Watch of Today

mk3

From raggs to riches and a lifelong abuse with torches and WD40 this little one is the latest gem into my eclectic collection.
After a pain stacking slow process making a new groove into the broken set lever screw it finally was removed and this old chap got it long sought after bath in various cleaning liquids.Oiled, greased and with a new mainspring it is powered by an what I think an AS 1171 bumper automatic with 16! jewels . A new sweep second is on the way but I feel the little hero deserves a day in the air before it arrives.

Bumper1.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

• Like 1

From raggs to riches and a lifelong abuse with torches and WD40 this little one is the latest gem into my eclectic collection.
After a pain stacking slow process making a new groove into the broken set lever screw it finally was removed and this old chap got it long sought after bath in various cleaning liquids.Oiled, greased and with a new mainspring it is powered by an what I think an AS 1171 bumper automatic with 16! jewels . A new sweep second is on the way but I feel the little hero deserves a day in the air before it arrives.
Bumper1.thumb.jpg.f4636a43b2bf326eb24ab66643580f4e.jpg
Bumper2.thumb.jpg.c6e36f66a7e14fb73e8f0800d5c68691.jpg
How did it go from rags to riches?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

How did it go from rags to riches?

:D well I believe it's a case of how you look at it, in this case I bought this watch just because it was a bumper  automatic and I never worked on one before, never did I expect someone had lit a bonfire in it and before that drenched it in WD40, I really don't like the smell of it and think it should be banned.
So from being an item clearly not loved, it now days is an appreciated loved little watch in my collection brought back into a new life perhaps still a little scorned with battle scars but fully functional... 

As many Swedes I now take a time off from work to enjoy some X-mas holidays, as a traditional tick I never wear watches when I´m off from work, so here comes a X-mas greeting from some of the watches I have in my daily rotation collection.
(This does not mean I'm not going to be in my watch workshop and possibly bombard you with questions while pulling off the rest of my hair.)

Best X-mas wishes to you all from Sweden....

Daily_Wears_a.jpg

50s Tissot Antimagnetique 'jumbo'/oversize.  I have a soft spot for Tissot's and their Antimagnetique line in particular.  38-40mm is my ideal watch size, so the jumbo variants (38mm) fit the bill perfectly.  I love the contrast of the slightly worn dial and polished case on this one.

TIS2.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSL said:

As many Swedes I now take a time off from work to enjoy some X-mas holidays, as a traditional tick I never wear watches when I´m off from work, so here comes a X-mas greeting from some of the watches I have in my daily rotation collection.
(This does not mean I'm not going to be in my watch workshop and possibly bombard you with questions while pulling off the rest of my hair.)

Daily_Wears_a.jpg

That, sir, is quite some watch storage/display solution!!!!  Very very nice indeed :)

3 hours ago, HSL said:

Daily_Wears_a.jpg

WD-40 comes in handy when the door hinges need lubrication! I've definitely  bought "junker" watches that smelled of 3-in-One oil or WD-40, neither of which should ever be anywhere near a watch movement. That's a nice watch case you have there, does it have climate control and LED lighting?^_^  I counted 53 timepieces...rags to riches indeed! Happy holidays and may you have more wonderful projects to add to your collection in the coming year.

J

I couldn't decide whether to post this in WOTd - or "What watch to take on holiday".

RIMG1069.thumb.JPG.c455cabf9fd7b95aeab078077b4947f3.JPG

The beat up old Sicura Voyager is still on its voyages, and  despite a couple of stalls (the autowinder probably needs a little TLC) it is still keeping good time. Its been bounced about in the back of a jeep, crossed the deserts of Rajastan in pursuit of leopards and tigers, endured the "forty cigarettes a day" levels of winter pollution in Delhi, been subjected to temperatures from +3C to +30C, survived some of the most "interesting" driving  in the world and is here finally enjoying the relaxing shade of a papaya tree.

1816411907_SicuraVoyagerat2018-12-2612-54-05.png.5df582c77bd72cf49241568ba643f408.png

I've added its latest "ECG" just to prove its Ronda 1239-21 heart has survived without any lasting complaints. I wonder how many quartz disposables will be able to make a similar claim in forty plus years time.  Truly a Voyager worthy of the name.

I had it running well on the bench many times but, it would stop intermittently when on the wrist if turned at an angle. The "Q" series is based on the original #40 electro-mechanical movement Timex developed back in the 1960's. As each new series came and went the movement was burden with more features such as the day date.  That is a bear to deal with. There are several detent springs, and coordination of sequence of each wheel alignment.  Also the quality was reduced when production moved to off shore. 

