• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 1961 Omega Constellation. Hard to believe its 60 years old. I don't think the Omega bracelet is correct . I believe these types came out in 62'. Doesn't matter since I like these more squared grain

Today.... My 1940's Heuer Ref 347. Rugged looking watch with its battle scared dial. It has a Valjoux 22 under the hood. It's quite a large case for the time which gives it more of a contemporary

1919 Burlington by Vortic Watch CO. USA

Posted Images

Office bound today so the Lemania gets an outing.

post-73-0-96631000-1446628808_thumb.jpg

Probably my best car boot score to date at just £7.50.

Filthy dirty and not running but all it needed was a COA, a light polish, and a replacement crystal and strap.

• Like 4

I'm really quite enjoying this thread. Partly because of all the fantastic watches that other people are posting, but also because I am really looking at my own collection and rediscovering neglected pieces. Today's offering is a case in point; my Mondia Sea Scout.

post-73-0-18738100-1446725555_thumb.jpg

I mentioned this one in an earlier post as the watch that first got me interested in the Mondia brand. It was my 16th birthday present from my parents and my first proper watch so has a lot of sentimental value.

Needs a service and a new crystal but otherwise a great little watch.

• Like 1

Tough choice GuiBer, they're all rather splendid. I think I'd have to toss a coin between the one on the left and the one on the right.

Today I have gone for the Huntana.

post-73-0-18235600-1446818680_thumb.jpg

I just love the dial on this one. It has a UT6325 inside and is the loudest watch I have ever come across.

That's a much better pic GuiBer and it is indeed a handsome watch, but I still think I prefer the dial design on the other two.

As for the Huntana this is the first and only example that I have found but it represents what to me is a rich source of damned good watches on the cheap; namely the little guys that were plentiful in the pre-quartz era but were too small to survive the onslaught of the electronic age. There were many such brands out there who assembled quality movements from the likes of ETA, A Schild, Unitas, etc into decent quality stock cases and just added their own branded dials. Because they are brands that no one has heard of they tend to go for peanuts, so you can get a hell of a lot of watch for your money.

In fact I also prefer the more "classic" design of the other two, (which differ only in the colour of the hour and minute hands).

Furthermore the Citizen/Noblia doesn´t belong to me anymore, I sold it to a Noblia collector. (The photos were taken some days ago!)

Thanks for your information about Huntana and other interesting brands that doesn't exist anymore, which is really a pitty!

Blue Dial Rolex Date model for me today, been sick for a few days with some virus thing that has been going around and have had this on for a few days now. I do like this watch, it matches its grey dial sister posted earlier in the thread.

post-1462-0-84367500-1447103890_thumb.jp

Edited by mk3
  • Like 1

I was away from work the last couple of days with a cold, but there was a bright spot on Monday; I got a package in the mail from Komsomolsk, Ukraine, containing this little item:

IMG_0152_zpsqvyvq5fa.jpg

It's a "Signal", which was apparently a Poljot under the skin. The markings on the dial indicate that it was made by the First Moscow Watch Factory in Kirov. I'm not sure of the date, but the vendor estimates sometime in the 1950s.

Speaking of dial markings, note the "15, 30, 45" between the hour indices. These are intended as a reference when setting the alarm via the upper crown and the hand pointed at 4:00 in the photo. It has two separate mainsprings, one for the movement and another for the alarm. With the alarm spring wound, it sounds at the specified time, sounding like the watch is blowing a tiny razzberry at you.

As for the movement, here's a photo taken by the vendor:

Signal_movement_zpsfyxt35hd.jpg

As you can see, the alarm works have their own bridge at the lower right. At bottom, you can just make out the star wheel that actuates a little hammer that taps the inside of the case. It whizzes pretty rapidly, and when fully wound, the alarm sounds for only a few seconds. To reset the alarm for next time, you just rewind its spring.

I really like this one! The case is about medium size, smaller than my other watches, so it almost looks delicate. But I find it very interesting, and I look forward to wearing it regularly.

Cheers,

Gryf

• Like 2

An odd feature of the Signal that I've noticed is that it has lume dots at 12, 3, 6, and 9, but no lume on the hands or anywhere else. As far as I know, these are the original hands. The same vendor had postings for two other Signals nearly identical to mine, and the hands were the same on all of them, with no lume. Go figure...

@mk3 - That's a very handsome Armitron! I like the combination of brushed stainless and polished gold.

Gryf

Today's watch of the day is a D Series Rolex Submariner 50th Anniversary Edition watch with green bezel. Bought new in 2005 and worn once or maybe twice but as I brought it out in response to another thread I'm going to wear this watch today.

post-1462-0-05746800-1447620183_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-07095100-1447620199_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-01217900-1447620217_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-92097000-1447620224_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-38726000-1447620238_thumb.jp