Watch of Today

mk3

RIMG0673.thumb.JPG.809e33ed81ce3e01038187a4e254ceb8.JPG

Today I'm wearing my 404 club 9ct solid gold Rotary Quartz.

RIMG0663.thumb.JPG.a29ab82049391dea42bc6fbfb60d3e16.JPG

It too is sporting a natty new Moralleto band, and I have to say these straps are extremely comfortable.

Its a bit of a favourite of mine. In fact I'd worn this watch so often over the last couple of years that the old strap was starting to fall apart. 

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks marc. Sorry not a field a flieger. A Luftwaffe pilot's watch. Is it an original or a reproduction. Do you mind letting us have a look at the back please toptime. 

To be correct the flieger  B was a bomb Aimers watch, the A was the pilots watch

Tom

Edited by tomh207
  • Thanks 1

Hi peeps. Record high temperatures expected here today in Uk 104 '  F . So I'm twagging work although still registering on covid richter scale besides. My WoTD. Not enough Seiko divers on here. So heres my Seiko Padi chrono solar. A little large for my meager 7 1/4 wrists at 44mm but i just about pull it off. 

20220719_115621.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi peeps. Record high temperatures expected here today in Uk 104 '  F . So I'm twagging work although still registering on covid richter scale besides. My WoTD. Not enough Seiko divers on here. So heres my Seiko Padi chrono solar. A little large for my meager 7 1/4 wrists at 44mm but i just about pull it off. 

20220719_115621.jpg

Hey Rich, I hear that you're getting record high temps there in the UK. It must be a shock to your system seeing as you don't know what the sun usually looks like 😄

I can't wear a watch for the next few weeks as I was naughty over the weekend, but I usually sport a diver on my wrist most days. In fact, I'll post one from last week seeing as you signaling a trend here. It looks big but isn't IRL, it wears just perfect on my 7 3/4 wrist

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.c64d2daf795fc6d9bcecf9f40d4e7648.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Hey Rich, I hear that you're getting record high temps there in the UK. It must be a shock to your system seeing as you don't know what the sun usually looks like 😄

I can't wear a watch for the next few weeks as I was naughty over the weekend, but I usually sport a diver on my wrist most days. In fact, I'll post one from last week seeing as you signaling a trend here. It looks big but isn't IRL, it wears just perfect on my 7 3/4 wrist

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.c64d2daf795fc6d9bcecf9f40d4e7648.jpg

Nice looking watch Gert 👍. Generally if your wrist is wider than the lug to lug regardless of wrist circumference then you are ok. Is this one of your own making ? I think i will have to move away from swiss vintage and have a play with some Seikos, there are some gorgeous dials like the one in your video restoration. Btw I've kicked Covid's arse. 🙂

16582396893818681535541504597487.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Nice looking watch Gert 👍. Generally if your wrist is wider than the lug to lug regardless of wrist circumference then you are ok. Is this one of your own making ? I think i will have to move away from swiss vintage and have a play with some Seikos, there are some gorgeous dials like the one in your video restoration. Btw I've kicked Covid's arse. 🙂

Awesome! Now you can go have a pint to celebrate - on me!

Thank you sir! That one I bought a few weeks back actually. I just love the Seiko Save The Ocean dials and I couldn't resist getting that one. It's also my first Samurai so was keen to try something different than what I normally wear.

This one I did myself. As in everything is aftermarket, including the case. As you'll notice I have a thing for interesting dials.

IMG_8944.thumb.JPEG.da9c5c5fd1b2b1a1f5c8d0c083cdb374.JPEG

Once you start messing with the Seikos you'll see how addicting it can be. There's a massive modding community so your imagination is pretty much the limit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Glad to hear it. Give its arse an extra kick from me.

Do the injections work 🤷‍♂️. I had one day with a headache and sore joints, two days of congestion and no loss at all of taste or smell, i didn't stay in bed and i carried on eating 🤔.  The thing is i haven't had any injections. I wonder what is actually going on 🤔

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Do the injections work 🤷‍♂️. I had one day with a headache and sore joints, two days of congestion and no loss at all of taste or smell, i didn't stay in bed and i carried on eating 🤔.  The thing is i haven't had any injections. I wonder what is actually going on 🤔

Its a bit of a lottery. The chances of dying if unprotected is around 0.5% to 5% depending on which statistical model you look at. The latest variants are probably less likely to prove fatal, so possibly 0.05% to 1% fatal.

I am unsure if that figure is corrected for re-infections (which are obviously infections of those who already have natural immunity, but no inoculations).

It could be that the figure is for infections in general, in which case having no inoculations may still put you in the 0.5% to 5% fatality bracket, but the population as a whole it less likely to die, due to a higher level of natural and inoculation induced immunity.

What this means in reality of course is that around 95.0% to 99.95% of un-inouclated people won't actually die. If you have a good immune system and good luck, you get a mild infection and don't die.

Whereas better than 99.99% of inoculated people don't die. Them's better odds by anybodies standards. I'll take the inoculation thank you very much.

However, even given the improved odds you are not 100% protected by inoculation. Just much better protected. Much less likely to die or have a poor outcome.

