Rubbed in Jewel Closing

I was doing a repair on an old German Pocket Watch that had a cracked jewel. The jewel was seated in the plate and rubbed in. Here is the shot.a9c65164e37cefe1859c862b711be3e8.jpg

The first step was the push out the jewel which I did with my jeweling tool.

After which I needed to fund a replacement jewel and rub it back in.b6f8634f268464fca658076a1c342957.jpg49ce145e20a8c4ca48e4938a6dd30adb.jpg

So what I did was use a concave stake from my staking set and placing it over the edge of the volcano and rotating it slowly until the edges closed in. It worked.dbd642411eed90fab00b45a135fc6521.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I just refer to them as Jewel rubbing in tools, they turn up reasonably regularly on ebay, but if they are in good condition they are hotly contested.

Don't bid on them unless they show photos of the tips so you can see they are still good, or you are getting them for a low enough price to take a risk.

There are two types, opening and closing.

The opening have flat ends, while the closing have concave ends. They usually come in sets of 3 sizes and can be a complete set of 6 (3 opening and 3 closing) or they can be just a set of 3 opening or closing

• Like 1

The trick is a lot of sellers don't know what they are and think they are vices or draftmans tools.

I regularly (read daily) do ebay searches just on the word 'watchmaker' and then select it to only show me 'used' items, thats the way I find most items.

There is one set on ebay now finishing in a couple of days and was another set that just finished a day or two ago.

I would be bidding on this set myself if I hadn't just spent several hundred on other tools.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Watchmakers-tools-set-of-cased-holding-pin-vices-numbered-set-of-6/362173530735?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sorry for dragging your post off topic Jdrichard, nice job I've yet to try to replace any rubbed in jewels myself, I'm still after a closing set of tools

• Like 2