Watch of Today

mk3

I love the Dynasty jump hour watch too, it is in quite nice condition considering the age and keeps good time still. These sometimes pop up on ebay as spares or repairs but are often pretty badly beaten up though.

I would be interested to see your project when completed or as progress is made. :)

That's a nice Timex, I nearly wore a Timex today as a matter of fact but plumped for the Omega instead mostly because I have worn that Timex more recently than the Omega. I will probably wear it tomorrow. I seem to have accumulated quite a few Timex models from the 60's, 70's and the 80's. I like Timex watches, the first watch I ever owned as a child was a kids Timex.

I have a few Timex watches that work but I need to find crowns and stems for them because they are missing, but once I can locate some I will be able to wear the things. :)

Another Slava today, but this one has some sentimental value. I bought it new in 1985 while my wife and I were in Poland for two weeks on a choir tour. I picked it up at a jewelers in Poznan for the equivalent of about $16 US. It's always run very nicely, and is pretty accurate. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the hands are a dark gunmetal blue, and the second hand is red.

Gryf

20151009_082133_zpss4zdvtwy.jpg

Edited by Gryf

I can see that the second hand is red but would have assumed the others were black but on closer inspection I can just make out that they are blued. Nice watch, blued hands always look nice on white dials.

Right, the colors on the hands are rather subtle, and only show when the light hits them just right. I just took a pic of the movement of that watch, and am waiting for it to email from my phone. For some reason that takes a Very Long Time.  :-\

Gryf

Sometimes email providers can be slow when exchanging mail or literally in the case of Yahoo, they defer it the first time to make sure it is a real SMTP server that they are accepting mail from rather than an infected computer from a botnet. I just use my own email setup instead because it is faster for me. You could maybe use dropbox or one of the other image hosting sites where yor phone uploads new pictures after you take them and you can either grab them from there or share and link to them. I use dropbox for my phone but there are also other providers that offer a similar free service.

@Gryf - I got curious about your double barrel question and took a look on google for more info, it seems like a few Slava models have these double barrels. Do a search of google images for "slava double barrels" and quite a few will come up including disassembly instructions.

@Geo - I like your Alpina President. :)  1950's?

Today I went with a nice looking gold tone Timex, I will have to post a picture of that a little bit later as I am not at my desktop computer currently. I have a Bradley Time - Walt Disney Productions Mickey Mouse watch in pieces at the moment, if I have that back together before tomorrow, it may be my watch of the day. I like Mickey Mouse watches and have a few of them mostly because they are just fun to wear. I also like advertising watches and found a Seiko yesterday with a Pepsi logo as well as a Coca Cola digital watch while sorting through some stuff. I couldn't find a picture on google of any remotely like it so maybe they aren't that common. Does anyone else like advertising watches?

@Geo - It is always a shame when a pretty movement is hidden isn't it.

I have an early 1940's  Elgin A-11 military watch opened up on my desk with a gold toned 539 movement in it, the movement was actually more aesthetically pleasing than I imagined, I hadn't seen pictures of the movement beforehand so was expecting a very generic movement like a Timex, surprisingly it was better than anticipated. The band may even be original but not sure, someone has at some stage replaced the original springbars with sewing pins and bent them over. It looks exactly like THIS picture I found whilst searching for some more information about them. From what I have read so far, it seems that the gold toned movement and that case are the scarcer variant of this watch but would love to get a second opinion on that.

Anyway, as promised, here is the Timex.

post-1462-0-31773500-1444471952_thumb.jp

• Like 1

@mk3 -

You mentioned your Bradley Time Mickey Mouse watch... I received my first watch when I was in elementary school; I was fascinated by watches even then, and I remember that it was a Bradley. That would have been in the mid-1960s. Wish I still had it.

Gryf

The Bradley is attached below although it still needs some cosmetic work but it is now happily ticking away and thus far seems to be keeping good time. Maybe you can find the same model Bradley you had for sale somewhere and refurbish it as a project?

My first ever watch as a boy was a Timex which is probably why I have a bit of a soft spot for them even now.

post-1462-0-18606800-1444476216_thumb.jp

Edited by mk3
  • Like 2

I have another 6000 almost identical with grey dial only a slightly earlier model, the outer part of the dial on the earlier model is not as shiny as the WH112-K1, the wife took a liking to it and wears it so I wont ever see that again. The one in the picture has a deployment strap and the one my wife borrowed from me has a regular Tag buckle strap. I do also have yet another 6000 series with a white dial on a stainless steel Tag bracelet, pic attached.

Yours has a really nice dial, I should pick up one of those at some stage, I also want to add an automatic as well at some later stage.

post-1462-0-66708600-1444557367_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I found a picture of the older one which is just a WH112 I believe. I recently fitted a new battery to it, waterproofed, cleaned and repolished it. I have another couple of Tags but offhand I cannot remember which models they are and they don't see much wear.

post-1462-0-13202500-1444560130_thumb.jp

• Like 1

My push was when I sent a Rolex Date with a 3135 movement in to be serviced and it came back with fingerprints on the hands, dial, inside the crystal, the watch wasn't waterproofed properly, the stem would come out, the watch stopped intermittently while on the watch winder before I got it wet whilst swimming or in the hot tub and when I had to open it immediately to dry it I found that the back was only finger tight and noticed black marks on the rotor and figured that the badly splayed gasket that was fitted had been catching on the rotor like a brake, I was right about that. In essence, the watch had no issues before being sent for a service except for a barely noticeable chip in the crystal which they were asked to replace and didn't. I expected my watch to come back looking like new, instead I was horrified that it came back in that state. They also made a total mess of the case polishing, needless to say that I was not pleased and I got my money back and personally took it into the authorized Rolex dealership to be serviced properly.

The idiots who messed it up were a largish jewelry chain in our area that are based in Boston, MA. Unfortunately my wife took this in for a service for me as I was busy, I had asked her to take it to the authorized Rolex dealership in town, she thought I meant a jewelry shop in the mall that sell used Rolex watches and look like a Rolex dealer because they have more Rolex ad signs than the real dealer. When I called to complain they insisted their watchmakers were ALL Rolex trained, to which I asked "trained on what, those $5 fakes from China?" What I do know for sure is that at least one of them had no clue what they were doing. Lesson learned.

When it came back from the Rolex authorized dealer it was great, just like night and day, just a shame it never got there in the first place. I really love the Date model, in fact maybe I will grab one off the watch winder and wear it tomorrow.

I was going to wear a Date but at the last minute I changed my mind and grabbed this Datejust with computer dial from the watch winder instead mostly because I haven't worn it in a while and it was closer to hand, this one has the solid instead of the hollow center links and the Rolex logo laser etched on the crystal in the 6 o`clock position. The bracelet also has a concealed clasp. I believe I bought this watch new sometime in either 2005 or 2006.

I love the weight of this watch, the weight of it always feels reassuring that you are actually wearing a watch. 

post-1462-0-43807700-1444629359_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-40007900-1444629372_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-02921000-1444629381_thumb.jp

• Like 1