Watch back gasket sizing

Hi gang,

I have replaced the battery in my wife's ESQ quartz watch. It has a snap back which was very difficult (for me anyway) to open.

I replaced the battery and replaced the gasket with one that was as close to my measurements as possible, using a set of calipers. The gasket seems to fit pretty well, but when I attempt to snap the case back on the gasket spooges out and now looks kind of stretched. When y'all size your gaskets do you choose the exact inside diameter to match the back or do you choose one slightly smaller so that it stretches over the back? 

Also, is there any magic trick to getting a really tight snap on back snapped back on?

Thanks all

• Like 1

I generally aim to have a little tension in the gasket holding itself to the inside of the case back, so in other words, i'd pick one 1 or 2 mm smaller, too much smaller and the gasket will stretch thin and be ineffective but 1 or 2 mm of stretching ought to make little enough difference.

I've often found case back gaskets that didn't look stretched after i opened the watch to do just as you described, so its not unheard of, they just got degraded or agitated enough from opening to give them a touch too much slack. 

Invest in good case back press, that's my only advise for tight case backs, the way  modern watches are made now means even basic fashion manufacturers are able to make incredibly tight fitting case backs and it's just no longer realistic to expect to be able to work on watches and close them just with your bare hands. 

Edited by Ishima

Thanks y'all. I will try sizing them a tad smaller in the future. I will also try a bit of grease to see if that helps. Coming from a woodworking background, I do have some parallel jaw claps that I may try to use to press the back on. It has already come in handy for pressing in a bracelet pin that I stupidly pushed partially out the wrong direction.

8 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

Since gaskets are pretty cheap I usually get the exact size and also a size or two smaller.  I've encounter the same problem though as a result of the gasket being too thick.

Depends, from experience, I originally purchased various sizes lots from China, BIG MISTAKE, they perish over time, become brittle, and frey.  So I binned the lot and purchased the more expensive option boxsets Swiss ISO type thick from cousinsuk.  Its not worth risking a watch water resistance with anything else to be honest.

I find the £52GBP box assortment very good quality.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/o-ring-box-sets

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• in general this shouldn't be any change. but in general questions like this it be nice to know the specifics of the watch in other words how was it performing before it was cased up and what is it doing now.
    • just as a reminder this watch is a Swatch group product. This will bring up a problem like spare parts and technical information. that I found some links to some information on when I talk about your watch and some of the technical and basically your watch is equivalent to 2834-2 for which I'm attaching the technical sheets. But equivalent does not mean exactly the same you want to do a search on the group for C07 as we discussed this watch before including the technical differences how it's supposed to be regulated and basically because it's watch group there is no parts availability. https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-c07-xxx/   https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/eta-movements-from-the-2824-2-to-the-powermatic-80-p_80840/ https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/h-10-movement-details.4636991/ eta CT_2834-2_FDE_481857_15.pdf
    • people be honest.... Swatch is evil for the watchmakers and repairers, BUT not everything in watches from Switzerland is from the Swatch-Group. As far as i know, Selitta got sacked by Swatch as a Movement-Assembler for them and they started to produce Movements in their own Name with slight Modifications. As far as i know, they sell Parts to the Market for their Movements. In most cases, if a ETA-Movement fails, it is a valid Option to replace it with a Selitta Movement, which i consider the Solution for this Mess with the Swatch-Group...... I have no Connection to anybody at Selitta, but being a Swiss-Guy, i still like to have Swiss-Made Watches, but not from the Swatch-Group.   ok ? regards, Ernst
    • Just one more greedy act by Swatch. They started a number of years ago here in the US..cutting off supplies to watchmakers that could build complications that many Swatch houses couldn't even touch. Old school masters who had gone through some of the most prestigious houses in the world. Otto Frei has some statements on their page about it. I tell all my customers to avoid new Swiss watches like the plague,..unless they just want an older one in their collection that still has some parts out on the market, or they have really deep pockets and don't mind waiting months and paying through the nose to get it back. Plenty of others to choose from..IE Seiko,..or other non-swiss brands Even a number of Chinese brands are catching up with the Swiss,..and I think that in time, their actions will be their downfall
    • Yes. If that's not what you are experiencing...start looking for something rubbing. A 1st guess is that one of the hands is rubbing against the hole in the center of the dial. Especially if you now have lower amplitude in face up/ face down positions.