Watch of Today

mk3

Wearing my favorite Seiko 5, the SNKE63K1. Several weeks ago I opened it up to regulate it, messed it up a bit and then set it aside. Last week I put it back on the timer and got it nearly spot on - it's averaging about +2 seconds a day for the last week! I also ran the case and bracelet through the ultrasonic.

SNKE63K1.jpg

• Like 2

"Chronometre" arrived. It has a Glasshütte-style NACHTIGALL movement (see that little bird in the middle of the forst picture). Balance broken. It has a swiss lever escapement but no pallets :blink: Swan neck spring missing. The case had gold plating, now it will get nickel layer.

20160523_134702[1].jpeg

20160523_135015[1].jpeg

Edited by szbalogh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, szbalogh said:

"Chronometre" arrived. It has a Glasshütte-style NACHTIGALL movement (see that little bird in the middle of the forst picture). Balance broken. It has a swiss lever escapement but no pallets :blink: Swan neck spring missing. The case had gold plating, now it will get nickel layer.

20160523_134702[1].jpeg

20160523_135015[1].jpeg

Where are you going to find those crucial parts? It would seem to me to be difficult...or no?

J

• Like 1

16 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

Where are you going to find those crucial parts? It would seem to me to be difficult...or no?

Well, thats a mystery :)

Moreover, once disassembled it turned out that one pinion on the 3rd wheel is broken, the center wheel has some ~ 6-7 teeth broken and the wheel itself bent from the plane. Not to mention some minor issues like glued on dial and one broken screw of the 3/4 plate.

My first post !

I liked the look of this (50s?) watch I spotted on ebay. Just finished cleaning it - runs nicely.

The movement is a Venus 180. A new make for me, but nice quality. 

The watch is an 'Audax' - can't find anything about them, anyone ?

20160524_180520.jpg

20160524_180503.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, szbalogh said:

Well, thats a mystery :)

Moreover, once disassembled it turned out that one pinion on the 3rd wheel is broken, the center wheel has some ~ 6-7 teeth broken and the wheel itself bent from the plane. Not to mention some minor issues like glued on dial and one broken screw of the 3/4 plate.

Aww man. That's too bad about the broken parts...its a shame, but don't lose hope. There may be one out there that you can harvest for parts and make one functional  watch. 

In keeping with my philosophy that all watches need to be worn and given a little love I present my 50p charity shop TIMEX. Note the bent panel pins to affix the strap I've left them I think they add character and are part of the watches life.IMG_0370[1].JPG

Edited by Cad101
  • Like 3

@Cad101 Thanks ;) Looking at your Timex, what kind of spring-bars are those? I may recognize the shape, but I'm not sure :D

Oops; I re-read your post.......yes, they add to the character......nice detail and belongs to the history of the watch ! :thumbsu:

Edited by Endeavor

6 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

Wow. Really nice. Sounds like you're an Omega man.

JC

I'm starting to lean that way, but I have a couple of other pieces I wear more often. I have an Elgin I previously posted that's my everyday watch 80% of the time.

Came in with a job lot off the bay but too nice to sell on 17 jewel 100th anniversary Flora runs very well after a service for a 68 year old watch it just needed a new mainspring. I haven't been able to find anything about the make so if anyone has any info pass it on I usually like to find out something about watches I have in my collection.IMG_0384[1].JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WileyDave said:

Drug out the old 27j Bell-Matic,  have not had a chance to peek inside, day wheel is skewed, on the upside alarm works and is keeping decent time.DSCF0177.JPG

This is funny. Although I'm not wearing a bellmatic today, my date is skewed as well on this cheap  pin lever diver watch. Amazing, lol.

14642670423161790528977.jpg

• Like 2

Well said, thanks:)  I was devastated when I went to service it.  The original owner decided to pull the hairspring and balance "partially out" and wrapped it around the click spring. (was a mess)  I had a replacement movement so I swapped out the calendar works and voila, el' cheapo watch that I enjoy!  (heavy too)  Only downfall is my date wheel, which I'll repair along with the second hand. (was missing, will find a good one for it)

Love that bellmatic!  I'd imagine that alarm is noticeable;)

Edited by jeffc83

6 hours ago, WileyDave said:

Drug out the old 27j Bell-Matic,  have not had a chance to peek inside, day wheel is skewed, on the upside alarm works and is keeping decent time.DSCF0177.JPG

I love those Belmatics,  I've resurrected three of them now.  There's a guy in the UK,  Stefan who sells some parts for them and stuff pops up on eBay too. I've got another on the go now.

The height of mechanical genius (and sheer coolness too)  just before the electronic age assured their extinction. 

This is my outdoors watch.  I'm off on a hunting trip today in NZ. This  thing,  yeah I know it's got a battery,  has an altimeter and compass and has a rugged yet light titanium case. It's getting pretty scratched now. 

Between me,  it  and a topo map,  I can successfully pinpoint my position.  In the event of a GPS failure of course!

1464290266263834196254.jpg

• Like 1