Watch of Today

mk3

On 1/13/2023 at 6:31 PM, GuyMontag said:

I like that channel too. I do wish he was a little more concise. He can, literally, take an hour to get across a concept that could be summarized in a paragraph in 2 minutes so I find that I don't watch his videos as much as some others. But he seems such a nice and friendly guy that sometimes I don't mind the time sink.

This was a really cheap ebay find that came with the original (I think) band which was the main reason I bought it. The listing said it needed some TLC and that "Keeps time but sometimes you can't set the time". Just needed a cleaning and is good to go.

20230110_110553-copy.thumb.jpg.077fd65565afb9fbfaadc6efe3cb703b.jpg

I agree, makes his lives streams tough to "watch". I tend to try to fast forward through some of the chit chat acknowledging members on his uploaded content, but sometimes his tangents have very good nuggets of information. Also, he tends to not show the reassembly, which I get because the cleaning can take some time, but overall he is great!

RIMG0508.thumb.JPG.f46c881af0cfe022c496b8bb9860c02f.JPG

Following on from the PUW 681A,683A quartz alarm I posted about the other day, I have another German watch for you all. This time it is a 17 Jewel  "F-Hinds" Bifora 115/1 which I picked up back in November of 2018. There is a short history of Bifora here -> http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Bifora_000

Since I hadn't worn it in a while, I decided it was due some more TLC and a bit of an outing. It was actually still running as well as it did after I serviced it back then, so I guess I must have made a reasonable job of it.

Today, as well as another quick service, it also got a fresh crystal and a new band (those dust specs are on the outside of the new crystal, I assure you).

image.png.95cdc9890c37c0fe6195bfbdd7965763.png

The swing has picked up to a slightly more healthy 250 degrees or so this time, from the 180 degrees I had before.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 4

I love the details on that. The little red bordered squares around the lume pips and the layout of the dial. Seiko make some beautiful watches.

RIMG0543.thumb.JPG.203d15a1ec44642f538cc4823b23baa7.JPG

I must admit to indulging a guilty pleasure. I picked up yet anther of those cheap "Atlas Editions" Chinese pocket watches for 0.99p a few weeks back, so this evening I frittered away an hour or so servicing it and getting it to run around +/- 5 sec per day. It actually looks reasonably presentable for what it is, namely a Chinese standard movement with free factory fitted thumb prints. A completely pointless exercise perhaps, but it kept me amused.

@grsnovi  I don't suppose you would consider a swap? 😜

I thought not. Not even if I throw in the chain for free?

Edited by AndyHull

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I picked up yet anther of those cheap "Atlas Editions" Chinese pocket watches for 0.99p a few weeks back

Looks pretty nice in that photo but you're correct: I'll hang on to the Seiko Andy 🙂

Oddly enough, the hands on that chrono had gotten out of sync and it took me a while to get them back the way they needed to be (had to do a net search for a manual). Hold this and press that three times while standing on one foot...

Had a quick look at eBay and there seems to be quite a few of those pocket watches (mostly in the UK - was there a fire sale or something)?

12 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Had a quick look at eBay and there seems to be quite a few of those pocket watches (mostly in the UK - was there a fire sale or something)?

They were issued/sold/given away with various promotional magazines by such companies as "Atlas Editions", which you might find on the magazine shelves of the high street news vendors, and as advertising gimmicks from a number of large companies. They typically come as  a "series" with different themes.

One of the most popular sets have pictures of "Eddie Stobart" trucks on them, others have steam engines, or WWII fighter planes. There is even a series of "Antique" pocket watches with some very odd, not quite homage versions of early pocket watches.

They are quite attractive, so long as you don't examine them too closely, and since there are so many different varieties they show up at pocket money prices. I have bid on a few and if you are lucky, you can pick them up for 0.99p with no other bidders.

The quality is extremely variable. Some have quite well produced mechanisms, others have definite signs of zero quality control. That one had a bunch of finger prints on the mechanism that had tarnished their way into the brass. It also has the cheapest of cheap jewels, and a case made out of shiny pot metal of some description. Probably die cast zinc, similar to the stuff they make children's toy cars from. From a distance it looks really smart, but under the microscope all of its flaws are all too obvious. A fun toy, but little more.

