Watch of Today

mk3

35 minutes ago, digginstony said:

Hattori Nh35. I suspect Motion Tone are producing these movements for Seiko but couldn't confirm either way

Hattori was a "family name" brand, but isn't used anymore by Seiko-Epson marketing. NH / NE etc are all branded (SII) Seiko Instruments International, and are (mostly) made in Japan in highly automated factories. That is to allow their OEM customers to sport the renowned provenience, while Seiko doesn't need to do the same for their own branded watches.

Hattori was a "family name" brand , but not used anymore by Seiko-Epson marketing. NH / NE etc are all branded (SII) Seiko Instruments International, and are (mostly) made in Japan in highly automated factories. That is to allow their OEM customers to sport the renowned provenience, while Seiko doesn't need to do the same for their own branded watches.
I think the 4r and NH35 parts to be interchangeable. The movements appear identical, though the standard of finish, better on the 4r. Would you know ? Also is there an equivalent to the 6r15

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, digginstony said:

I think the 4r and NH35 parts to be interchangeable. The movements appear identical, though the standard of finish, better on the 4r. Would you know ? Also is there an equivalent to the 6r15

They are identical. The finishing is also the same, but Seiko makes it with a gold plated rotor.
6R15 is NE15 in SII branding, but isn't very popular because it's too expensive for micro brands.

My pic

25205831237_18d2671b10_c.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah? I thought all Seikos were auto winding only.
J
4r, Nh, 6 onwards etc have manual wind and hacking. But it's a matter if you believe in hand winding an auto watch and Seiko enjoys a very efficient autowind system.
If the second reduction gear is not disingauged whilst hand winding, this would probably lead to accelerated wear.

• 2 weeks later...

.Titoni 'Airmaster' today. 

It has 'Bombe' lugs which don't really match the band fitted here. A leather strap would suit it better. The original steel bad has enpieces which fitted better. 

IMG20180306173906.thumb.jpg.75461c734a09c5906d19f60c68145370.jpg

Nicely executed caseback with the Titoni flower prominent.

IMG20180306173919.thumb.jpg.ed38d2ecec67fea472cf442f7770ba51.jpg

Titoni flower on clasp. 

IMG20180306173931.thumb.jpg.d1fd7ad59ce5e70aff55cd5e4cb8ba6f.jpg

And the makers name on the clasp. 

IMG20180306174003.thumb.jpg.45ff40d95cca17e37284329c090b0d46.jpg

Titoni were really big in Asia in the 50s to the 80s.  Inside is an ETA2408 I think, the case back need a a special tool which I don't have.  If I need to I can open it with some other caseback openers but I do it only if I need to get inside as it could get scratched in the process.  Normal quality but it's running pretty well here.  Been wearing it for the last week and hasn't needed the time adjusted. 

Anilv

• Like 2

@anilv

You can easily make your own caseback opener.

I've had great success a few years back.

Sandwich wrap over the back, JBWeld metal repair putty pushed and moulded to cover just the caseback and a nut buried into it for using a spanner on to undo caseback once the JBWeld has set for 24hours.

• Like 3

@anliv

I resorted to this after myself, and my watchmaker, tried everything else.  Superglued the nut on and used nail varnish remover to remove the nut afterwards.  We had tried everything else first

I can't add this to the videos section until I have 30 posts, but if anyone else wants to do that then feel free.

39 minutes ago, ro63rto said:

@anilv

Sandwich wrap over the back, JBWeld metal repair putty pushed and moulded to cover just the caseback and a nut buried into it for using a spanner on to undo caseback once the JBWeld has set for 24hours.

Thanks Ro63rto.. I have jb weld.. Will give it a shot. 

25 minutes ago, Scottswatches said:

@anliv

I resorted to this after myself, and my watchmaker, tried everything else.  Superglued the nut on and used nail varnish remover to remove the nut afterwards.  We had tried everything else first

I can't add this to the videos section until I have 30 posts, but if anyone else wants to do that then feel free.

I've tried superglue (cya)  few times but it didn't work for me. Maybe it's the quality of the stuff we get here in Malaysia. 

