Watch of Today

mk3

As interesting and informative this is, please can we keep this thread on track
"Watch of Today" ie "What watch have you chosen to wear Today"

Such posts need, no deserve, to have their own thread so that any successes can be easily found by future users and not buried in a thread that could become 1000 pages long.

Thanks for understanding.

Hi , does your watch have a black dial ?  Is 2500D the Omega Model number ?

I am not up to speed on the Omega numbering  system .

I have the blue wavy dial 300 . Also a Pre-bond 200m .

Oh , say hello to your model . She looks like a newer model .

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 1

Hi , does your watch have a black dial ?  Is 2500D the Omega Model number ?
I am not up to speed on the Omega numbering  system .
 I have the blue wavy dial 300 . Also a Pre-bond 200m .

Oh , say hello to your model . She looks like a newer model .
Yes black lacquer dial. It's the caliber 2500 D series. The newer ones have a 8800 and an exhibition back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Deggsie said:

Can anyone post their watches on this thread, or is there a protocol to follow first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, all members can, let us enjoy watching you watch collection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

I am starting to think it comes out through the Crystal..when I get a chance I am going to attack it that way

Yes you're right about that. I looked up some information and found that these are front loaders and that the movement is a Seiko 3302 A. The crystal is supposed to be difficult to remove, and with that low profile, I can understand why. I am going to try later today to remove it. Here is a pic I got from electric-watches.co.uk:

Stellaris-Movement-2.jpg.09b792630bcc90d6e05bc2bef5f772e0.jpg

J

On 5/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, ro63rto said:

As interesting and informative this is, please can we keep this thread on track
"Watch of Today" ie "What watch have you chosen to wear Today"

Such posts need, no deserve, to have their own thread so that any successes can be easily found by future users and not buried in a thread that could become 1000 pages long.

Thanks for understanding.

Point taken, Understood.

I took the day off today, and ended up doing some mowing and strimming.

I couldn't persuade the 1981 Seiko quartz I initially hoped to revive, to tick, so instead a quick scrub and a fresh battery, and I popped on yet another 1980s quartz number from the junk lots.

RIMG0056.thumb.JPG.d68f3aa1bf1b8a0cb9a7e6ae954e94cf.JPG

This one is a fairly vanilla dress Sekonda. It is suffering a little from the plating pox, but on reflection I actually think it maybe is too good for gardening with. 

I picked up a couple of NOS watch bands a while back.

RIMG0070.thumb.JPG.bbd308ac17cc77e391808b58df674af0.JPG

"High quality French real leather" apparently, or if you put the embossed wording on the back (semelle croute de cuir veritable) in to Google translate.. "genuine leather crotch sole", which sounds more like something you might expect to find strapped to your wrist in Madam Sin's basement of correction in some dark corner of the Quartier Pigalle, than a quality French watch strap.

Some day machine translation will improve no doubt, but I rather enjoy it the way it is.

RIMG0073.thumb.JPG.c0a5f9e91c5d68ef03e38c9784e50316.JPG

The "crotch sole" bands were in new condition, but dry as a stick, so a little leather rejuvenation was in order. I popped one on to replace the XL strap that was on this Lorus quartz, so it is a much more comfortable fit, with less excess strap flapping in the breeze.

• Like 1

Today I have a Ruhla/UMF "Falux" branded pin lever based on a late variant of their Caliber 24 design and produced in the GRD around 1978.

RIMG0087.thumb.JPG.5b9e57a4846fee2549bda906c4af01f5.JPG

The movement looked familiar, and indeed is very similar to a Saxon branded Ruhla I restored at back in november.  I found a couple of nearly identical versions of this dial on line, with Saxon and other logos.

417965382_TimeGraphPostServiceat2019-05-1611-25-32.png.49d77cc70abe1917975f26fe354705c0.png

It runs reasonably well, but the balance objects if I try to get the beat error below about 3ms, so there is probably a little wear or eccentricity issue there. I didn't delve any deeper as I suspect it might not be possible to improve on the results owing to the somewhat rudimentary nature of the balance.

It whirs away at a somewhat pedestrian 18000 bph with an almost cartoonish and very audible tick-tock, but has kept pretty reliable time over the last day or so.

Edit: Given the spec of the movement, I think this particular one is well within spec.

Escapement: Pin Pallet Escapement with a Safety Blade and Roller
Balance Spring: Temperature Compensating
Accuracy: +240 sec/ – 120 sec/day
Number of Beats per Hour: 18,000
Diameter of movement: 24mm
Height of movement: 6mm

-2 to +4 mins per day. That is a pretty big target to hit.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

Re-clickified and straight on to my wrist. 1981 Timex Marlin - pocket money price (under the magic £4.04) as it was sold as not working.

RIMG0096.thumb.JPG.73bb1f0063e9c48446eca39d9d54bc4a.JPG

Initial time grapher results suggest it is going well, but I'll keep it on at least for today and see. It is not 100% pristine as there a couple of small chips on the lugs, and wear on the crown, but the dial and hands are clean as a whistle.

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

The dial frankly looks too good for a franken. If it is, find out which backstreet shop in Delhi did it, I may need to pay them a visit.

It is possible. Case snap back looks correct, case, dial and hands are all really nice. Movement is 17 jewel swiss with the ever present plastic movement ring but no other markings, I'm not that familiar with oris but I saw this dial and thought. Oooh that's lovely.

Definitely not a painted dial though so maybe a re cased nice original dial?

Edited by m1ks