Watch of Today

mk3

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Wow... great watch! I'm really appreciating Seiko's at the moment. Where did you get that strap? That is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing that with us

Hi Jon , I'm assuming you are asking me about the Sting Ray strap on my Grand Seiko ......Most I have seen come from Indonesia or that part of the world at a very decent price . Sting Ray is some tuff stuff and looks , to my eye anyway , very handsome on most watches . 

I had a very conservative black leather watchband on the GS , but I never wore the watch , so I decided to spice things up a little .

This is an interesting watch. It belongs to my Dad and it was gift from King Hussein of Jordan in 1969. My Granddad and uncle - via ham radio in Ilford - were King Hussein's only communications link with the outside world in the 1969 civil war with Palestine. After the war he sent them 2 personalised Longines watches. My Dad inherited this one from my Grandad. He's asked me to service it for him which I'm planning to do this weekend. I also want to look into getting re-plated as the gold has worn away quite a bit. If anyone knows anyone in London who they can recommend please let me know.

IMG_0883.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, margolisd said:

This is an interesting watch. It belongs to my Dad and it was gift from King Hussein of Jordan in 1969. My Granddad and uncle - via ham radio in Ilford - were King Hussein's only communications link with the outside world in the 1969 civil war with Palestine. After the war he sent them 2 personalised Longines watches. My Dad inherited this one from my Grandad. He's asked me to service it for him which I'm planning to do this weekend. I also want to look into getting re-plated as the gold has worn away quite a bit. If anyone knows anyone in London who they can recommend please let me know.

replateit.com 

I have not used this service myself but, have heard only good things about them. 

That is a great story. I love when a watch has a notable provenance. Good look with the overhaul--easy does it and take your time! 

I've used Replateit many times and Peter has does a fantastic job with all of the cases I've sent him....both Gold plating and Nickel/Rhodium.

J

Edited by noirrac1j

On 9/12/2018 at 8:26 PM, ricardopalamino said:

Back to the future today...A West German made electric back set Timex....

My pics don't do it justice .

1023497123_ScreenShot2018-09-12at8_18_44PM.thumb.png.c591975b6500750c61ffdd58e3a609c7.png

767909645_ScreenShot2018-09-12at8_19_24PM.thumb.png.b3432d3ef6451cc6592da80d81beab91.png

175900406_ScreenShot2018-09-12at8_20_14PM.thumb.png.558813f1230ab4c4cad033351c34e6d7.png

I got a new brown leather watchband for this baby....

730242930_ScreenShot2018-09-15at9_11_29PM.thumb.png.97f9a48d14294d9047b14977b98b0fcd.png

For some reason , don't know why  but Timex watches have been on my radar lately . Kinda like visiting an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time.....

653266270_ScreenShot2018-09-15at9_13_57PM.thumb.png.79de53a443776a2fa6359f92ca38a85a.png

I need to start looking at old catalogues but I’m sure my first ever watch was a boys three hander on a black strap in I would guess about 1976. I seem to remember having it in the deep snow and I think that followed the hot summer of ‘76. Would I recognise it if I saw it? Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

Hi JerseyMo ,   Very nice Timex . At first I thought it was a Marlin because of the hands . I really do like those baseball bat looking hands that Timex used for their Marlins and Viscount along with the lume dot above the index's

Yes, Timex did have a nice mix of different hand styles.  The one issue that can be a pain is with the second hand only having a center hole and no tube to help hold it in place.  Often after a repair the seconds hand tends to not fit so well due to the hole having been elongated during removal.  For this I have two fixes, first is to place the hand on flat metal surface and use a flat punch to peen down the area.  If this still does not quite get the end result I dab a dot of clear nail polish to the underside and quickly fit it the movement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

Yes, Timex did have a nice mix of different hand styles.  The one issue that can be a pain is with the second hand only having a center hole and no tube to help hold it in place.  Often after a repair the seconds hand tends to not fit so well due to the hole having been elongated during removal.  For this I have two fixes, first is to place the hand on flat metal surface and use a flat punch to peen down the area.  If this still does not quite get the end result I dab a dot of clear nail polish to the underside and quickly fit it the movement.

You're a brave man working on Timex's...

A 1968 Timex 'Sprite' 24 Hour Black Dial -   It is the first year model with the distinctive white hands which paid homage to Mil-spec of the same era.  I cleaned and lubricated the movement, install a NOS crystal , crown stem, and matched it with signed stainless steel bracelet.

DSC09100.JPG

DSC09101.JPG

• Like 1