Need help identifying a Rolex movement

Hi all,

I have came across a movement that I'm having a bit of trouble identifying. Markings on it are Rolex. It came in a Rolex case model 4127 which my research indicates to be a Rolex Athlete model. Not very familiar with that particular version of Rolex. I have found that the movement used in that model was normally the 710 caliber but when I compare a picture of that movement to the one I have I see some difference. First off there are extra holes in the balance cock where it looks like a swan neck went? The stud holder has a cover to keep the stud in place instead of the normal screw that I see on other examples of the 710. It almost looks like the movement should be something like a Rolex 630 or 645 missing the automatic wind mechanism. The movement did fit perfectly in the case. The watch had a Rolex oyster perpetual dial however the feet had been removed and dial was glued to movement.

The watch has a broken balance staff and the pivot is stuck in the upper jewel. I have tried getting it out with rodico but that hasn't worked. I reattached the balance cock for the pictures. Watch also has a slightly bent hairspring so that the outer coil will hit on the center wheel. Anyway before I can source parts I need to be sure of exactly what movement I have found. Any help would be surely appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles K

DSCN3255.JPG

DSCN3256.JPG

DSCN3257.JPG

Edited by CKelly

Its a caliber 630 center seconds without shock resist, a caliber 645 would have shock resist, as you have already worked out its a auto movement with the automatic mechanism removed the whole watch sounds like a bit of a franken.

• Like 2

The way to remove the broken pivot end is to strip down the balance bridge/cap jewel parts. I have tried other methods but this is the only method I have managed to a successful conclusion. I also hope you have the auto parts otherwise it is just going to be a project only watch Parts are as scarce as dragon poo..

Hi,

Thanks to all the replies. I did see the movement on ebay and have made an offer, we'll see what happens there. I can source a balance staff and jewel from Jules Borel. (Problem with the Jules Borel staff is there are several different staffs for different size hairspring collets). They do have a balance complete though. I had already stripped down the balance cock jewel assembly trying to get the broken pivot out, didn't work. Put it back together just for the picture. Maybe I'll try again while waiting on other parts. My son-in-law picked up the watch for $80.00 so it is a good project. There is a local person who might have parts as well.

Thanks,

Charles K

Personally I think you would be throwing good money after bad with that watch you have a movement from a bubble back Rolex  a case that should have a manual wind movement in it and a totally unrelated dial so parts from three seperate watches, if you buy the movement from Ebay it wont go into the case you have if you intend to reinstate the auto mechanism it will be too deep to fit. You could get a good return for your son-in-law's $80.00 bucks by selling it for parts and put the money to an all original watch.

The case you have must be worth at least $300.00 to someone and the movement broken down into parts should net more than the $80.00 spent.

Just my two penneth