Jewel Cap Springs

Hi

I'm working on a small lady's watch that has some jewel cap springs I've not seen before in my whole 18 months of watchmaking. 

Anyway, one is shaped like a 4 leafed clover and the other has a lyre shape. I think the clover shaped one is like a Novodiac spring and the lyre shaped on is hinged - sort of like an Incablock spring.

Any suggestions are welcome.

It was my mother's Bulova and it's NEVER been cleaned. Just getting the hair out of it made it go...

Dave

PS - I'd post a photo but, sadly, I don't know how.

1 hour ago, Folkvisor said:

Hi

I'm working on a small lady's watch that has some jewel cap springs I've not seen before in my whole 18 months of watchmaking. 

Anyway, one is shaped like a 4 leafed clover and the other has a lyre shape. I think the clover shaped one is like a Novodiac spring and the lyre shaped on is hinged - sort of like an Incablock spring.

Any suggestions are welcome.

It was my mother's Bulova and it's NEVER been cleaned. Just getting the hair out of it made it go...

Dave

PS - I'd post a photo but, sadly, I don't know how.

What's the caliber?

J

@rogart63 is correct. DO NOT try doing without the tool. YOu might be able to get it off by nudging with tweezers, but you'll never get it on afterward and 99.99% chance it will fly into the Nth dimension. You can use these little tools:

DSCN5186.thumb.JPG.df667ccddfb8274a3b538db98615379a.JPG

I also probably have spare parts for that movement...have to look.

J

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clockboy said:

They are KIf size 2-2. I recommend you use a Kif shock tool or make one out of peg wood. I have removed with tweezers & peg wood but they can be real tricky without the correct tool. I have added a Bulova pdf showing the shock springs required.

KIF_Bulova.pdf

Just now, matabog said:

Just use two tweezers and rotate. Careful not to push too hard and brake it.

Thank you both for the information. I'm thinking I'll just leave the KIF DUOFIX spring alone for now.

Just as an aside, My grandfather was from Biled. At the time it was part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire.

It is possible to remove and fit these Kif springs with a piece of peg wood and a pair of number 5 tweezers but they are very fiddly and as already said you will probably ping a few into space before you succeed, you used to be able to buy the springs in tubes of 10 and they weren't much money if you did want to try, they are like a bayonet fitting.

• 5 months later...