxy paint might do it built up in layers to fill the cracks and then about an inch either side of the cracks to try and seal it and help it adhere to the plastic.

7 hours ago, Geo said:

You could always have it re-powder coated for a professional and durable finish. 

I like the idea of the plastic coating that's already on it so it doesn't scratch or put ultrasonic burns on the case's. I have found some plastic stuff in a spray can that I am going to try, I might even try filling the cracked bits of plastic with plastic weld first, not sure how heat resistant it is though, I think I will put the heat shrink over the 4 arms that will be resting on the basket to protect them from rubbing as well like you suggested.

Well worth a try.  

The original coating could be "Rilsan" which is a very durable Nylon polymer.  Unlike conventional powder coating where charged particles of paint dust is sprayed onto the item then baked in an oven, with Rilsan the item is heated to a high temperature in an oven first then dipped into Rilsan powder.  This gives a much thicker and more durable coating than ordinary powder coating.

1 hour ago, Geo said:

Well worth a try.  

The original coating could be "Rilsan" which is a very durable Nylon polymer.  Unlike conventional powder coating where charged particles of paint dust is sprayed onto the item then baked in an oven, with Rilsan the item is heated to a high temperature in an oven first then dipped into Rilsan powder.  This gives a much thicker and more durable coating than ordinary powder coating.

To be honest I think it's just a cheap plastic coating on them, Walsh's imported them direct from china for me and then put the remaining ones on their website, I think they are only about £5 each so Walsh will of only paid a couple of quid for them.