Hi From London

Hi everyone i'm Andrew 38yo Italian and i've lived in London since 2001, moved to the UK from Turin italy for a change of career.

Passion for time machines, watches & Clocks is always been in me since i was a little kid and i loved my Grandad huge Grand Father Clock and his vintage Gold Rolex that he always praised..

I have a small collection of watches i gathered trough the years nothing fancy but very dear to me, I always commemorate a special event or occasion with a watch and in the last decade the passion has grew stronger in finding more and more about who makes them there history of the names and the technologies involved in creating these amazing machines.

Always been mechanically minded since a small age, loved lego, meccano... rc cars to small motorbike engines to making a career in fine sports cars as a tuning mechanic.

So now for some reason life got me in a boring job for the last 9 years and i keep thinking, what if .. how hard is it .. where do you learn how to fix, repair, dress up or modify watches?? and by researching on how to, i stumbled across the youtube channel and this forum witch i though it would have all the answers for knowledge and suggestions i need...

I love my watches, and i think i will appreciate them even more if i can service them, fix them work on those mechanics like i did and do with my cars and motorbikes.

Guys i like what ever advice you have to give from former watch makers or just lovers of time keeping industry like me!!! 

The latest advice is to look for an ETA 6497 or 6498 movement, either Swiss or one of the Chinese clones. Even though those movements are found in watches, they are really pocket watch movements. Large, and relatively easy to work on. These are also the movements used in Marc's Watch Repair Lessons, and there are lots of resources available for a beginner.

Have Fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andrew and welcome from me,

great forum here with good advice freely given.  My idea of a basic movement would be three hands, hour, min and seconds no day, date or chronograph stuff.  You may try a pocket watch as the parts are a bit larger but just the ordinary type no fusee etc.

lastly good luck,

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Andre...

I'm new here too and also appreciate timepieces.   I'm really not in a position to offer constructive advice but, I'm compelled to suggest you invest in a Timegrapher unit.   The one I purchased is:  "YaeTek Watch Timing Machine Tester Tools Multifunction Timegrapher" from Amazon.com at a cost of $145 US.   I believe this is a fundamental piece of diagnostic equipment that will benefit anyone interested in mechanical watches.

Ray