Le Cheminant 25 jewel Master Mariner Super Compressor

Can anyone please give me guidance on the case back removal of a Le Cheminant 25 jewel Master Mariner Super Compressor?  The case back looks like a regular snap on with an even bigger gap between the back and the rest of the case to insert a case opening knife but no matter how I try I cant  seem to lever it off. Obviously I dont want to ruin the back but I'm getting ready to throw it.

Chris

Is it definitley a Super Compressor there are two types of Super Compressor case back one is a screw down and one is a bayonet fitting both require a wrench to remove. Compressor and Compressor 2 case backs are snap on

They can be very difficult to remove and a proper caseback opener not a knife would be the best option, they can be particually difficult if the gasket has degraded and formed a gum between back and case.

• Like 1

I dont know if you have noticed or maybe you have removed it but the bezel is missing from the watch, and what is the curios word under the divers helmet on the back I can read suspe, have you a picture of the inside of the case back ?

1 hour ago, wls1971 said:

I dont know if you have noticed or maybe you have removed it but the bezel is missing from the watch, and what is the curios word under the divers helmet on the back I can read suspe, have you a picture of the inside of the case back ?

Seems to say SUSPENSE

Neil

The word is SUSPENSE....Perhaps it is because you have to wait so long to see inside because the back is so difficult to remove.

The bezel came of when struggling to remove said case back....Now I cant get it back on

• Like 1

Now and again you come across a real tight one. I purchased this tool and only use it with the tight one's but it works a treat. There are other styles but this works for me

58ce2f3e8b2d1_ScreenShot2017-03-19at07_10_57.png.d6f305e2b0d1c438ec93737ed8c8a827.png

To re-fit a tight case back or bezel you really need a case/crystal press. I prefer the screw style as these give more control.

If you look on the inside of the case back there is quite often but not always a 3 to 4 digit date code usually the month and year of manufacture  seperated by a dash, SUSPENSE intresting but never seen that before

"SUSPENSE" think I have found out what it is the movement is held in place with rubber blocks between the movement spacer ring and case to protect against shocks, I have a IWC yacht club that uses this kind of shock protection

@chrisdt I wonder if you would be good enough to post a picture of the bezel. I have what appears to be an identical Master Mariner in an EPSA Compressor case (which also says "SUSPENSE" on the back) except mine has an AS1903 inside (I suspect yours is probably also a 1903 as the 1906 is a day/date whereas the 1903 is just date).

Mine came in a job lot of stuff and is not as tidy as yours but it is on my list of projects to sort out. Mine didn't have a bezel when I got it and I assumed that it wasn't supposed to have one but you say that yours does. A pic would be most helpful as I would then know what to look out for.

Like yours mine is an absolute pig to open.

Your right about the rubber blocks wls 1971. In my opinion not a very good idea as they are starting to disintegrate and it would be almost impossible to remove them without them breaking up completely. Not impressed.

Pictures of the bezel for you @Marc

P1010036.JPG

P1010037.JPG

P1010038.JPG

Thanks @chrisdt, the pics are very useful. I might even have a crack at machining up a replacement bezel myself.

I had forgotten about the rubber shock mounting of the movement to the case. This is a system that Certina have used for a long time in their DS range. I wonder if there is any published data as to how effective it is.