Anilv

4 hours ago, Scottswatches said:

@anliv

I've done the same thing numerous times.

J

5 hours ago, ro63rto said:

@anilv

Hi ro63rto , I have a couple of 6 , 8 , etc. sided casebacks to open but don't have the proper wrenches , so when I saw your comment on the JB weld method my ears perked up with curiosity . I know I need to eventually get the right wrenches for this purpose ,...BUT , would elaborate on your method and possibly show one of your creations ?

Thanks , Louis

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, digginstony said:

My Seiko SNK805K2. Just finished service. Still need to polish out some light scratches on the crystal. Favourite travel watch and slightly modded, with sunburst blue dial and hands.45284f9c72b41d0ff9e872bfea2e7219.jpg

Nice watch. I have one Blue-dialed watch, and it's a 1973 Bulova Jet star. Still haven't been able to get my hands on a bead-blasted matte finish watchcase like yours.

J

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, Tipsy said:

This one makes me want to buy 19mm straps! Sadly I have zero, so this Seiko 5 strap will have to do for now.

ETA 2472 (wish it had proper quickset).

IMG_20180401_131100.thumb.jpg.5a07bee094619e3b2f6b3fa856d352de.jpg

Very nice watch! I believe Ginsbo went on to become Pagol which was a popular brand in Asia. Similar for Felca which became Titoni.

Anilv

• Like 1

Wearing a chunky Citizen this Friday the 13th!. It has a 6501 movement inside.  On this example I believe the hour and minute hands have been changed, they should be gold-plated.

IMG20180413081717.thumb.jpg.ba95796ab7535aa561eaae0f19b657ef.jpg

It has a whole bunch of numbers on the back but the serial number is the one starting 409xx which means that this is from Sept '74. Citizen use the 2nd and 3rd digit of the serial number for the month whereas Seiko only uses the 2nd digit with 0, N and D for Oct, Nov, Dec respectively. The case is black anodised aluminium and I usually apply some grease on the threads when I have the caseback off as aluminum and steel can corrode badly.

IMG20180413090422.thumb.jpg.9026824ffaac7696d589c5fa27e6d0ab.jpg

I like these Citizens as they are uniquely 70s in design and much better than their 'Eagle' models. One downside is the anodising wears off on the back but as its not really visible I can deal with that.

Have a good weekend ahead!

Anilv

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anilv said:

Wearing a chunky Citizen this Friday the 13th!. It has a 6501 movement inside.  On this example I believe the hour and minute hands have been changed, they should be gold-plated.

IMG20180413081717.thumb.jpg.ba95796ab7535aa561eaae0f19b657ef.jpg

It has a whole bunch of numbers on the back but the serial number is the one starting 409xx which means that this is from Sept '74. Citizen use the 2nd and 3rd digit of the serial number for the month whereas Seiko only uses the 2nd digit with 0, N and D for Oct, Nov, Dec respectively. The case is black anodised aluminium and I usually apply some grease on the threads when I have the caseback off as aluminum and steel can corrode badly.

IMG20180413090422.thumb.jpg.9026824ffaac7696d589c5fa27e6d0ab.jpg

I like these Citizens as they are uniquely 70s in design and much better than their 'Eagle' models. One downside is the anodising wears off on the back but as its not really visible I can deal with that.

Have a good weekend ahead!

Anilv

Ohh , that's Funky . I like it...

Wearing a Fortis 'True-line' this Sunday. 

It's an automatic with an ETA 2452 inside. Bought it cheap a few years back as it was not running,  a service and it's running fine. It had a generic crown which I swapped out for a used original I had around.

Screenshot_2018-04-15-10-17-24-79.thumb.png.953e36d96d02a7a7d75824ccf16c7771.png

It has shrouded lugs which is a nice design feature and with the date at 1 o'clock it's quite a unique watch. 

Screenshot_2018-04-15-10-17-35-50.thumb.png.a705e152d8ff50afdc19108a29c08fde.png

Foetus is a brand rich in historynd their recent models are quite ice but is sad that they had to declare bankruptcy last year..  Hope they make it through. 

Anilv 

• Like 2