Edited by AndyHull

1973 Bulova model 11636-8W with an 11AOACB movement on (I believe) the original bracelet. This one looks to be the same as the Ambassador model but was sold overseas and lacks the "Ambassador" model name on the dial. I didn't think I would have a hope in hell of finding a new crystal so I was lucky that it polished up nicely.

11636-8W.jpg.db38f4244391263fc5ca28b0aa173c0d.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

1973 Bulova model 11636-8W with an 11AOACB movement on (I believe) the original bracelet. This one looks to be the same as the Ambassador model but was sold overseas and lacks the "Ambassador" model name on the dial. I didn't think I would have a hope in hell of finding a new crystal so I was lucky that it polished up nicely.

11636-8W.jpg.db38f4244391263fc5ca28b0aa173c0d.jpg

Now that is interesting....Longines Super Thin 1970, caliber 428, 17JDSC08963.JPG

Edited by GomBoo
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

VERY NICE! Its been I while since I've posted...working and school have  taken up all my time.

Limit ‘junior’ model w/Revue cal 56. A little pricey for 404 but it was a no reserve auction non-runner I won for 8 GBP. The mis-threaded case back was fixed with a glued flange nut. Cleaned up and new main later it is running fine but a little fast. I may fiddle a bit with it later but the wife wants it and may not care it’s a minute off by days end…

EE94E7A2-0BF0-4B3B-9298-8CB7FD24FF0C.jpeg

3B552B63-6E96-428E-B5B3-890F68D8C8DC.jpeg

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 6

@Steve1811uk

Not Really bought as a none runner from america of ebay came with wrong tach ring and glass no glass gasket and I think a replacment dial and a seiko 5 strap so got a period appropriate replacement. All the movement needed was a good service and clean as luck had it I had a spare tach ring had to touch up the hands a little and re loom and replaced all gaskets now everything works as it should chrono flys back about a second out but I can live with that think I will replace pushers at some point through they are a bit bent.

8 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Someone tried to open it with a cheap case wrench and made some deep scratches...oh, you mean the watch's history, don't you? 😊

Not my doing it came without the back even screwed on just thrown in the bag.

• Like 2

6139-6002 New dial, hands, glass, gaskets, strap and tach ring. Bought again from America as a none runner needed a new hammer spring and both day and date fingers not the best out there but its good enough for me.

IMG_E1870[1].JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, Razz said:

Hoping to get started on this (Croton) Nivada Grenchen 25j ETA 2451 automatic. Very lovely dial and Speidel bracelet. Picked it up for $5 US a few years back at a swap meet.

DSCN5043~2.JPG

DSCN5044~2.JPG

An update on this one. I opened it up and did some more research and took some pictures as well. ETA2451 is the base caliber for the Tudor 2483. This is extremely clean on the inside and looks like initials for 1 service. No marks on the screws or anywhere else that I can see. Highly polished, including the click.245324747_DSCN51002.thumb.JPG.3da5e83893452bd68190b2de6a9ad695.JPG1675595699_DSCN51012.thumb.JPG.8df0fe7324a9eeb5ba9ae0d3d6fe5222.JPG1288542855_DSCN51022.thumb.JPG.aa87a07a20d7d9c3ee12b57fda8ccc8e.JPG1760718463_DSCN51032.thumb.JPG.f0c3777190d315b1dcaf51ae9ac46301.JPG1083177256_DSCN51042.thumb.JPG.afc64424e99aa1e0d1f47f29d972ef32.JPG1012439587_DSCN51052.thumb.JPG.30fb97c494eec2198aea577301178339.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/6/2023 at 1:50 AM, Cad101 said:

6139-6002 New dial, hands, glass, gaskets, strap and tach ring. Bought again from America as a none runner needed a new hammer spring and both day and date fingers not the best out there but its good enough for me.

IMG_E1870[1].JPG

Oooh... this one is on my list, I've always wanted a Pogue. 

