Watch of Today

mk3

Here goes Ro63rto, back on track! Sorry mate!

cit2.jpg

The seconds hand (@ 6 o'clock) had to be "rebuilt" by recovering the bottom part from the post and riveting it back on the hand proper since there is no original replacement. I used my staking tools for the job. Fairy juice for the dial and Rodico for the hands. New gaskets for pushers and back and new crystal. This is a OS10 movement now working after servicing, all parts are original from the watch...one of Ramon's specials! :) The bracelet is a barely refurbished Citizen brand from Ramon stock too.

• Like 1

Wearing a 50's Helbros to start the week off. Wears a bit small but I'm used to the funny looks and most of my friends know of my addiction! Has a stainless steel case which is good as a lot of watches from this era have base metal cases.

P_20160905_085014.jpg

Has a FHF282 which is running well after a service. This model has very basic shock protection, later versions of this movement usually have Incabloc fitted.

P_20160905_092251.jpgcaseback

Also visible is the nylon caseback gasket.. probably worthless for keeping moisture out but I left it in as I don't see this watch getting wet.

I also managed to rescue the one piece nylon strap it came with. It was stiff with god knows what and it took several soakings and vigorous brushings to clean it up. A dettol soak was done as well to make sure no weird stuff was left behind.

Apart from that, the only thing I did was relume the hands. The red second hand is original (at least thats how I got it!).

Sometimes the simple watches are the best!

Anil

1 hour ago, anilv said:

Wearing a 50's Helbros to start the week off. Wears a bit small but I'm used to the funny looks and most of my friends know of my addiction! Has a stainless steel case which is good as a lot of watches from this era have base metal cases.

P_20160905_085014.jpg

Has a FHF282 which is running well after a service. This model has very basic shock protection, later versions of this movement usually have Incabloc fitted.

P_20160905_092251.jpgcaseback

Also visible is the nylon caseback gasket.. probably worthless for keeping moisture out but I left it in as I don't see this watch getting wet.

I also managed to rescue the one piece nylon strap it came with. It was stiff with god knows what and it took several soakings and vigorous brushings to clean it up. A dettol soak was done as well to make sure no weird stuff was left behind.

Apart from that, the only thing I did was relume the hands. The red second hand is original (at least thats how I got it!).

Sometimes the simple watches are the best!

Anil

Sometimes the simple watches are very nice indeed . Good find with that Stainless case .  I came across this smallish Croton Buccaneer in a watch lot I picked a while back and just stored it until I had time to work on it . 

It had a base metal case in not really good condition , a badly warped crystal , a dial and hands that needed some TLC , and a service ....But for some reason , I liked it .

DSC00063.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

I sourced a crystal and case , serviced it , and choose a well made leather strap for it that seems to fit it well and gives a larger appearance on the wrist . I'm pleased with the results and enjoy wearing it .

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

Hi Ricardo,

Is the the type of Croton which uses 4 small screws to secure the caseback? I still have one somewhere. When I got it there were only two screws present. I managed to find a NOS set of 4 on the 'bay but they cost more than the watch!

Anil

Aloha Anil , Yes it does  have the 4 screws and there are still Croton Buccaneer donor watches available on the bay for reasonable prices .

I lost one screw when I cleaned the parts in my ultra-sonic and had an old pocket watch with the same thread and length . I filed down the screw head diameter so it would fit , but as I mentioned in my earlier post , I sourced a better case and used those screws .

Earlier , one of the members asked if we could keep this thread on track , [rightly so ] , ... so If you have any other questions feel free to PM me , or start a thread in the Help and Advise forum .

Thanks , Louis

• Like 1

Well, not as well groomed as I would have liked it but good enough for now...until I get more time to work on it:

Before pics:

tunaFront.jpg

tunaBack.jpg

After Pic:

TunaAfter.jpg

I don't think it is quite a Tuna Can but it is Cannish enough for me...there are no screws on the shroud so it is simply a sport Seiko...I'll work some more on the cosmetic side....at +1 sec a day it is not bad!

Cheers,

Bob

16 minutes ago, bobm12 said:

Well, not as well groomed as I would have liked it but good enough for now...until I get more time to work on it:

Before pics:

tunaFront.jpg

tunaBack.jpg

After Pic:

TunaAfter.jpg

I don't think it is quite a Tuna Can but it is Cannish enough for me...there are no screws on the shroud so it is simply a sport Seiko...I'll work some more on the cosmetic side....at +1 sec a day it is not bad!

Cheers,

Bob

Nice score Bob , it looks to be a Ramon Special ....{AKA ,  The watch collector }