Hi to all, I am in need of some direction or if possible anyone who will know of this watch. I was given a international watch co watch,,

c.8541

schaffhausen

stay brite steel

803a

1/  what does that mean some i have figured out as i have waded through the net.

2/ it does run but the crown wheel and shaft if that is right pullout completely even after you reseat it and tighten the retaining screw 

3/ the date indicator plate has a tendency to stick and i believe that this is caused by the plate that is screwed in place over the top of the date indicator, if i back the screws of it will turn but cannot think that they would be left in that way from the factory,

4/ in under the date indicator is a loose steel ring, it is held in place but it is not secured in any way bar, positioning points and you can here it tinkling.  

any assistance is well appreciated, thankyou pd

Without removing the dial & hands it is always difficult to analyse the fault. I have found a link which shows drawings of the 8541.

http://www.gregsteer.net/IWC/Cal_85/Calibre8541Watches.htm

Also see below a pdf of the parts & ref numbers. I have noticed Cousins carry most of the spares if required but they are on the pricey side.

6686_IWC Cal 854, 8541 .pdf

• Like 1

Well you dont say what you have figured out so I will say what I know from the information you have given, your movement (1852723) was manufactured in 1967 and your case (1777673) between 1966-1968 so that ties in as being all original the 803a is the model number being a round stainless steel case or as IWC use the alternative name "Staybrite".

Thats a hell of a watch to be given regarded by many as one of the finest automatics produced, people will probably have a better idea of whats wrong if you supply pictures to better outline your description

Wayne

Edited by wls1971

Thankyou so much everyone,

1/ stem is all one piece but what i can see is the groove where the setting lever locates ,the edges are all chattered and chipped.

2/ the ring under the date wheel is the disk door and this is what is making the tinkling sound, is this ment to be set firm or float around.I have not been able figure out what it does precisely. 

3/ as soon as i am  able to get clear photoes i will load them up. I only stripped it down so far when i thought better of it and not just wading in.

4 The sites that were provided are very helpful and thanks all

the only thing i had figured was was the movement number, no idea for the rest of the provided numbers