Watch of Today

mk3

By the way if anyone knows where I can find a replacement plastic Crystal with magnified date for this Waltham watch feel free to let me know!

:huh:

Try here;

www.cousinsuk.com/product/domed-high-domed-with-calendar-lens-sternkreuz-cl-clh

It doesn't say explicitly but the illustration on the packet suggests that the cyclops ison the underside of the crystal.

• Like 1

Just finished this late 60's Nivada. The case and dial are in fabulous Condition! Although I was surprised to find out that the dial is a injected molded plastic dial!:wacko:..I replaced the Crystal and installed a calf leather strap... I love this style from this era...:biggrin:

IMG_20170626_193741.jpg

IMG_20170627_082742.jpg

IMG_20170627_083023.jpg

• Like 5

Hi guys,

Wearing a 6619-8060 from Nov '66 today.

Bought the watch off the bay with the usual scratched crystal and expanding bracelet.

All parts were original and what attracted me to this watch was that the dolphin on the back was still quite distinct. On most of these models the dolphin has been worn away with only the (stamped) serial number still visible. Also the dial seemed OK.

Sellers pic..

595609ee7afb7_6619-8060dial.thumb.jpg.edd9c3fbc985c7442a9b99a9b2f676c4.jpg

595609f0ed0f5_6619-8060caseback.thumb.jpg.ef6a49d588a0dce7af45dd6f0fbc8a7d.jpg

I took it apart and gave it a service.. everything was very clean and the watch was in great shape, even the rotor bearing was fine with no 'wobble' on the automatic weight but....it ran way too fast.

I removed the balance and took a look at the hairspring and while the coils were ok in relation to the centre, it was way out of flat with one side hitting the balance cock and the other hitting the guard on the regulator pins. Sometimes this can be caused by the spring collet being loose and just needs to be pressed home but in this case it was the hairspring which was damaged. Luckily I had a spare cal.66 which is the hand-wind cousin of the 6619 and swapped out the balance and balance cock and installed that in this watch and everything is running fine. I will revisit the damaged balance wheel to see if I can correct the hair-spring issues. If this is not possible then I'll probably swap the balance over to the orginal balance cock as the finish is slightly different on the one from the cal.66.

The dial is quite pristine but is let down by the poor chapter ring. This is quite common. Another issue was the dial washer had lost its curve and was pretty flat resulting in the day wheel coming adrift and rubbing on the dial. The result was some wear to the lettering on the edges. In the pic below the 'D' is partly worn, similarly the 'T' in the seller's pic above has lost its right arm. A quick polish of the crystal with 1200grit sand paper followed by Autosol and this is the result.

P_20170629_081417.thumb.jpg.f7429b788f93e8623cff066dfdb99c8f.jpg

P_20170629_081504_HDR.thumb.jpg.40bddd212ef6761f1d54380c0d6b3b22.jpg

It's now running well and has so far last lost 20seconds over the last 24hours. I think the damage to the hairspring was done quite some time back as this would explain the comparatively good condition of the rest of the parts.

The 6619 was basically an auto module thrown on the 66 movement and while the automatic winding is very familiar to anyone who has worked on Seikos, the day and date mechanism are totally different and lack the simplicity of design found in the later designs.

I had intended to post a walk-thru but at some point the phone was not on my desk and I confess I chose to continue rather than go find it. I will take more pictures on the next one I do!

Anilv

• Like 3

Just finished this! An excellent example indeed...an Elgin 17 jewel automatic with a lovely hourglass painted dial. It has an HB 312 German made movement. This movement was a bit tricky to service being my first time working on these. There is a definite order and how to disassemble and reassemble this movement. Very finicky! For example remove one bridge, then remove a wheel, then remove another part, then remove the other wheel, then remove the mainspring then remove another wheel, and on, and on, and on...

IMG_20170629_230055426_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170629_225551.jpg

• Like 3

Halfway thru Friday here in Malaysia and I'm wearing my Sandoz Auto. Its powered by an ETA2836-2 and is still keeping good time despite its last service being around 10years ago. It doesn't get much wrist time though, good oils and being stored in an airtight container helps.

The band is from an Omega.. about one mm smaller than it should be.

P_20170707_120008.thumb.jpg.27a124d90f77a8179d11c6d4ba97d226.jpgclose up of the dial...some spotting but nothing critical.P_20170707_120023.thumb.jpg.2a60b17df1445871cc7020f0d3fc3490.jpg

and here's the Case back...typical Enicar with the shark frolicking under Saturn. It needs a special tool to open but a generic opener can be used but it needs to be tight on the flats (in in this case .. valleys!).P_20170707_120052.thumb.jpg.4a0998a3b082b21f4d811b298b4d4cc4.jpg

Probably be wearing this throughout the weekend unless I decide to go climb Everest or dive the Mariana Trench!

