Watch of Today

mk3

@GeorgeClarkson A while ago I opened a thread "Genuine "Leather" watch straps". I plan to continue as soon as I get to it. I did build already a stitching pony, which I will explain in the thread. I ordered already needles, pricking irons, awls, various colors of waxed stitching thread and other small stuff required. You don't need a lot to get started. The Nato strap turned out reasonable good, being my first object, but I like to improve on the saddle-stitch. I also made a few key-pouches like the ones on the picture and they turned out fine..... for a beginner that is. It's a skill and it takes time to perfect.... like with everything else B)

Retro-Mini-car-font-b-key-b-font-cases-men-PU-leather-vintage-motor-font-b.jpg

If you are interested to learn about leather craft, I can highly recommend you to visit the YouTube channels of these two "top-notch" craftsmen:

Armitage Leather : https://www.youtube.com/c/nigelarmitage/videos

Ian Atkinson: https://www.youtube.com/user/satansbarber/videos

I can only say that it is a very fulfilling hobby :thumbsu:

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 3

And a very nice friend she is too :D Crisp Clear and Colourful

Past few days been wearing this 70's throw back >

DSC07999.jpg

I rarely endevour to repair quartz watches but this was presumed dead and sold off very cheap. Luckily i checked the basics, removed and cleaned contacts, checked battery, fitted new battery, and.....tada. Photos don't really show it but the watch is immaculate :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrBeat said:

And a very nice friend she is too :D Crisp Clear and Colourful

Past few days been wearing this 70's throw back >

DSC07999.jpg

I rarely endevour to repair quartz watches but this was presumed dead and sold off very cheap. Luckily i checked the basics, removed and cleaned contacts, checked battery, fitted new battery, and.....tada. Photos don't really show it but the watch is immaculate :)

Very Nice , I really like this one .

• Like 1

A converted Hamilton for me today.... This is the "Registered Edition" Piping Rock that had a Hamilton Quartz Movement in it until yesterday when I exchanged it for a Hamilton automatic movement . 

The new movement did not come with an hour wheel so after not being able to find the proper hour wheel for this movement , [yet] , I went rummaging through some old movement watch lots I have had for about 4 years . These junk movements were sitting in the back of a drawer , and there were bits and pieces from different watches with names I had never heard of . There were several hour wheels so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to fit them to the Piping Rock movement . 

Would you believe one of them fit the cannon pinion and mated with the minute wheel . I was looking at it and I couldn't believe it . 

The hour wheel was .06 mm too tall , and the O.D. was a skosch larger than the hole in my hour hand . I carefully filed the hour wheel down .06 mm and finished out the rough edge with a sanding stick . Then I very carefully broached out the hole on my hour hand and fitted it . By another stroke of luck the winding stem with the crown from my quartz movement fit the automatic movement to wind it and set the hands , but the stem from the auto movement is a tiny bit too big to slide into the quartz movement ,....I'll use the quartz stem with the crown attached as the length is correct .

The watch has been running for about 8 hours so far with no problem , but I'll wear it for the next couple of days and see if it makes it through the trials .

I've attached some links at the end in case anyone is interested in a little history of the Piping Rock .

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00061.JPG

Screen shot 2016-09-24 at 8.22.16 AM.png

DSC00054.JPG

Screen shot 2016-09-24 at 8.21.15 AM.png

http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2012/09/1928-piping-rock.html

http://www.hamilton-museum.com/museum

http://www.vintage-hamilton-wristwatches.com/2015/03/hamilton-piping-rock-registered-edition.html

• Like 2

11 hours ago, clockboy said:

Found this at ranfft & I have circled the interesting part of info. IE perhaps it was made for either quartz or mechanical. The link I found it from is below. A good result Richard.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&a&2uswk&Hamilton_53 

Hamilton53.png

Aloha Clockboy , If this is in reference to my Hamilton Piping Rock , you've circled the mainspring which of course would not be used in a quartz watch ,  

My new Hamilton automatic movement is stamped # 889 on the bridge and stamped # 138.001 [FHF I think ] , under the escape wheel .

I am searching for the hour wheel . Boley listed it as part FHF # 250 , which I ordered , but it is too small and does not mate with the minute wheel . Jules Borel lists 2 hour wheels for this movement , 250/1592  and  250/1593 ,...the difference being the height of the hour wheel tube .  I am reluctant to order this part as it is also a #250 which had proved to be to small . I will call jules Borel and inquire if their # is also a FHF # .

Mahalo , Louis

Thanks for the help and Info Clockboy .

The parts list shows Hour wheel P/N 250 for the 138.001 which I ordered but does not mate with the minute wheel . The other hour wheel is for the sister movement  138.011 that shows a double toothed hour wheel . On other hour wheels I have seen listed for the 138.011 they were not double toothed but a bit higher tube but still had the P/N 250 assigned to them . 

I wii try to ger more info on the dimensions of the double tooth wheel although I don't know what the top gear would be used for ......On second thought , I think the second gear is for a date wheel on the 138.011 .

Thanks , Louis

Edited by ricardopalamino

I am actually wearing it, but that is not a picture of my arm! Stainless Steel 1970's Bucherer Automatic - ETA 2824. 

28,800 BPH

Quickset date

Second Hack Feature!

1-IMG_1750.JPG

I have a real soft spot for Bucherer. I've got a broken 1980s quartz on my work top I keep meaning to do something with

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk