Watch of Today

mk3

Today my 1969 Tissot Seastar Chronograph. This is one of my favorite watches which I consider one of Tissot's best works. It was made during the time when Tissot was truly a competitor in horology. It is somewhat a rare watch as this model was only  produced in 1969. It has a 1277 Lemania movement, which makes this watch, in my humble opinion one of the best vintage chronograph watches out there dollar per dollar. I do have the original bracelet, I decided to put it on a vintage swiss Tropic Star band. Most examples are out there have lots of water damage and or the bezel is scratched up beyond legibility so i am lucky.

20200417_110344.jpg

• Like 4

Another interesting HMT joins the low cost crew today.

RIMG0870.thumb.JPG.c6ea8ee6b69cfdb69f17332457b0ff32.JPG

An HMT 'Ambedkar Centenari' 1891-1991 – A.B.Ambedkar Centenary.

RIMG0864.thumb.JPG.80bd388be078cdc05639462ad48fee24.JPG

This one uses a manual wind HMT 0231 (Citizen 200/1802 licensed copy) caliber.

The odd spelling of Centenari appears to have been how these left the Bangalore factory. There are quite a number of similar examples on line.

The (later?) quartz version uses the "Centenary" spelling.

There is always the chance that the dial is after market, but it looks to be genuine, and for what I paid for it, I'm not going to loose any sleep over worrying on that score.

This one arrived looking immaculate, on as new unworn strap, although it was made in the 1990s.

If you are looking for a simple watch to practice your servicing and repair skills on, these HMTs are perfect.

Expect to pay around £10 to £30 for a good clean example, and under £10 for some of the "franken dialled" Mumbia specials (which make a good source of HMT/Citizen 020X and 180X spares if nothing else). 

This one cost a mere £3.20 plus postage, which was surprising as the commemorative and interesting HMTs usually sell for much more. There appears to be a bit of a cult following for these watches developing on line. They may never reach the stratospheric prices of an Omega, but they will probably never be as inexpensive again as they are now.

The postage was almost as much as the watch I might add. The listing did state that it was an "AUTOMATIC" but that is par for the course. I've seen quartz watches listed as automatic, so you have take that description with a pinch of salt. I expected it to be what it was, namely a manual wind.  

If you hunt around on ebay, then for little more than a cup of tea and a sticky bun, or some other pre-lockdown treat, you can bag yourself a quality manual wind licensed Citizen movement to practice on. This one is running a little weak with a swing around 200 degrees, so I'll give it a quick clean and service. If you take care with them, you should be able to dial them in to +/- 10 sec per day fairly easily.

The balance is a relatively sturdy, if utilitarian construction and there is no simple way to adjust the beat error, so adjusting that takes a little more delicate fiddling to get it down to acceptable levels.

They do however seem to run reasonably well even with a relatively large error though, and many of them appear to have left the factory that way. 

• Like 1

Beat error is probably the hardest thing to correct, with this type of balance.Even at the factory.Low cost unadjusted movements can be expected to be hit or miss in this regard, regardless of country of manufacture.The japanese version of this movement used in the caravelle line suffers from this same malady. Some are spot on , some are pretty bad when it comes to this.But in general if not overly worn , once serviced they are dependable and keep decent time.In the case of the HMT the bonus is a very good case.Particularly the screw backs, they beat hands down the plated brass /pot metal cases used by low end assemblers that rot on your wrist from the least bit of sweat.

As ersatz as it gets.the dial movement  and hands came from a plastichrome  fashion  dive watch.the case came from ebay and the band from the Walmart  discount  bin..it works. The stem alignment  is a little  off.but its quartz and as such tolerable. 

20200418_104431.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

@AndyHull, is the dial in this a paper one? Almost looks like a photocopied image. But that may be more an issue of perspective, lol.

Nope, not a paper dial, but it is very simply pad printed in one colour on a plain white dial blank.

The manufacturer of these watches was a very labour intensive process.

Someone recently asked about Timex production in Dundee, and I suspect that the assembly line there was somewhat similar.

• Like 1

All dressed up and no where to go. My 1972 Autavia 'Viceroy' and I just glaring out the window remenicing about a time when it didn't involve tons of hand sanitizers. 

