Watch of Today

mk3

I've been working my way through the various chronograph calibres over the past year and picked up this beautiful Favre Leuba off eBay just a short time back.  The movement wasn't named but I figured it was a Valjoux VZH and I haven't had the chance to do a Valjoux service just yet.  Turned out to be a Valjoux 71 which is the older bigger brother of the famed Valjoux 72.  I couldn't be happier- this one is going to clean up nice I think.  :)

IMG_1566.JPG

• Like 8

Well after some 30 years without a service this 1977 Seiko was in desperate need of tlc, luckily the cosmetics of the dial and hands are quite good and the inner bezel has aged like they all do :). Timing is the same as it was the day it was made :)

New favourite in my collection ( long overdue )

DSC09377.jpg

Not quite as nice as that Favre ;)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ricardopalamino said:

Very nice looking watch RyMoeller . Looks like it will be fun to work on . Do you know the production date ? Is that an expansion band ?

Thanks Ricardo.  I don't know production date- I'm guessing early to mid-sixties based on the hands and the size of the watch (it's surprisingly large).  Yes, it is an expanding band- one of the better ones I've seen.

Well after some 30 years without a service this 1977 Seiko was in desperate need of tlc, luckily the cosmetics of the dial and hands are quite good and the inner bezel has aged like they all do [emoji4]. Timing is the same as it was the day it was made [emoji4]

New favourite in my collection ( long overdue )

DSC09377.jpg

Not quite as nice as that Favre [emoji6]

Sorry to say but that looks like it has an aftermarket dial.

34 minutes ago, ro63rto said:

What's the tell? 

I love the Seiko chronograph BTW.  One of the things that I particularly like about Seiko is the ease of locating replacement parts- both functional and cosmetic.  I think when I get to servicing a Seiko I'm going to look for a rightly thrashed Pogue just for this reason.  ^_^

Aloha ro63rto ,

RyMoeller was faster on the trigger then me in asking how you can tell an original dial from an aftermarket one .  I have read articles  and seen forum speak from all the experts , and have seen the same issue discussed about the Seiko Divers . but what is your opinion on this topic ? I know member jdm probably has  input on this also .  I don't want to get into a heated discussion about this ,...I can get that on a couple of other forums .

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/the-seiko-6139-600x-collectors-guide

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-6139-600x-chronograph-collectors-buying-guide-140803.html

http://wristsushi.proboards.com/thread/11128/6139-600x-aftermarket-dials-watches

I have 2 Pogues . The gold 6139 - 6002 resist one I would say is original until it's proven to me that it's not . The blue 6139 - 6005 proof one is ???  Aftermarket assembly ??

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ro63rto said:

Be sorry for nothing :) I knew when buying it was an aftermarket dial and im not overly worried, it looks like the original but more importantly functions as it should. The original Seiko models i want are hardly ever around to buy, especially with original dials in good order, shame really but i don't mind a AM dial if it looks good.

Found my services navigator a brother the right one is the new one. These are quite amazing little pin levers you just clean and oil them and off they go although I did have to adjust the hairspring collet to bring the beat error down on the new one it was way up20161204_190714.jpg.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

The Zodiac is a beauty. Looks like pink gold? Is the movement the one that runs at 36,000 bph?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

The pink is a reflection ,...it's Stainless . My pictures don't do this watch justice . It's one of those watches that feel special on the wrist .

You are correct , ..36,000 BPH . I think the SST series are all Hi-Beat

Edited by ricardopalamino

That Zodiac is something else :) Im not a fan of gold watches but that's really nice :thumbsu:

Today's new arrival from Japan, a little xmass prezzie to my self :)  In my favourite colour and a retro design but with a hacking 4R37 movement ( handwind too ). I want the Black & gold version also but they are harder to find :)

DSC09528.jpg

• Like 4