Watch of Today

mk3

Finally found a cheap enough donor AS1916 movement to get my 1970's ELGIN up and running. I've had it in under glass on my bench for the best part of a year :startle: But at last she's up and running:D

IMG_0468[1].JPG

• Like 2

I serviced this watch a long time ago, but it needed a new case and then I had trouble with the movement rattling in the case. I just got around to finishing it last week. Now I can wear it! uploadfromtaptalk1466721734335.thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wearing my latest aquisition..

A Seiko 6602-8060 hand-wind.

Pretty good condition considering its 46 years old. Dial is good, ditto the hands. Case back still has the circular graining / machining marks. Strap is aftermarket.

Watch seems to run fine now so no plans to service it any time soon. These 6602 movements are really nice and capable of excellent timekeeping!P_20160625_151703.jpgP_20160625_151718_1.jpg

14669008412081178111964.jpg

Anil

• Like 3

On 26/06/2016 at 9:31 PM, anilv said:

Wearing my latest aquisition..

A Seiko 6602-8060 hand-wind.

Pretty good condition considering its 46 years old. Dial is good, ditto the hands. Case back still has the circular graining / machining marks. Strap is aftermarket.

Watch seems to run fine now so no plans to service it any time soon. These 6602 movements are really nice and capable of excellent timekeeping!P_20160625_151703.jpgP_20160625_151718_1.jpg

14669008412081178111964.jpg

Anil

Very 70s!

• Like 2

latest find, Borel, Ernest Borel, have not gotten back off yet to id movement, hoping it's a 25j eta, of all places found on clist... I know....clist?

running fine and overall good shape, date wheel needs attention, big enough for my old eyes to read.DSCF0221.JPG

• Like 2

Hi guys, staring a long weekend here in Malaysia so took the opportunity to clean the carbs on my bike.

Had a Movado Kingmatic on my wrist and took it off while I was working on the bike. P_20160706_120528.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cad101 said:

Nice Stainless cased Elgin AS1913 for me today.IMG_0480[1].JPG

Absolutely stunning!  I lean towards these designs quite often, beautiful!!!  (I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for one)

Today, this is what I have on (past two days too, lol)...60's Helbros that had to be re-cased.  The original was corroded and lost half the chrome plus it had a Square UFO, which was kind of odd for such a nice dial.  This worked better IMO, very pleased with it!

IMG_20160704_123224007_HDR.jpg

Edited by jeffc83
  • Like 3

That's a nice looking watch I have a couple of Helbros watches and like them both. I find that 60's early 70's watches are still relatively cheap and look good. like yourself I'm drawn more towards this style although of late I have been snapping up old scrap Vostoks just for something different to repair. I might even mod a few and get them on the bay see if I can make any money back I cant keep buying and not selling a few I'm up to my neck in watches and you never know I might make enough for an nice old omega or something.

I love all those 60s Swiss watches with the cryptic brands.  I still have my dad's "Grimsel" 21 jewel watch with the perspex dial and thin movement.  Works just fine.  The only major change in the last few years that I have really liked is the move to Hardlex-style crystals which are less prone to scratching.  Having said that, the perspex ones are easily treated for scratches with a bit of judicious polishing with a good white toothpaste, a slurry of baking soda or plastic polish.

Helvetia for me today.

A recent eBay acquisition that I am rather pleased with.

2016-06-22 13.21.15.jpg

Picked it up for not very much, rattling, grubby, with a trashed crystal and "in need of attention".

34mm all stainless steel case housing a 25J Helvetia 861 (a modified ETA 2522R with escapement, barrel and ball bearing rotor by Helvetia according to Ranfft). The rotor retaining screw had come undone so the rotor was loose (hence the rattle), but a full service, fresh lube, and a new crystal, and it's back in business. Currently +/-2 sec per day.

• Like 3

Love it what a nice looking watch. I Love Helvetia's as you've probably guessed by the amount I've worn in watch of the day. That's a nice 70's example I think I forgot to bid on that one did it finish about 10 one Saturday morning. The 861 is a nice movement and  very reliable  you won't have any problems with it.

With so many lovely watches on here i thought id share one of my recent purchases. As some of you may have seen in a previous post about my Seiko Sea Urchin, well when my father visited he took a liking to it.......so much so he now wears it ( much to my disgust ha ha ). Anyway i was looking around for a simple but nice Seiko in reasonable condition when i spotted this little gem for very good price >

Seiko 7625 Automatic

DSC04965.JPG

Needless to say she needed some loving care and so i set about giving her a new lease of life :)  

DSC05098.JPGDSC05091.JPG

Serviced, casing refinished, new glass, and a nice Shark grain deployment strap, she's ready for her new life. Now i just gotta keep it hidden when my father turns up again :) 

I really do love simple Seiko's :D

MrBeat

• Like 3

The simplicity of the watch and those hands really got to me so i just had to clean her up, its not quick set date but timing is spot on, in-fact better than the Urchin. Im building up a collection of Seikos i like ( and other brands ) and this is just the starting piece, i have a Junghans Chronometer near completion which i will share here when done :)

Svork - The process for the watch case was as follows in order.

Light 3m Abrasive papers to remove surface damage in lighter areas > Buffing with Cannings SteelBrite using 4" felt flat & knife edge wheel > Buffing with Cannings polishing compound> Hand Buffing in tight areas >Ultrasonic Final Clean > Polishing Cotton Mop with Dialux Green > Polish Clean cotton mop

I use assorted 3m papers, pegwood, pith, Foredom bench polisher with assorted attachments/wheels, and also a hand rotary tools for hard to reach places. Compounds i use , Cannings Steel brite for deep cuts, cannings polishing compound & dialux grey for good finish prior to final, dialux red green or white for final polish. I use Bergeon diamantine for fine work like hands.

Most important of all is to clean casing before and after each step so as not to transfer the different compounds :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Love it what a nice looking watch. I Love Helvetia's as you've probably guessed by the amount I've worn in watch of the day. That's a nice 70's example I think I forgot to bid on that one did it finish about 10 one Saturday morning. The 861 is a nice movement and  very reliable  you won't have any problems with it.

10 to 3 on a Saturday afternoon. 

Looks like your memory lapse was my good fortune. 

I'm certainly well pleased with it. 

Case refurbishing is a lot of fun. Here's a new turtle that had ugly dents from the previous owner removing bezel and replacing crystal.

28052782022_8183f680dc_c.jpg

I use pretty much the same materials and technique as Cad101, but do not have a real bench motor. 

• Like 3