1974 Bulova President 'A'. In the listing the seller curiously said that "it runs" but that the "Crown has not been pulled and time has not been set since acquisition." Riiight... what an odd thing to say, I wonder why? Of course as soon as I got it I pulled the crown and it snapped right off with a broken stem. Curious 🙂

307716064_1974-Bulova-President-A.thumb.jpg.84f2f93b758e567af9cf103338fbfcf0.jpg

• Like 3

It came in the mail a couple days ago!  I posted about it earlier in "Which watch do you have coming in the mail".  Now it has been cleaned, oiled, and adjusted,  and it's running well.  Here below is my 1940 Elgin driver's watch!

It was meant to be worn on the side of the wrist so that, when driving, you could merely glance down to read the time, and needn't take your hand off the wheel.  It is a very cool little timepiece, the mark of a vintage motorist.  I have a hunch that once car clocks became standard equipment the driver's watch fell out of favor. Pity.

It has a grade 519 movement with 15 jewels and is a very standard and straightforward movement throughout.  But the case, with its motoring panache, is just snazzy as the day is long.

20230223_205747.jpg

20230223_205257.jpg

• Like 2

Not technically my watch-of-the-day as I received it last week, but since I just joined here I'll post it anyway. 

I recently turned 50 and a friend make a comment months ago which stuck in my head... "wouldn't it be cool to mark the occasion with a watch which was made the same year you were born?" I've always wanted to treat myself to a Speedmaster and thought I'd take the plunge with this idea in mind. Hence searching for "Omega Speedmaster Professional, production year 1973"... saw plenty of moonwatches (which I do still intend to get one day, finances permitting)... but in my research I happened across something I wasn't even aware existed... the "Mark" series of Speedmasters. The Mark IV in particular was ONLY produced in 1973 (with some minor exceptions) and I loved the look of it... took my time and tracked down a beautiful example, so voila! Here she be.....

1107609011_Screenshot2023-02-24at10_44_47.thumb.png.9e0da335d833982802d9e1d19f2275f4.png

67685835_Screenshot2023-02-24at10_44_56.thumb.png.6dab0ed4c5a6108cfa6f7c24187e205b.png

I'm beyond happy and chuffed with it 😄 ... I just wish I looked in this good condition after 50 years!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

It came in the mail a couple days ago!  I posted about it earlier in "Which watch do you have coming in the mail".  Now it has been cleaned, oiled, and adjusted,  and it's running well.  Here below is my 1940 Elgin driver's watch!

It was meant to be worn on the side of the wrist so that, when driving, you could merely glance down to read the time, and needn't take your hand off the wheel.  It is a very cool little timepiece, the mark of a vintage motorist.  I have a hunch that once car clocks became standard equipment the driver's watch fell out of favor. Pity.

It has a grade 519 movement with 15 jewels and is a very standard and straightforward movement throughout.  But the case, with its motoring panache, is just snazzy as the day is long.

20230223_205747.jpg

20230223_205257.jpg

Very nice, a bit different. 

• Like 1

Sadly missing its front bezel and crown, but otherwise this looks complete. The hairspring also looks concentric, so there is a reasonable chance I should be able to get this going.

I have no idea who fabricated the mechanism, but I intend to try to figure that out. Any clues will be gratefully received.
A friend of ours is a model making engineer, and may be persuaded to assist in fabricating the missing bezel on his lathe if I have nothing suitable.

AsPurchase4-l1600.jpg

AsPurchase3-l1600.jpg

AsPurchase2-l1600.jpg

AsPurchase1-l1600.jpg

11 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Sadly missing its front bezel and crown, but otherwise this looks complete. The hairspring also looks concentric, so there is a reasonable chance I should be able to get this going.

I have no idea who fabricated the mechanism, but I intend to try to figure that out. Any clues will be gratefully received.
A friend of ours is a model making engineer, and may be persuaded to assist in fabricating the missing bezel on his lathe if I have nothing suitable.

AsPurchase4-l1600.jpg

AsPurchase3-l1600.jpg

AsPurchase2-l1600.jpg

AsPurchase1-l1600.jpg

Is the crown and stem missing? Show us the final result.