Watch of Today

mk3

Feeling nostalgic today, oldie but a goodie, Hampden model 400 circa 1925 or so, in a Dueber gf hinged case, one of my nicest 'old' winder watches. Gotta get this one a leather strap, bracelet is a bit flimsy.DSCF0234.JPGDSCF0235.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WileyDave said:

How about this?

Image result for orient em53

After doing some poking around at the site hosting that picture, I found this page describing the same watch in a different colour scheme: http://www.speedtimerkollektion.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=27400

EDIT#1: I notice that the description on that page says "missing plastic case", which makes me think that there's probably supposed to be an enclosing plastic case, thus explaining the long screws.

EDIT#2: As far as the case goes, it's probably supposed to look something like this: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/best-$50-ive-ever-spent-mechanical-39270.html. If you scroll down on that page, you'll see a picture where you can see one of those screws.

Edited by svorkoetter

5 hours ago, svorkoetter said:

EDIT#1: I notice that the description on that page says "missing plastic case", which makes me think that there's probably supposed to be an enclosing plastic case, thus explaining the long screws.

My apologies for not searching deeper, did look like it was missing cover for case, or something? Good work, I'd like to have one of these! Now I'm embarrassed....but sometimes, that's how we learn.

I agree it did at some point have a plastic casing and probably looked like if not exactly the same as the watch in that link.

I don't know why i liked it but i thought maybe it could be reused so i set about cleaning her up, the overall cost was about £35-40 including a strap so its no bank breaker. The NATO strap is getting on my nerves so i might change it for a rubber one but the timing is actually very good for the type of movement ( which is basically a Seiko ).

Im looking for my next side project so i may finally get around to making a case and starting from scratch, just gotta get motivated :)

9 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Have been wearing this one the last few days. Old photo to save photobucket space emoji16.png

2016-06-25%2019.27.53.png

I've seem this one before. I liked it when you first showed, and still like it now. Its a great looking watch.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Like 1

Nice! What is the movement...17-Jewel Ronda? Bettlach?

JC

Thanks. Was only a tenner as it was sold as non functioning. Wound it up and off it went.

Not sure. I can't seem to open it and since the case is in almost new condition I don't want to risk damaging it.

Can't find any info either [emoji20]

On my wrist today is my "online bits watch" - titanium case from Ickler, dial from eBay, hands from somewhere in the US, Sellita SW200 movement from eBay, Hirsch strap from somewhere in France!

I think it comes together rather nicely, and the movement runs with a dead-flat line on the timegrapher. Had to reduce the diameter of the dial, but otherwise a straightforward assembly job, apart from servicing the movement.

DSCF1826.JPG

DSCF1827.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/15/2016 at 3:40 PM, ro63rto said:

Thanks. Was only a tenner as it was sold as non functioning. Wound it up and off it went.

Not sure. I can't seem to open it and since the case is in almost new condition I don't want to risk damaging it.

Can't find any info either emoji20.png

I had one with a case like that, but not same dial. The movement was a Ronda 17 jewel but I forget the calibre.

JC

3 hours ago, mwilkes said:

On my wrist today is my "online bits watch" - titanium case from Ickler, dial from eBay, hands from somewhere in the US, Sellita SW200 movement from eBay, Hirsch strap from somewhere in France!

I think it comes together rather nicely, and the movement runs with a dead-flat line on the timegrapher. Had to reduce the diameter of the dial, but otherwise a straightforward assembly job, apart from servicing the movement.

DSCF1826.JPG

DSCF1827.JPG

Well I like it! The dial is uncluttered and together with the the plongeur-like hands give the watch a readability that would be hard to match at any price. The dead-flat timegrapher reading makes sense to me--it is a chronometer, right? :thumbsu:

Just arrived in lot with a few junkers and a Hamilton, (thought i'd get away from the seiko's for a while). :)Somebody put some love into this Benrus, shines like new money! Hamilton has some winding issues but a really cool swirl pattern on dial. god I hate it when lugs get eaten by metal bands!:pulling-hair-out:DSCF0244.JPGDSCF0246.JPG

• Like 2

Glad to have got myself one of these midsizes, bring some color into the summer!
Did the 30 mins overhaul buffing out most scratches, movement has poor amplitude but I don't have time for that right now.

P7193125.JPG

• Like 2