• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• There are two principal ways the plate locks, either with a wedge and screw which pushed the wedge into the post in the plate like Watchweasol's (seems maybe that one just uses the screw but I suspect the screw is a replacement and the wedge has gone missing), or with an eccentric cam. The one Nsteyn needs an eccentric cam. It can be made if you have a lathe, you'll want a 4 jaw chuck to set the piece off center to make the eccentric part (can also shim it in a collet or 3 jaw chuck).   The pic is from a little Star I have, other Stars I have use a screw and wedge, so it's not even manufacturer specific.    
    • I've just moved house, and of the hundreds of items in the workshop it seems the power supply for my Cousins' LED desk lamp has gone missing. This one, discussed here before.  Could anyone with the same lamp tell me what the power supply looks like? Colour, type (wall-wart or in-line?), and specs, in case I have to replace it. Before realizing that I was using a 12V supply that was actually for my watch timer, I was already debugging the thing with my oscilloscope. I wasn't able to find anything wrong using a benchtop PSU at 18V, *except* for the main diode (that feeds the MCU via a 7805) being the wrong way around. My electronics education from 25 years ago is failing me in explaining how this could ever have worked in the first place, lol.
    • As said above, these can be a really tight fit, in some cases they are friction fitted right where they seat, on others they are tight all the way along the shaft. I use levers like in the photo (these are Bergeon, about 10" long) to unseat it, then if it's still tight I use the little puller to coax it off the rest of the way.   Getting it off is one thing, reseating it is another. You will need a hollow punch with a deep enough hole to pass the length of the arbor. In my case I made it, probably you can get by with a piece of brass tubing. The other issue is hand alignment after; on most clocks the hub on the minute hand can be rotated to align it with the strike, but on some there is just a square in the hand itself with no adjustment. Here you need to pay attention to the position of the cam in relation to the square so you aren't striking at 12 minutes past or something. All that said, if it's yours and you are confident it is clean and not worn, just leave it. For a customer I will remove it no matter what.   In my experience wear is more likely at the pivot that carries gathering pallet, the other cam OH mentioned first. These are usually much easier to remove.    
    • As Old Hippy said if its not worn and working ok leave it on,  they are usually a tight fit and you may damage it during removal.