It finally happened

Last night whilst reassembling a Felsa 1560 I fired the Return Bar Spring from the keyless work across the room, 45 minutes of searching failed to find it. I'm now about to spend £5.81 plus £2.88 postage to get another one from Cousins.

It was bound to happen to me sooner or later, just hope it doesn't happen too often. :D

• Like 4

Welcome to the Club! Did you try the vacuum approach? - vacuum the carpet then go through the dust bag?

Magnet approach? - trail a magnet on a string over the area?

Or did you fall on your knees, cursing creation? - that sometimes helps! :mad:

• Like 4

I recently had a part take flight, and my search for half an hour was fruitless, all the time during the search I had my Optivisor on, slightly raised, it was only then, when I took it off, the missing part presented itself on the top of the brow of the Optivisor :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 2

If you roll a strong flashlight slowly across the floor, sometimes the part will make a shadow and appear larger.  I have found missing parts like that.  A magnet is also a life-saver.  Sometimes I sweep the dust on the floor into a dustpan and run the magnet over the dustpan.  Most of the time, though, I'm on my knees either cursing or praying (both techniques work equally as well).  Seems my cursing sometimes makes the part mad enough to appear, and if that doesn't work, the praying may buy me a little mercy and the part, feeling sorry for having treating me so harshly, will come crawling back.  

Whatever your part or whatever your technique, know that you are not alone and all your forum peers are right behind you, cheering you on (with little or no snickering).  :D

Shirley

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sperki77 said:

If you roll a strong flashlight slowly across the floor, sometimes the part will make a shadow and appear larger.  I have found missing parts like that. 

Shirley

I tried that approach but it did not work this time.

On previous occasions I've always heard a 'tink' to give me an idea where it landed, but this time I heard nothing.

I searched, got my wife to search and tried again the next day before I gave up and ordered the part.

I'm sure tonight it will just appear back on the bench now that I've ordered a replacement...

Been there many times unfortunately !!!!   :pulling-hair-out:

Non-magnetic parts are the worst !!  I use a large loop of Gaffa Tape (which is very sticky) and inspect whats stuck to it with an eyeglass.  I have found end jewels, inca springs and even long lost bits using this method.  If I have to resort to a vacuum, I cover pipe with a fine cloth (old hanker-chief !) in which I wrap a very strong magnet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tmuir said:

I tried that approach but it did not work this time.

On previous occasions I've always heard a 'tink' to give me an idea where it landed, but this time I heard nothing.

I searched, got my wife to search and tried again the next day before I gave up and ordered the part.

I'm sure tonight it will just appear back on the bench now that I've ordered a replacement...

Yep!  The quickest way to find a part is to order a replacement...  :D

5 hours ago, canthus said:

Been there many times unfortunately !!!!   :pulling-hair-out:

Non-magnetic parts are the worst !!  I use a large loop of Gaffa Tape (which is very sticky) and inspect whats stuck to it with an eyeglass.  I have found end jewels, inca springs and even long lost bits using this method.  If I have to resort to a vacuum, I cover pipe with a fine cloth (old hanker-chief !) in which I wrap a very strong magnet. 

Cool method!  Come to think of it... don't watchmakers have the cleanest floors in town (at least around their workbench)?  :biggrin:

Using a magnet I've found Novodiac springs in my shirt pocket, my glasses case - when it is in my shirt pocket, on shelves near my work bench and in my hair. I've never found one on the floor; however, I've found other things on the floor.

Once a newly-oiled end jewel ended up on my loop. I was wondering why things had a reddish tinge...

O yes, and after you buy the part you lost you'll almost always find it...

Dave

There are nice UV light LED flashlights.  The "Black Light" makes lots of stuff light up like jewels and the blue steel springs.  Handy to have around. 

Also those dandy UK made Dyson Vacuums don't run you parts though the impeller before the make it to the dust bin.   

• Like 1

Yup. Good thing I took a closer look.

Also those dandy UK made Dyson Vacuums don't run you parts though the impeller before the make it to the dust bin.   

Any old vacuum cleaner with a piece of the Mrs old tights over the nozzle works perfectly [emoji106]

Sent from my Honor 5c

• 1 month later...
On March 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM, StuartBaker104 said:

Fired a strap pin into my printer the other week. Fortunately turning it upside down and shaking for a bit got it out. Was worried for a whike that I was going to have to learn how to take apart something bigger...

To quote Frank Lloyd Wright - rather loosely, "Move your bench."

LOL

Fired a strap pin into my printer the other week. Fortunately turning it upside down and shaking for a bit got it out. Was worried for a whike that I was going to have to learn how to take apart something bigger...

Just wait until you fire one into your eyeball. Yes, it hurts like hell, now I wear my clear cycling glasses while doing the "big" dismantling stuff.
Will be buying a visor soon so will still be protected [emoji4]

Sent from my Honor 5c