Which one would you like and why

oldhippy

Id go for the second of the two good quality french movement in a interesting case, the Angelus is a modern clock produced I would say sometime in the last 30 years and although Angelus being regarded as a good maker it lack's the quality of the second of the two it is definetley not a antique clock.

2nd one because it's cheaper :)  Neither are very old I suspect (they both say "made in"... which to me in a hint). I wouldn't buy either of those.

The first one looks modern, no natural corrosion anywhere.

The second one has 2 different styles of hands, some clearly replaced parts, looks a bit older..,

the Angelus looks like a fairly modern reproduction no discoloration of the enamel dial also the brass shows no sign of tarnishing.The second clock shows lots of age discoloration and the hands on the dial are not a matching pair. But ideally, you need to look in person to see the movement to know for sure.

It would be the second one for me, battle scars and all.  Whether the parts are correct for the case I don't know, but to me it is an old movement, pinned together and has a look of elderly quality.  A bit like yourself OH! :)

PS The pendulum has 3606 lightly scribed onto it which appears to match the number on the movement.  This probably indicates it's original to the clock.

The correct name for these original clocks is French Four Glass Clocks. Most come with a mercury compensated pendulum this means the effect of the weather will not affect the time keeping. Many have visible escapements. They come in various cases from very plain to extremely decretive and can be quite valuable. Most movements are striking on a gong or bell, although I have come across Timepieces.  I have included a photo of a nice decretive one so you can see what I mean. They would have been made from around the 1860 to about 1913 certainly not in or after WW1. Correct about the pendulum it should have the same number as the movement.

The Angelus is a modern clock and it has a bim bam movement or ting tang, two bells and two hammers and has little resemblance to the original apart from the shape of the case, it even has those terrible clips to hold parts on such as the clip holding the bell in place.

It would be the second one for me no hesitation at all.

Thanks to all for taking part.

cd6866ea8b2da7680e5f94419a5d936a.jpg

Late in replying, but I'm please to say I would of gone with the second one too, the screw on hands, nasty C clip and the general 'not old' look of the first one put me off, not to mention its hard to say, but it does look like it has cracks in the glass on the pendulum.

43 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I got it wrong I am was really surprised that the movement with a mercury pendulum has such a basic movement.
Thats why I am a amateur I suppose. B)

They are extremely good movements made with very hard brass and steel. 

12 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Agree I have serviced / repaired many of these movements and they are really well made.  I just was expecting something better/unique. 

I'll see what I can do the next. I'm always looking for something different but not to difficult to keep the clock section interesting.

• Like 1