mod watch v frankenwatch

Whats the difference between a mod watch and a frankenwatch ? 

There seems to be a lot of people on forums like watchUseek who turn their nose down at frankenwatches. But on the same forum there is an active sub-culture of seiko modders and Vostok modders. I can't see the difference, unless it goes to intent? A mod watch is proud to be modded where as a frankenwatch is trying to be passed off as something it's not? Or is it just a matter of snobbery. I don't see what the problem is with a 'frankenwatch' it would other wise have been scrapped! There seems to be a lot of snobbery, in the watch world, especially on places like watchUseek. 

In the car world you have people who do hot-rods, restomods, restorations, and replicas. All perfectly cool. If you take a "Fake" Porsche 550 Spider to a Porsche club meting you will be more than welcome. In fact my local Porsche center (factory owned I might add) had a replica 917 spider on display for their promotion of the new 917 boxter last year. The replica was built from scratch by a local club member. 

But if you took a "Fake" Rolex to Rolex club meting (assuming that's a thing) you would be hung drawn and quartered. 

What's the watch version of a hot-rod and/or a restomod? 

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with modding a watch, the people making changes to say a Seiko are not trying to deceive anyone by doing so they are just altering something to suit themselves.

Franken watches are often produced with the same intent as a outright fake and can be much harder to spot, they are often made up in such away as to add value to a otherwise standard or mundane watch the line between a franken and fake in my eyes is paper thin the people who try to polish s%*t with shinola and pass it off as a diamond are just criminal and you only have to browse Ebay for a few minutes to find them, it has nothing to do with snobbery and more to do with my moral compass as to why I detest franken watches as a whole.

1 hour ago, SteveT said:

I don't see what the problem is with a 'frankenwatch' it would other wise have been scrapped!

There is very little scrap nowadays parts are always needed and watches can be broken down for use in the parts bin or sold.

• Like 2

Ok I see .. it seems sometimes the term franken is used where mod is really what is meant. All these new terms to understand.

I really like the look of these old pocket watch movements being put into wristwatch cases. I've see them referred to with both terms. Either way I'm keen to give that a go, for my personal collection. 

4 hours ago, SteveT said:

I really like the look of these old pocket watch movements being put into wristwatch cases. I've see them referred to with both terms. Either way I'm keen to give that a go, for my personal collection. 

They are also sometimes referred to as "marriage" watches. Just to add to the confusion :)