Don't wear this one much. It has an original corfam strap and vintage Heuer buckle and freak about scratching it up. Nor would I even if it didn't.  :huh:

20200419_094332.jpg

• Like 3

Today I'm sporting my new to me 1959 Timex 100 Darwin/Beyonet. I'm not sure what to call it because nearly everywhere online calls it a Darwin while @JerseyMo has called it a Beyonet. He is our resident Timex expert, so for now I will only call it awesome! Another 60 year old watch in shockingly good condition. Just needed a bath and some lube and it's running like a champ. I love the styling, simple yet attractive. The simple black strap compliments it perfectly in my eye. I have another one of these on its way to me along with a another variant of the 100.

20200419_121013.thumb.jpg.0813eafaaaf5395f944954be43970b36.jpg

• Like 3

The watch that started me on this strange quest, the Ronda "Rondo-o-matic" based Sicura "Voyageur" got an upgrade of sorts today.

as_bought.thumb.jpg.9eecb36e5bc639070fc9

This is what I unwisely bought in October 2018, and it has been a bit of a favourite of mine ever since.

RIMG0874.thumb.JPG.a233beb21331fca14de7f44cd9548f2e.JPG

It still needs a set of more appropriate hands, but I'm confident that I'll come up with something eventually, meanwhile I fitted a dive bezel and replaced the crystal which I fitted a while back, and subsequently cracked. The watch has been bounced around the world since I first fixed it up, so it also got another quick service.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Today I'm sporting my new to me 1959 Timex 100 Darwin/Beyonet. I'm not sure what to call it because nearly everywhere online calls it a Darwin while @JerseyMo has called it a Beyonet. He is our resident Timex expert, so for now I will only call it awesome! Another 60 year old watch in shockingly good condition. Just needed a bath and some lube and it's running like a champ. I love the styling, simple yet attractive. The simple black strap compliments it perfectly in my eye. I have another one of these on its way to me along with a another variant of the 100.

20200419_121013.thumb.jpg.0813eafaaaf5395f944954be43970b36.jpg

this is a 100 Bayonet and not a Darwin.  The Darwin is similar but does not have '100' on the dial. What I find odd is that the dial and the crown should be silver and not gold.  But, Timex was known to sometimes mix parts. For example you will find many of the early 21 jewel with '400' on the case back.  that's because the first 21 used the '400' case.  Much like these 100's.  same size just a different metal finish.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 3

Nearly all the photos of the Bayonet I've found online had mix matched dials with gold and silver tones on one watch. I like the contrast. Interestingly enough I have a true '59 Darwin on it's way to me as we speak. I will be needing hands and a crystal for it as it looks like it's missing those.

darwin.jpg.df9dc02ebe1739e2063a9906798bd765.jpg

Also in this lot is another  Bayonet with the 2 tone setup.

Bayonet.jpg.e738527b2bfafe962c7cdad578b75fb7.jpg

I wish I had access to a copy of your catalogs @JerseyMo Would be great to narrow down years and models rather than trying to guess.

On another note, even though these were considered "Cheap" they weren't really cheap, I feel it was more of an affordability. They were affordable to everyone . Adjusted for inflation the MSRP of $15 adjusted for inflation comes out to $133.05. Certainly nothing to sneeze at back then. I'd say a Seiko 55 Fathoms is the modern price/value equivalent (my opinion).

seiko-5-black-dial-automatic-men_s-watch-snzh55_1.thumb.jpg.e1753df9bfaecb2ce33720bafc2e077a.jpg

Edited by FLwatchguy73
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Nearly all the photos of the Bayonet I've found online had mix matched dials with gold and silver tones on one watch. I like the contrast. Interestingly enough I have a true '59 Darwin on it's way to me as we speak. I will be needing hands and a crystal for it as it looks like it's missing those.

darwin.jpg.df9dc02ebe1739e2063a9906798bd765.jpg

My Darwin Says hello! - 

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

• Like 2

Fairly recent acquisition and have been wearing this it seems often since it arrived. Waiting on new crystal gaskets so I can change out the crystal. Its seen some use over time but I'm liking the workhorse look and it was my watch today as I was power washing outside. 6309-7049 from 1977.

6309 lores.jpg

• Like 4

Photo bomb this morning.

My cat chuppy decided he would make a good back drop. :D

My 1984 Marathon GG-W-113.  This watch was made to military specification with a hack movement. The most intresting point is that they were assembled by the Gallet Co and stamped so inside the caseback.  They are somewhat rare as they were only made in 84' and 85' and were meant for the military. 

20200421_105117.jpg

Edited by Hopgoblin
Spelling
  • Like 3