Finally A Step Forward.

Finally - the plasterers are in today to board up and start plastering my new workshop - it feels so damn good to see things getting done after quite a long stall.

hopefully they will finish tomorrow and after it drys I can get started on the exciting stuff like constructing my workbenches.

I am thinking about using kitchen units , then laminating two sheets of 18mm ply together to make one hell of a strong worktop, then coating it in Formica. The only problem is that kitchen units are not high enough for watch repairing. 

Hmmmm.... Opinions?

Short stool? :-)

I have long legs :D

Could you get some of those adjustable chrome legs from somewhere like Ikea to raise the height ?

This is on the right track. I'm thinking about making a plinth to seat the kitchen units on.

What size of worktop do you intend? Would you not be cheaper buying a kitchen worktop than fabricating and laminating one?

Yes cheaper, but I want a plain green surface and square edges (not rounded down) which is not as easy to find. This way I get exactly what I want.

One sheet should do me fine:

http://www.morland-uk.com/shop/formica-hpl-laminate-sheet-f7853-oceangrey.html

I am thinking about using kitchen units , then laminating two sheets of 18mm ply together to make one hell of a strong worktop, then coating it in Formica. The only problem is that kitchen units are not high enough for watch repairing. 

Hmmmm.... Opinions?

I'm 6'5" (1.95m) Tall and had to raise my bathroom cabinets 6" or 150mm from approximately 30 inches to 36 inches to save my back from bending over so far. I just made an inexpensive frame from 2X6's(50mmX150mm), that matched the same footprint of the cabinet, to raise the cabinets up to a comfortable level. I then covered the exposed framing with inexpensive molding to finish it off. It did not cost very much and looked like it was meant to be that way.

(I hope my metric conversions are close and make sense!)

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Could you use modern shelving/racking strut systems to bolt together a framework - then fit tops, drawers, etc., as required. The dimensions would be totally under your control.

I am starting to think it would be easier to ditch the kitchen unit idea and opt for building something myself. I have several 18mm 2400x1200 bits of ply here which need to be used up. I'm going to use those I think.

I'm 6'5" (1.95m) Tall and had to raise my bathroom cabinets 6" or 150mm from approximately 30 inches to 36 inches to save my back from bending over so far. I just made an inexpensive frame from 2X6's(50mmX150mm), that matched the same footprint of the cabinet, to raise the cabinets up to a comfortable level. I then covered the exposed framing with inexpensive molding to finish it off. It did not cost very much and looked like it was meant to be that way.

(I hope my metric conversions are close and make sense!)

I'm thinking the worktop should be just over 1000mm from the ground in order to keep a straight back when working (what's that in old money).

My current bench is a bit low at 900mm - my back is straight but I'm sitting almost cross legged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am starting to think it would be easier to ditch the kitchen unit idea and opt for building something myself. I have several 18mm 2400x1200 bits of ply here which need to be used up. I'm going to use those I think.

I'm thinking the worktop should be just over 1000mm from the ground in order to keep a straight back when working (what's that in old money).

My current bench is a bit low at 900mm - my back is straight but I'm sitting almost cross legged.

1,000mm is just over 3 feet 3" high. All the pictures of watch repairers I've seen show a really high work bench where the person sits up comfortably on a high-ish stool, and the bench is so tall that it's virtually at shoulder level. I can't imagine kitchen units would be big enough, and 3'3" sounds too low to me as well - but what do I know! :geek:

Anyway, it's good to see how well you're getting on.

Just over 1000mm is about right this will make the bench around chest level when sitting.

I have a purpose built jewellers bench (I used to repair jewellery) and this is just over 900mm and it's slightly too low.

Just working it out with my tape measure I am thinking 1040mm is almost perfect (I am 6ft)

Do you ever suffer from shoulder or neck strain at all? I suppose the secret is not to be hunched over the bench all day.

A friend of mine - my dentist, in fact - had broken his neck playing rugby as a young man. Luckily, he recovered fully but, in mid-dental career, he had to retire from the profession. Bending over patients all day - in that position that dentists assume - had put a strain on the weakened neck. So he was forced to stop dentistry. Luckily, he had full professional insurance, but it was a shame for his patients as well, including me, for he was a damned good dentist.

So take care...

Plastering is an art form,  especially ceilings,  it's starting to get that finished look now.  You will have to double your throughput of watches in order to pay for it all.  I am willing to sweep and tidy up + make tea in exchange for lessons. 

• Like 1

Do you ever suffer from shoulder or neck strain at all? I suppose the secret is not to be hunched over the bench all day.

No neck strain but I do take care especially with my eyes. I usually break every hour or so just to stare over a longer distance. Im lucky - after over 25 years on the bench my eyes are still almost perfect :)

Plastering is an art form,  especially ceilings,  it's starting to get that finished look now.  You will have to double your throughput of watches in order to pay for it all.  I am willing to sweep and tidy up + make tea in exchange for lessons. 

It is indeed - and it is something I am more than happy to let a pro do. I am happy with DIY but I could never get a finish like they have done. The first quote was over £1000 (including a couple of other bits in the house). I ended up paying £600 to these guys. I am not happy with parting with £600 but I am happy it's done.

Just painting, workbenches, storage and flooring to go. Then I can get back to making video's (and trying to make a living).

Just painting, workbenches, storage and flooring to go. Then I can get back to making video's (and trying to make a living).

Great stuff Mark, it's a good feeling when a plan comes together. I'm looking forward to future videos! :-)

Mark I am a comparative short **BLEEP** at 6'2" compared to Don. I use an old Drawing Board. It lies flat and stands about 4"ish heigh at its lowest point and I sit on a barstool. I find it to be very flexible. I have used kitchen units and work top for the rest of the work area. 

Thank God I am only 5' 11.5".  I only had to use bog standard stuff.  It nearly killed me though and I am still seeing the physio about the damage to my knees through the constant praying.

here are some images though one of them looks like it is from an American movie.post-197-0-83902000-1406126786_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-97794000-1406126837_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-78531300-1406126878_thumb.jpg

Thank God I am only 5' 11.5".  I only had to use bog standard stuff.  It nearly killed me though and I am still seeing the physio about the damage to my knees through the constant praying.

here are some images though one of them looks like it is from an American movie.attachicon.gifphoto2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Excellent result Vic, I'm looking forward to finishing mine.

I hope you're not really as scary as you look!? You remind me of the time I cut up a complete Saab 99 and put the lot into a municipal skip. I actually set fire to myself with sparks from the grinder and had to jump into my dad's greenhouse water butt!