timegrapher Apps

SteveT

I was wondering how do the timegrapher phone app's out there compare to a dedicated bench top machine. I'm guessing it's all down to the piezoelectric pickup? I installed tickoprint on my phone the other day. But to get the full features you need to shell out $30, if you then also have to shell out for a piezoelectric mic, then you are almost at the same price point as a cheap chinese bench top machine!

• Like 1

I can't even work out how to use them, the ones i've tried are so arcane. used a bench top one that's easy enough for a child to use. I'd like to figure it out. I think wildspectra was the main one i tried. 

Edited by Ishima

It's far from perfect, but after my first reply I downlaoded a bunch off of google play and started testing them, one that worked for me was 'hairspring' takes a minute to 'synchronise' before it can give you a reading and its only precise to the minute on the amount of gain/loss, but it is quite simple and like i said, it worked.

Edited by Ishima

I have tried a few on my iPhone & they work Ok the biggest issue is getting a good pick up. The best I found was the ear piece supplied with the phone. Also if I remember correctly they do not show beat error only how much it is gaining or losing. There are a couple of apps one is "clockmaster" 

A few weeks ago I tested some Iphone apps. It is surely tempting to use a smartphone as timing machine.

For testing I used watches of course, but mainly my generator for synthetic tick noise, which I had built to test my own windows timing machine app PCTM. Pickup was a piezo mic with internal preamp, but also the generator signal directly.

(Bottom: Rate, amplitude, escapement error and signal level are exactly adjustable)

To make a long story short, result was worse than expected. Particularly amplitude detecting - if implemented at all - was sucessful sporadic at best. Some apps displayed wrong values, the user had no chance to recognize this. 
Common to all apps is a waiting time beyond all bearing for the first measurement result.

It seems all developers emphasize on nice design and on marketing, but make little effort to securely evaluate the tick noise (which is the real challenge). For professional (i.e. quick and reliable) measurements these smartphone apps are not (yet?) adequate.

Frank

SyTic.jpg

SyTic1.jpg

The Watch Tuner Time Grapher gives Rate in seconds/day, Beat Error and Amplitude. It also graphs the sounds so you can see Beat Error and whether or not it is running fast or slow at a glance. If the watch is magnetized you can tell this at a glance as well because of the haphazard pattern.

It's a green app with a white dial. I can't remember what it cost.

Dave

A present I have nothing to evaluate the accuracy of a watch either before or after working on it. I therefore think as an amateur (beginner) that £15 on an app is a bargain. On the other hand, there are some good Chinese dedicated timegraphers for £160. Buy cheap buy twice I wonder?p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, szbalogh said:

That was developed by a member here and the video is made by me  :D

Here is the topic for details ;)

So, here you go. It's about time to let the many new members like me know about this and other as such, which is really new to us!

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Been using this app for a month and just thought I'd share my experience.

The 'Watchcheck' app is not a timing app in the sense that it does not check the rate, instead it just x-refs the time with the internet time and lets you know the deviation. You check this over a period of days and it will let you know the overall deviation.

The watch in question was a citizen with an 8200 movement. I had already serviced it and wore it for a few days and this was the result.

Screenshot_2019-02-18-10-07-12-95.thumb.png.e6063691aa33650119f86ccc0b3a9ee4.png

From the above you can see that the watch was gaining slightly on the 2nd-3rd Feb. I tweaked it a bit and brought it down to +10 secs/day. On the 7th Feb I played around with it and the result was a -16.2secs/day. I then started a new log .. as below as the older results would skew the readings with the newer settings and it would take longer to show the  correct daily rate.

Screenshot_2019-02-18-10-06-50-14.thumb.png.663ed59e71c71f72229bf089ad9e8445.png

So the above is the reading over an 8 day period. You can see there are times it gains and there are times it looses. You can usually discern a pattern and the app allows you to track the position of the watch, eg worn, dial up, dial down etc. You can also record the temp...skin, +4degC, +20degC, +35degC.

Using a timegrapher is best but this is a simple way to get the watch running well according to how you use it. The Citizen is now at -0.8s/day and I expect it do drop to around +2 after a month or so. Looking at the details I believe it will loose a few seconds overnight i left unworn dial up (I wear the watch to bed mostly!) so the end result should be similar.

A simple app but convenient to use, good luck!

Anilv

• 2 weeks later...

Hi   Watch-O-scope is a program written  for lap tops  with a home build microphone  / amplifier, I have got it in my laptop albeit the lite version  which does not allow printing and find it works ok I also use a Horotec unit for final checking which also has pickups for quartz and mechanical watches and also one for setting up clock pendulum beat a very useful tool both do a good job giving you all the information you need and some extras, Just google  Watch-O-Scope  for a look,  last time I enquired the full version cost about £40.