• Recently Browsing

• Topics

• Nice work! I have a similar pair but the Asian ST36/6497 is giving me fits. Keep breaking the set lever screw - the one you have to loosen to remove the stem. Time for movement #3, unless I can find a suitable set lever screw. The genuine 6498 is so good I’m thinking of ditching the Chinese 6497 copy for a real one. Anyway your pics inspired me to keep going! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • Very nice watch you have there! I know you’re proud of it! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • Very nice! I have an old Miyota movement That needs a new home. You’re giving me ideas! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • That’s a great watch! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • Hello everybody. I lived in Texas 51 years before moving “up north” to Oklahoma last year. One of my passions is fixing things - working on the house, appliances, cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers, and anything else that needs fixing and I’ve been good at it except when it comes to watches - what a humbling experience. Googling “broken set lever screw 6497” led me down a trail that led to this forum.   For watches: I like just about everything regardless of cost. I have a 1969 Datejust that my grandfather bought new (my watch addiction started there when I was little), and a 1966 Datejust I recently picked up, an Omega AT, a few Seikos, a Vostok, a couple Citizens, an old Bulova, a few Timexes, and a wristwatch-from-pocketwatch conversion with a genuine 6498 movement. Like many of y’all I’m sure, I’ve bought and sold a ton of watches since 1985 and haven’t slowed down.   The embarrassing screw-breaking watch is a Panerai look-alike with an ST36 Chinese copy of a 6497. It’s cheap but I figured it was good to learn on. Water was getting in, and the set lever screw was stuck so I broke it trying to get the stem out. Broke the two stuck movement mounting tab screws also, probably due to the water. Got a new ST36 and broke the same dang set lever screw trying to replace the stem. Can’t blame the water this time. Had no idea a tiny screwdriver could deliver enough torque to break screws. The price of education... I need to enroll in a course and stop red-necking this stuff.   I have plenty ST36 parts if y’all need any -except screws....   Great to be here,   Bobo         Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro