Watch of Today

mk3

1 hour ago, ro63rto said:

Nice yacht timer emoji106.png

Thanks ,...I just got this one and I have 2 other non-runners . 1 of them just stopped working correctly . Both non-tunners will run , but not set properly , and you can't buy the circuit boards or get them repaired . 

All three look good and the one in the Watch of Today post still has the plastic protecter on the back .

Nice Bimroy... where was this in Singapore?

I used to work in Singapore and there used to be all manner of Russian stuff to be had in 'Change Alley' opposite the Clifford Pier. More cameras than watches from what I remember!

Anil.

Something I'd like to wear but finding links is a bugger, I even called Seiko.:pulling-hair-out: Just wouldn't look right with a strap. Even though 24hour hand is missing, (I got it that way!?!?!?), overall this is in great shape and alarm reminds me of when "the boss" is due home, no matter where in the world I am!:startle:DSCF0303.JPG

Something I'd like to wear but finding links is a bugger, I even called Seiko.:pulling-hair-out: Just wouldn't look right with a strap. Even though 24hour hand is missing, (I got it that way!?!?!?), overall this is in great shape and alarm reminds me of when "the boss" is due home, no matter where in the world I am!:startle:DSCF0303.JPG

Nice [emoji106]

What model is that?

15 hours ago, anilv said:

Nice Bimroy... where was this in Singapore?

I used to work in Singapore and there used to be all manner of Russian stuff to be had in 'Change Alley' opposite the Clifford Pier. More cameras than watches from what I remember!

Anil.

Hi,  I picked it up in the bugis area, there's all sorts of shops and business tucked away there.   I might take a wander to change alley today. 

43 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

I've had this Grand Seiko 5641 - 7000 for about a year , but today is the first time I have worn it .  

I gained a renewed appreciation for it after a couple of hours .

GS #1.png

GS #2.png

It's a GS high beat, what's not to like, I'm so jealous:thumbsu:

Wearing a Luch GP dress watch with the 2209 movement.P_20160830_095012.jpg

The 2209 is a bit unusual the below is an excerpt from a famous german movement reference site.

With an intermediate wheel between central minute pinion and a separate minute wheel the complete train is moved to the periphery. And due to the indirect sweep second, there is also no second wheel in the center. Thus neither balance nor barrel is overlapped by any wheel, and the complete height is avalaible for barrel and balance. The result is a rather low profile without reducing sturdiness or accuracy.

P_20160830_094921.jpg

Looking at the movement picture I just realised that the hairspring seems to be a bit out of round..ie coils not centered. Keeping good time for the last 4 hours though.

One thing about russian watches is that even lower grades have a Breguet overcoil hairspring...but not on this watch however. Despite being targeted to the the higher end of the market, it has a normal (non-overcoil) stud. This is probably because the focus of the designers was to achieve a thin movement and an overcoil would have added more height.

Anil

• Like 1

8v22-7000, I may end up changing to strap, but because it's kind of unique, it deserves a proper band. Thanks for your approval!

A dark brown croc would pair well with that.

If you are feeling adventurous, have a look at green croc too. would go well with the gold.

I have the same issue with my 7t42. It could do with 1or2 extra links but cannot find any.

20160817_143945.jpg

15 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

Screen shot 2016-08-30 at 5.49.02 AM.pngI use these . They were not available in the 16mm size for a long time . 16mm is what I have used on most of my Seiko deployment clasps . I just ordered 4 ea. 

Good idea, thanks!

p.s. I find the green croc might look pretty special too.

One thing about russian watches is that even lower grades have a Breguet overcoil hairspring

That's just because they bought an American factory in consignment conditions that happened to make watches like that. If they were making e.g. pin pallets movement then the entire Russian population would have been kept awake by their lovely noise for some 60 years [emoji4]

• Like 2

George, hats off to you, those movements are a real pain to tackle, but you do it with quite an enthusiasm and your work is first class! Much impressed.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Beautiful watch, to my taste watches with that movement tend to be quite appealing.

13 hours ago, bobm12 said:

George, hats off to you, those movements are a real pain to tackle, but you do it with quite an enthusiasm and your work is first class! Much impressed.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Beautiful watch, to my taste watches with that movement tend to be quite appealing.

Thanks bobm12, I actually enjoy repairing these watches, and the 7T32-7F80 I last posted in particular was kind of a challenge, since it had a broken pin on the plastic baseplate, that prevented the movement to function correctly (among the other issues...). I posted pics on my new blog, if you want to see the status it was in (will not link it since it is also a shop). Since it was a family heirloom of a friend, I had to try and restore it to its formal glory. A picture of how it came to me is attached to this post. He did send a beaten working watch with the same movement, but unfortunately that one also had some issued, so from two watches, I made one. The other will still be repaired, though.

seiko_7T32_Galpin_006.jpg

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Nice strap and very appropriate, Ro63rto! I love the watch.

@GeorgeClarkson George, what paint did you use for the bezel? I'm curious since I have a couple watches that can use some of the same treatment. I was thinking about using Testors acrylic model paint...or even the (to me) more convenient Molotow paint "markers"....Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Bob