It is still however a crap-shoot.

If, like my wife, you have a good immune system, full inoculation and bad luck, you end up with covid induced myocarditis and a pacemaker. Possibly if unprotected things might not have even been that positive. It doesn't bear thinking about. I know of several people, two of them doctors, who didn't survive.

I picked up covid the same time as her, had the same inoculations as her, and had a couple of days of sneezing and feeling rough, then I was fine.

That's what I mean by a crap-shoot.

It could just as easily have been me with the myocarditis, or both of us with mild symptoms.

The inoculations  give you a better hand in that crap-shoot. They measurably decrease your likely hood of dying or getting sick. They don't provide 100% protection.

100% protection would be nice, but no inoculation is ever that effective, due to genetic variations in the infective agent, and genetic variations in immune systems within the human population.

The inoculations probably saved tens of millions of lives, but that is tens of millions out of a human population of around 6 to 7 billion people, and probably somewhere around 2 billion infections. 

You did well in the crap-shoot. Maybe today is the day to buy that lottery ticket.

Edited by AndyHull

22 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Its a bit of a lottery. The chances of dying if unprotected is around 0.5% to 5% depending on which statistical model you look at. The latest variants are probably less likely to prove fatal, so possibly 0.05% to 1% fatal. 

What this means in reality is that around 95.0% to 99.95% of un-inouclated people won't actually die. If you have a good immune system and good luck, you get a mild infection and don't die. Whereas better than 99.99% of inoculated people don't die.

If, like my wife, you have a good immune system, full inoculation and bad luck, you end up with covid induced myocarditis and a pacemaker. Possibly if unprotected things might not have even been that positive. It doesn't bear thinking about. I know of several people, two of them doctors, who didn't survive.

I picked up covid the same time as her, had the same inoculations as her, and had a couple of days of sneezing and feeling rough, then I was fine.

Its a crap-shoot.

The inoculations  give you a better hand in that crap-shoot. They measurably decrease your likely hood of dying or getting sick. They don't provide 100% protection.

100% protection would be nice, but no inoculation is ever that effective, due to genetic variations in the infective agent, and genetic variations in immune systems within the human population.

The inoculations probably saved tens of millions of lives, but that is tens of millions out of a human population of around 6 to 7 billion people, and probably somewhere around 2 billion infections. 

You did well in the crap-shoot. Maybe today is the day to buy that lottery ticket.

Understood Andy thankyou. I just wonder if you should have included a good immune system due to and along with a healthy  lifestyle. I have five good friends that i train with, spar with and go to the gym with. We all work hard, We all eat very healthy no junk food, no grains or very little, we dont smoke we dont drink. We eat real food, red meat 3 days a week fatty fish the other 3 days then a day off . Some veg some fruit but not loads. My diet is almost 70 % fat my body fat hovers around 12 -13 %  down to as low as 9% when I'm training heavy. One of us can get lower than that. We intermittent fast between 16/8 and 18 /6. We are all over 50, one of us is 61 next month. We have all had Covid now, all of us shrugged it off , non of us have had any injestions. Tbh I would rather take my chances and fight any virus off myself than rely on something man-made. 🙂

24 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Tbh I would rather take my chances and fight any virus off myself than rely on something man-made. 🙂

For the most part, I agree with that. I rarely take medicines, and only if absolutely necessary. I grew up playing in the dirt and exploring in the wilds of Scotland. Cooking over wood fires, sleeping in tents in all weathers, and in all sorts of remote spots, you get the idea.  I've probably got a much stronger immune system as a result.

I met my wife climbing mountains, and in general we have been lucky to be relatively fit and healthy over the years. We don't drink (except very occasionally) or smoke. We eat well, but healthily and try to maintain good fitness. We are both the wrong side of 50.

In general I would avoid anything that is not demonstrably medically effective. However looking at the odds in this case, I felt that the risk of no inoculation was higher than the risk of inoculation. Its a much closer call than some people suggest, but on balance inoculation is the better option. However I would not suggest making it mandatory. Everyone is free to make up their own mind, and I fully respect your choice, and your right to choose. If the benefit of inoculation was less clear then I might well have come down on the other side of the fence.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

fully respect your choice, and your right to choose. If the benefit of inoculation was less clear then I might well have come down on the other side of the fence.

As do I yours Andy. Most of what i base my opinion on has nothing to do with what any government politicians or scientists tells us. I have friends in the NHS that were due to lose their jobs, the same week that it was about to be made mandatory for their staff the idea was withdrawn.  I dont know what the reasons that they gave are as i dont watch the news, in fact i dont have a tv licence or an ariel.  My friends tell me its because too many staff were refusing the injections, my friends there are all radiographers. Not the menial staff refusing it, but the staff that the NHS can not afford to lose or are able to replace. Paramedics, pharmaceutical staff, doctors and surgeons. This alone tells me that something is not right and that I have made the right decision for myself. Like i say the same as you I fully respect anyone else's opinions and decisions. This was just to highlight my decision. 

