Jump to content
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'm trying to get my old grandfathers Automatic Seiko up running and I took the movement out of the case today. I figure I will replace the mainspring and I was not able to salvage the o-ring gasket on the stem nor the case back gasket. I don't know if they're supposed to be flat and quite hard. Anyway, the just crumbled apart when I tried to remove them and the case back one had to be removed to get the movement out. My question now is where, or rather how, do I source these parts. I've been searching cousins and they have a lot of parts and I also found an old article in this forum that pointed me to Jules Borel site but it was out of stock there.  Is there some sort of generic gaskets I may use ? What measurements should I use when searching for new ones ? Where may they be found ? It would seem that one of the trickier obstacles with this hobby is sourcing new parts, especially when one can only afford to tinker with OLD movements. On the back it says Seiko 7005-7011 but it sure looks a lot like 7005-7010 I've seen around here. Thanks!
    • Welcome to the forum. 
    • Hi, All my life I've been interested in watches of all kinds. I started watching videos about watch repairing on YouTube and ended up taking Mark's online course. Before I new it I had bought some tweezers and two China versions of the UNITAS 6497 to tinker with. Great Fun ! Hope I'll see you around /P
    • I don't think that microscopic difference matter that much, and not even that they are so pronounced when going from a watch brand to another as someone suggested. While it's a fact that generally speaking Swiss screw slots are narrow than Japanese for a same width, I suppose the parallel drivers makers have calibrated well the blade thickness to be the best average size.  For me the metric isn't just that. A very important aspect is the ability to grip well for the initial turn on long screw that has just put on its place, always tilted. on one side by some amount.  Since I don't think there are available videos about that I will make a comparison one as soon I have the opportunity, and update this thread. 
    • To quote measuretwice from a previous posti g: In the common vernacular, hollow ground is used to describe the resulting parallel No matter how many years one has done something is always good to try to understand what others mean. Searching the Internet alsio helps https://toolguyd.com/lee-valleys-parallel-tip-screwdrivers/
  • Create New...