Watch of Today

mk3

I'm wearing my latest purchase today. A Tissot Seastar 2481. A quick repair to the setting last night and it's running nicely. It still needs new glass, signed crown and a clean of the case but it's coming to the German beer festival with me today :thumbsu:image.jpeg

Been looking for a bit of a worn and used watch for a while, one that has a bit of character and something I don't have to think about it too much when wearing it, for just going on treks and long walks.

And here it is, my trekking watch. Going to be wearing this thing quite a bit.

weems.png

Edited by BeyondWorld

@12toneman I like the bezel on your Komandirskie (or is it a Komandirskie Amphibian?). Modern ones are all with round dots, yours has 3 arrows, even in two colors..... now I know where to look for next ;) 

Did you modify the seconds-hand? What movement has it, a 2414a ?

All great stuff !!

7 hours ago, Endeavor said:

@12toneman I like the bezel on your Komandirskie (or is it a Komandirskie Amphibian?). Modern ones are all with round dots, yours has 3 arrows, even in two colors..... now I know where to look for next ;) 

Did you modify the seconds-hand? What movement has it, a 2414a ?

All great stuff !!

Thanks! Yup- It's a Komandirskie with a 2414a. The case is a 341. I stripped the case, bezel, and crown with muriatic acid down to the brass. 

Vostok information on the net is so sketchy....who knows where it comes from. But from what I gather the bezel is one of the first designs from the early 80s. And the lumed second hand is legit too, from early Komandirskie models. Here's a pic of some others (not mine). They have the Komandirskie hands but the lumed second hand, which you usually see in red on the Amphibians :

Kommanderskie.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2016 at 6:48 AM, JoeJBP said:

I'm wearing my latest purchase today. A Tissot Seastar 2481. A quick repair to the setting last night and it's running nicely. It still needs new glass, signed crown and a clean of the case but it's coming to the German beer festival with me today :thumbsu:image.jpeg

you've got a beauty!! i'm looking for a blue dial seastar. i'll score one one of these days.

7 minutes ago, ramrod said:

It's a bad wrist shot, but I am wearing this Seiko DX. It originally came in a hideous gold case, so recased it in an NOS SS case. Linen dials are the coolest.

IMG_20160530_131309778_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160530_131102793.jpg

Nice. Seikos don't need winding, so they lend themselves to wearing on right wrist.

JC

15 minutes ago, ramrod said:

you've got a beauty!! i'm looking for a blue dial seastar. i'll score one one of these days.

Thanks. Got lucky with this one. It came up as a "buy it now" on eBay for spares or repair for a really good price so I snapped it up. I love it :D

45 minutes ago, ramrod said:

you're right, CJ. i'm a lefty, too. the right wrist just feels....well.....right.

Yeah I figured you're a lefty! There are some watches that have the crowns on the left just for lefties. I know Invicta made some.

JCCJ

@12toneman Interesting to learn about the bezel, the case and the "Amphibian" seconds hand. I also noticed that the nickel of my new Komandirskie case is easily scratched (just by taking the bezel off) and I wanted to re-plate it. I wasn't sure whether I should take the old nickel layer off first, but now seeing your result, I just may just do that to see how it looks. With a bit of luck, and when I receive the kindly donated watch-cases of forum member Ramrod, there is going to be another walkthrough thread in electrolytic-plating. Still many things have to be learned and perhaps you could share you muriatic acid (HCl) nickel-stripping know-how? Perhaps you could be so kind to leave already an comment of how to strip the nickel in the walkthrough thread "Design watch / plating project" and we transfer the know-how later to the new thread ?

Nice to find another Russian watch wearer / enthusiast :)

Edited by Endeavor

18 hours ago, 12toneman said:

Thanks! Yup- It's a Komandirskie with a 2414a. The case is a 341. I stripped the case, bezel, and crown with muriatic acid down to the brass. 

Vostok information on the net is so sketchy....who knows where it comes from. But from what I gather the bezel is one of the first designs from the early 80s. And the lumed second hand is legit too, from early Komandirskie models. Here's a pic of some others (not mine). They have the Komandirskie hands but the lumed second hand, which you usually see in red on the Amphibians :

I like these Vostoks so much, they look awsome but cant get compromised with the 18mm lug distance. I know that the new ones have steel case but base metal bezel. Are there any with full steel construcion? 

6 hours ago, szbalogh said:

I like these Vostoks so much, they look awsome but cant get compromised with the 18mm lug distance. I know that the new ones have steel case but base metal bezel. Are there any with full steel construcion? 

There are some models with 22mm lugs I believe. As far as bezels go, there's quite a variety of stainless steel aftermarket bezels available. Just search for "Vostok Bezel" on eBay.

25 minutes ago, svorkoetter said:

There are some models with 22mm lugs I believe. As far as bezels go, there's quite a variety of stainless steel aftermarket bezels available. Just search for "Vostok Bezel" on eBay.

Thank You! In this case i have put it on the list :)

The Vostok cases # 710, #100 and #110 have 22mm lugs, perhaps there are more.......just google ;) With my limited knowledge about Vostok, but I think all the Amphibians case are full Stainless Steel. The Komandirskie's are cheaper cases and are made of a kind of copper-alloy.......but I could be wrong there.....as 12toneman says, it's all a bit sketchy :)

• Like 1

The Komandirskie's are cheaper cases and are made of a kind of copper-alloy..

I thought they were brass, but that's the story.

Meranom.com, one of the go-to sellers on the net, he carries Vostok SS bezels. For ex http://ru.meranom.com/amphibian-classic/spare-parts/vostok-watch-bezel-090-stainless-steel.html (my apologies to the moderator if I shouldn't include links, etc).

Speaking of Vostoks, today's watch:

20160531_143812.jpg

• Like 1

@12toneman As far as I know, brass is a copper alloy. Brass is copper + zinc. But since I'm not sure where the cases are made off, for me the safest is to call it an alloy........covers it all :)

I like the #420 case you are showing a lot. I'm awaiting parts to make a diver dude in a #420 case, a SS bezel and I hope to find an old-style looking bezel insert. Together with the 18mm lugs this should give a retro look divers watch......I hope....... ;)

It also seems that you know your way with chemicals, something desperately needed for my next plating project(s). Hope you will chip in and contribute !?

Today its my recently purchased of our friend thewatchcollector cleaned up and serviced URIKA 17 jewel hamazawa 5026A movement. Came as lot of 4 cruddy watches I only got them because I needed a stem for another watch but I'm glad I did because they are quiet nice.IMG_0399[1].JPG