• Like 1

1970s Verity 25 jewels ETA2789 turned into a field type watch. Running very sweetly at less than + 1 SPD in wear 285 degrees amplitude dial up. I was shocked with how bad the positional variation was with this watch, swinging between + and - 60 SPD crown left/right. With some dynamic poising I zeroed that right out getting 0 spd in 4 positions and +3 crown right and up. I now have a very fine timekeeper for very little outlay. I find that the rate of this watch is much less affected by temperature than Seiko 700X that I have worked with before. Also less affected by motion when on wrist. Steve.

Screenshot_20220710-162519.png

IMG_20220720_075354015.jpg

Edited by steve1811uk
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Nice work Gert. How much of this restored matey, anything replaced ?

Thank bud. Yeah, a LOT had to be replaced in the movement as the cannon pinion, centre and 4th wheel was one rusted blob - lots of rust on various parts as well. I even had to replace the top train bridge. Cosmetically I replaced the dial (it was seriously too far gone), hands, crystal and bezel insert. Unfortunately I had to use aftermarket parts for the cosmetics as finding good parts on a 37 year old watch was impossible for reasonable money. In fact, an almost new original dial would've set me back 120 GBP which wasn't even the correct colour. So I settled on a restomod 😄

I'm busy with the video now - hopefully I can get it done in a week

Edited by gbyleveldt

32 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Thank bud. Yeah, a LOT had to be replaced in the movement as the cannon pinion, centre and 4th wheel was one rusted blob - lots of rust on various parts as well. I even had to replace the top train bridge. Cosmetically I replaced the dial (it was seriously too far gone), hands, crystal and bezel insert. Unfortunately I had to use aftermarket parts for the cosmetics as finding good parts on a 37 year old watch was impossible for reasonable money. In fact, an almost new original dial would've set me back 120 GBP which wasn't even the correct colour. So I settled on a restomod 😄

I'm busy with the video now - hopefully I can get it done in a week

I know i can tell some parts are just too far gone. Impossible to make a decent job without replacements. Fantastic job Gert , i can't wait to see the video. 👍

• Like 1

My watch of today. Another Seiko. This was the first new watch that i bought when i started collecting just under a year ago. Here we have a Seiko 5 Snk809. Generally thought of as a field watch.  The case styling is cetainly typical of miltary watches of WW2 even down to the satin finish of the sides and bezel. Possibly an attempt to imitate the wear of a well used SS case. And also with a case size of 37mm keeping within the military specification required of the famous Dirt Dozen watches. The dial does seem similar to that of pilot and fliegar watches with the outer seconds markings and inner hours. If this is a combination of the two then the look does work rather well. It Houses Seiko's now apparently discontinued 7s26 a great workhorse with reasonable accuracy and reliability and has stood the test of time for many years now. Maybe with stocked supplies to last a little while yet, but this model also seems to be discontinued replaced with an updated successor having the extra features of hand winding and hacking. Voted last year's most value for money watch by various youtube collectors in particular The Urban Gentry . I paid £109 for this which i thought was a bargain at the time for a new automatic also with the added nicety of a see through caseback. Still available from Creation watches in America for a lttle less than this. But preowned ones are popping up on Epay in the UK for more money than last years new price. If thinking of treating yourself to one, aim for the J versions of the 7s26, around another tenner more as these are more sought after. All in all a good watch, with great styling at a great price when  available. The only down thumbs i have for this watch are the non hacking and non hand winding. But this does apply to all the 7s26 range of movements . That missing point is livable and doesnt change the love i have for this watch. 👍

20220723_111010.jpg

20220723_110935.jpg

20220723_110931.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

My watch of today. Another Seiko. This was the first new watch that i bought when i started collecting just under a year ago. Here we have a Seiko 5 Snk809. Generally thought of as a field watch.  The case styling is cetainly typical of miltary watches of WW2 even down to the satin finish of the sides and bezel. Possibly an attempt to imitate the wear of a well used SS case. And also with a case size of 37mm keeping within the military specification required of the famous Dirt Dozen watches. The dial does seem similar to that of pilot and fliegar watches with the outer seconds markings and inner hours. If this is a combination of the two then the look does work rather well. It Houses Seiko's now apparently discontinued 7s26 a great workhorse with reasonable accuracy and reliability and has stood the test of time for many years now. Maybe with stocked supplies to last a little while yet, but this model also seems to be discontinued replaced with an updated successor having the extra features of hand winding and hacking. Voted last year's most value for money watch by various youtube collectors in particular The Urban Gentry . I paid £109 for this which i thought was a bargain at the time for a new automatic also with the added nicety of a see through caseback. Still available from Creation watches in America for a lttle less than this. But preowned ones are popping up on Epay in the UK for more money than last years new price. If thinking of treating yourself to one, aim for the J versions of the 7s26, around another tenner more as these are more sought after. All in all a good watch, with great styling at a great price when  available. The only down thumbs i have for this watch are the non hacking and non hand winding. But this does apply to all the 7s26 range of movements . That missing point is livable and doesnt change the love i have for this watch. 👍

20220723_111010.jpg

20220723_110935.jpg

20220723_110931.jpg

Nice watch, definitely in the general style of the flieger-B. I do like military watches. Probably’cos I’m an ex-squadie 😀

Tom

• Like 1