So, this time I just swapped out from a donor from a known working Q and it is ticking away on my wrist.

Edited by JerseyMo
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, that looks almost brand new. I've got a couple of jump hours, but mine are in the still needing a lot of TLC pile. That's the trouble with my self imposed budget, they almost invariably are in need of work.

Speaking of funny...

MaoSmokes.jpg.1c5ea9a07abf11dc019567a34ebc1674.jpg

... a good old mechanical from the land of the smoking chairman, (at least I assume he is smoking) by way of some random corner of ebay. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll be sure to post the wrist shot of him moving is wrist, on my wrist here.

It was 2nd hand, so in to the 404 club it goes, assuming it works, or I can get it working.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, AndyHull said:

... a good old mechanical from the land of the smoking chairman, (at least I assume he is smoking) by way of some random corner of ebay. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll be sure to post the wrist shot of him moving is wrist, on my wrist here.

Tried to find me one of those, must say it possesses a  super charm factor.. lol 

36 minutes ago, HSL said:

Tried to find me one of those, must say it possesses a  super charm factor.. lol 

There seem to be plenty of Mao waving in various poses, but the smoking ones appear to be less common. I say less common, but presumably since these are "tourist tat",  that probably means there are likely to be millions of them in circulation, but few of them on ebay.

There is this, for those on a slightly higher budget.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14k-gold-enamel-Omega-Chronometer-Watch-awarded-by-Chinese-Chairman-Mao-MINT/163393858948?hash=item260b086d84:g:d6AAAOSwdrpb-UK1

Edited by AndyHull

Nice, that looks almost brand new. I've got a couple of jump hours, but mine are in the still needing a lot of TLC pile. That's the trouble with my self imposed budget, they almost invariably are in need of work.

Speaking of funny...

MaoSmokes.jpg.1c5ea9a07abf11dc019567a34ebc1674.jpg

It was 2nd hand, so in to the 404 club it goes, assuming it works, or I can get it working.

Wow that's a keeper. Hopefully it'll keep Mao or less good time when serviced...

• Haha 1

Not nearly as cool as many of the watches posted here, but today I'm wearing an Omega SMPc that is currently on a black with red Hirsch Robby.  I like the way the red stitching matches the small amount of red on the sweep hand, but I'm probably odd.  My most worn daily is a Damasko DA45, which is more unusual. Waiting to get it back from a service.  

smpc.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drysideshooter said:

Not nearly as cool as many of the watches posted here, but today I'm wearing an Omega SMPc that is currently on a black with red Hirsch Robby.  I like the way the red stitching matches the small amount of red on the sweep hand, but I'm probably odd.  My most worn daily is a Damasko DA45, which is more unusual. Waiting to get it back from a service.  

No nearly as cool?!? It epitomizes that word! I think the band is great and that's the place where one's individuality can come through.

J

Thanks noirrac1j.  I have honestly been drooling over some of the uber cool watches some members here have showed pics of.  Some extremely unique pieces, and I know many have been resurrected by their owners, which makes them even more special.  

I'm a big strap guy.  NATO's, various straps, they can change the character of a watch quite a bit.  I like my Seamaster, but it's much less unique than many of the watches pictured in this thread.  

Today it's my Damasko DA45, back fresh from a service.  I have the brilliant Damasko bracelet for this watch, but lately I've been wearing it on a variety of NATO's.  This one is a Blushark Orca NATO.  This is my favorite tool watch.  I'm not a diver, so the bezel rotating both ways is a convenient plus for me.  The proprietary Damasko hardening process has proven itself to me.   This watch has seen a lot of wrist time and the case still looks like new.  It's been covered in fish gunk, in the water more than I can recount, banged around a bit, and shows no signs of use.   I like that it's a rather obscure watch.  I've never seen another one in the wild. 

DA45BSblackOrca.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks AndyHull.  The company has a cool history. The founder makes specially hardened parts for German military aircraft.  He's a watch guy, and applied his patented hardening process to watch cases and bracelets.  Mine has a 2836-2 in it, inside of an iron faraday cage so it won't get magnetized. The bracelet is made from the same hardened steel, and instead of using pins, each link has two individual little torx bolts.  One of my favorite things about the white dial on mine is the lume.  

DA45.jpg