Watch of Today

mk3

Wearing my new to me, Bulova 23 Jewel with the "Rebuilt" marked dial.  The movement dates from '59 to '64 while the case and dial came together.  The earliest service date inside the case is 1966. Looks pretty good after polishing the crystal. Keeping excellent time. 

20200127_061642.jpg

• Like 2

Have been giving this one a test drive today after a complete rebuild over the weekend and it's rapidly becoming a favourite.

P1080314.thumb.JPG.7d031e8a655583f23974e94a80903d73.JPG

At just 32mm across the all stainless steel case (not including the original signed crown) it's small by today's standards but it feels perfect.

The movement is Citizen's 21 jewel "Homer" which according to Sweephand's fantastic Citizen site is part of the 02 movement family with it's origins going back to 1960.

The only stampings on the main plate are 00, J, and either M or W, none of which are obvious caliber identifiers. There are no numbers on the case back either that could help with ID or dating, but my gut feeling, given its size and also the Citizen script on the dial, is that this is an early one from the front end of the '60's. If anyone can shed any better light on this then please do.

Either way, it's super comfortable and running very nicely indeed.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Marc said:

Have been giving this one a test drive today after a complete rebuild over the weekend and it's rapidly becoming a favourite.

P1080314.thumb.JPG.7d031e8a655583f23974e94a80903d73.JPG

At just 32mm across the all stainless steel case (not including the original signed crown) it's small by today's standards but it feels perfect.

The movement is Citizen's 21 jewel "Homer" which according to Sweephand's fantastic Citizen site is part of the 02 movement family with it's origins going back to 1960.

The only stampings on the main plate are 00, J, and either M or W, none of which are obvious caliber identifiers. There are no numbers on the case back either that could help with ID or dating, but my gut feeling, given its size and also the Citizen script on the dial, is that this is an early one from the front end of the '60's. If anyone can shed any better light on this then please do.

Either way, it's super comfortable and running very nicely indeed.

I do like that font that Citizen used back then,  shame they didn't keep it.

Here we have a 21 jewel  carlisle deluxe..seiko movement  French all stainless  case..running  nicely. Does anyone  have a clue as to the brand..I wonder if they had anything  to do with Hamilton..Carlisle  Pennsylvania  is not too  far from Lancaster..

20200128_141548.jpg

20200128_141305.jpg

• Like 2

So, today im putting some mileage on my newly acquired 1963, West German manufactured,  Timex backset electric. I purchased it as a parts donor for another watch,  but it was working when I opened the package from the mail and,  well it looks great for a nearly 60 year old watch. So,  here it is.  Jerseymo says the chrome case models are getting rare.  Happy to revive some history. 

20200128_194530.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

What a lovely looking watch ! I will keep an eye out for one!

There are currently about 5 listed on the Bay. Be aware, this is a rather small watch (29mm). It would be considered a modern day woman's sized watch but it is the correct size for an early 1950's men's watch.

Today im wearing my new Gruen that arrived yesterday.  I find it amazing how a few minutes with a good polishing compound can make an old watch look nearly new.  I love the Art Deco vibe of this watch.
20200130_072935.thumb.jpg.fb171f43cb3acc0cfd00b01598890b75.jpg

Very nice. I really like the case!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Today im wearing my new Gruen that arrived yesterday.  I find it amazing how a few minutes with a good polishing compound can make an old watch look nearly new.  I love the Art Deco vibe of this watch.

20200130_072935.jpg

3 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

There are currently about 5 listed on the Bay. Be aware, this is a rather small watch (29mm). It would be considered a modern day woman's sized watch but it is the correct size for an early 1950's men's watch.

Looks very much like a Bulova Ashford!

I have always  appreciated  the style.But for me such  a watch would  be impractical..the lugs would  catch on everything..As for the huge watches so in vogue today.I think them gaudy. There is no reason for  them. Twenty  years  hence we will look  back at them  like we look  back at 70s styles  now..awful  and tasteless. While  that  gruen  will always look  good.. in my opinion  it was about the year  1960  when  mens clothing and accoutrements  reached their zenith..

Something different I put together, bead blasted HMT case, hour and minute hands from Cousins and dial from eBay. Second hand I painted red and re lumed the arrow. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a mechanical movement with the correct stem height so used a Ronda quartz movement. A logo would be nice but for love or money I can’t source one

BB458AC1-8155-4E4B-892A-ED91801945C0.jpeg

54F2ABC6-EA42-44E2-B4CD-BE7350EBD7E2.jpeg

6592C084-80AF-4E2E-80AC-246CCAAC60A0.jpeg

• Like 3

Today I wore a Navajo silver cuff bracelet watch. The turquoise stones originated from the Sleeping Beauty mines in Arizona. I got interested in Native American jewelry (and watch cuffs), when I saw the late Burt Reynolds wearing one in a movie, I think it was Smokey and the Bandit. Some really crazy movies back then :o)

NavajoWatch.JPG

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I do love a blue dial :thumbsu:

RIMG0418.thumb.JPG.d227d4c44724f01fea49f255d714af35.JPG

In that case, blue you shall have.

The lighting doesn't do this one justice. It is a deep navy blue, but LED lights being what they are , it looks much flatter in this picture.

With the flash, it just looks washed out. It looks best in daylight, but given that it is 22:40 here, daylight is in short supply.

The tiny lume pips are a very subtle eggshell blue, un-illumintated, although they look white in this picture.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1