Anilv

Edited by anilv
  • Like 3

I found this very clean dialed Helbros that had a terrible case... I also had this 15 year old stainless steel exhibition back case that measures 36 mm in diameter. It was pretty beat up as well but it did polish out very nicely. I didn't have anything to put in it so I just dropped this movement in there and it fit really well!  It was missing the second hand and I didn't have on in steel but had a gold tone second hand. so I painted it red and it matches the red date I really like it! I think this is going to be my daily work watch!

IMG_20170711_104831.jpg

IMG_20170711_105343.jpg

• Like 3

I found this very clean dialed Helbros that had a terrible case... I also had this 15 year old stainless steel exhibition back case that measures 36 mm in diameter. It was pretty beat up as well but it did polish out very nicely. I didn't have anything to put in it so I just dropped this movement in there and it fit really well!  It was missing the second hand and I didn't have on in steel but had a gold tone second hand. so I painted it red and it matches the red date I really like it! I think this is going to be my daily work watch!

IMG_20170711_104831.jpg

IMG_20170711_105343.jpg

I Like it too DJW . That watchband  is a good choice . A very clean looking combo . I know you will enjoy wearing it to work .

• Like 2

Just finished this Helvetia Cal 831. Nice quality movement with capped escape wheel jewel and unusual adjuster.  Fitted a new mainspring, strap and crystal. It's beating away nicely at 300° amplitude.

I love this style of watch, and like the fact that you can buy such a good quality watch off the bay for so few £££. 

I've recently repaired a couple of  friends watches - both Rotary with horribly cheap and nasty Chinese movements and 4x what I paid for this. 

This is the first watch I've removed the radium from the dials and hands. After reading up on the hazards, I wasn't taking any chances, working with a mask and gloves. 

177517131369.jpg

20170715_114253 (2).jpg

20170715_114339_(2).jpg

• Like 3

img]Just finished this Helvetia Cal 831. I love this style of watch, and like the fact that you can buy such a good quality watch off the bay for so few £££. 
I've recently repaired a couple of  friends watches - both Rotary with horribly cheap and nasty Chinese movements and 4x what I paid for this. 
This is the first watch I've removed the radium from the dials and hands. After reading up on the hazards, I wasn't taking any chances, working with a mask and gloves. 

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/uploads/monthly_2017_07/177517131369.thumb.jpg.9ad1829214240069006748c9d1dd97f8.jpg' alt='177517131369.thumb.jpg.9ad1829214240069006748c9d1dd97f8.jpg'>
5969f705d8b8c_20170715_114253(2).thumb.jpg.ec1ad92b5da00e8f81a1fba61282184c.jpg
20170715_114339_(2).thumb.jpg.6bedf3bc856230e3603b89f4d7ecf9df.jpg

A very nice quality watch. Always a sign of quality when the movement bridges have bevelled edges

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, digginstony said:

A very nice quality watch. Always a sign of quality when the movement bridges have bevelled edges

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Good point about the bevelled edges, I'd never thought of that.

This is my third Helvetia. The quality of the movements has impressed me.  I think they are an under-rated brand.

6 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Good point about the bevelled edges, I'd never thought of that.

This is my third Helvetia. The quality of the movements has impressed me.  I think they are an under-rated brand.

I've a funny feeling that Helvetia was the company that gave rise to Omega. I recall reading somewhere that Omega was originally a model range mad eby Helvetia which eventually became a brand in its own right. If I didn't dream this up then it comes as no surprise that Helvetia in house movements are of good sound quality.

I hope that someone will correct me if I have got that completely wrong.

I've a funny feeling that Helvetia was the company that gave rise to Omega. I recall reading somewhere that Omega was originally a model range mad eby Helvetia which eventually became a brand in its own right. If I didn't dream this up then it comes as no surprise that Helvetia in house movements are of good sound quality.

La Generale Watch Co

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_SA

Sent from my Honor 5c

58 minutes ago, Marc said:

Funny! I thought of Omega for a completely different reason... your Helvetia movement reminds me of the Omega movements of that same era..nice watch!

Very nice work on the Helvetia watch and movement ,....it is a beauty . Also Thanks to to those that contributed the history and information on Helvetia and Omega . A very interesting read and impressive accomplishments by the brands .

Small wonder I like these two watch brands .

I am also a fan of some of Hamilton's achievements ,..especially the aesthetics of their electric watches .

Edited by ricardopalamino