Watch of Today

mk3

Here we have a bonus watch I got in a lot a few weeks ago, thought it was quite interesting since it is a SLAVA watch made in Russia for import to Sweden.
The dial shows EXACTA SLAVA 21 jewels imp. The watch is powered by the double barrel SLAVA 2414, a quite nice movement by the way.

EXACTA_Slava.thumb.jpg.b3f95fe918c040f0e2a174e9d13235b3.jpg

• Like 7

Another of my recent haul - I’m a sucker for the 70s....surprisingly it’s keeping very good time!

Its a strange feeling having a manual wind - not usually my thing, but price was good; and the seller said it just needed batteries :D

DECF368D-CE08-4160-B4AE-9C81F0422C77.jpeg

2B33AB58-02DA-4E6F-A2D3-6080A6607A75.png

5600E398-3C1D-4C69-AAE8-4FB65A94CF6E.png

• Like 3

Beautiful watch, I will have to try and track one down for myself.

Cheers Steve! Got really lucky on eBay some time ago and snagged it for around £30 as it was sold as a non runner with not very flattering pictures.

Long story short a loose screw had found its way into the escapement which had resulted in it not ticking. After removal and a service it’s running great!

aaf087dc760937bf2e2bc5c590160fea.jpg&key=76aa8cf12036917d6efa03128362c300cbbd4ba20544dbe7892457bc44d8bcec

My watch of the day, just finished this as a present for my daughter's 16th this Friday. Seiko 4004 Quartz from mid 70s. The lengths I have gone to with this watch, I even had to find a case back for it as the one it came with was from another watch and stuck on with double sided tape. She will love the retro look.

IMG_20200728_184809894.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, steve1811uk said:

My watch of the day, just finished this as a present for my daughter's 16th this Friday. Seiko 4004 Quartz from mid 70s. The lengths I have gone to with this watch, I even had to find a case back for it as the one it came with was from another watch and stuck on with double sided tape. She will love the retro look.

IMG_20200728_184809894.jpg

Very nice 0903 based mid 1970's export quartzB).....fairly sure that the 0903 movement is Seiko's only one with a tri-lingual day wheel......

I am quite fond of these, there again I am a bit biased as I have a 'few' 4004's......some of them below.......

A few 4004s.jpg

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Very nice 0903 based mid 1970's export quartzB).....fairly sure that the 0903 movement is Seiko's only one with a tri-lingual day wheel......

I am quite fond of these, there again I am a bit biased as I have a 'few' 4004's......some of them below.......

A few 4004s.jpg

That's quite a collection. I will need to invest in better tools before I work on another one. Replacing the glass and the case back proved to be a bit of a challenge using my poor quality squeezy hand press.

2 hours ago, steve1811uk said:

That's quite a collection. I will need to invest in better tools before I work on another one. Replacing the glass and the case back proved to be a bit of a challenge using my poor quality squeezy hand press.

I use one of these presses....

WbWsrLs.jpg

and a lot of the 4004's require the bezel assembly, with the crystal in place pushing out from inside the case as an assembly, then reassembling with the new crystal and replacing again as an assembly......I had this aluminium die made up especially for pushing the bezels out.....(the groove is to clear any projection of the stem tube inside the case)

0IzhsPT.jpg

It is sized to fit very close to the internal case size and sit against the very small lip of the bezel assembly that protrudes inside that dia...

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

I use one of these presses....

WbWsrLs.jpg

and a lot of the 4004's require the bezel assembly, with the crystal in place pushing out from inside the case as an assembly, then reassembling with the new crystal and replacing again as an assembly......I had this aluminium die made up especially for pushing the bezels out.....(the groove is to clear any projection of the stem tube inside the case)

0IzhsPT.jpg

It is sized to fit very close to the internal case size and sit against the very small lip of the bezel assembly that protrudes inside that dia...

Thanks John, great tips there. I will have a look round for the same press. Any tips for the rubber seal around the new crystal? I did try a few things but in the end used a 0.7mm diameter o ring pressed by the glass chamfer against the inside front of the bezel.

Today's watch is my grandads old Roamer which I acquired in 1986. It had been sat in the cupboard all this time but finally I have had it repaired and serviced. It required a new main spring.  It keeps great time although I only wear it when sat in the office. I don't know its age but I do know that the movement is an MST 430. 

IMG_1885.jpg

• Like 3

Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241302 Alliance Sport Chronograph 

Another black face from my practical collection. Purchased in 2014 on one of my house swapping holidays in USA.  I changed the bracelet for a leather strap. Cost at the time USD $324. 

20200803_123528.jpg

• Like 2

My first watch and still have it today - Tissot Sideral Automatic with fiberglass back.

Bought way back in 1971. I believe these were gold plated including bracelet. Possible Model No 821 - 44745 or 112/429 (from original receipt). 

I wore it as my daily watch and it had a very hard life. Never been serviced and still works fine.

Spotted one on ebay for $456

20200805_112055.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BasSWarwick said:

My first watch and still have it today - Tissot Sideral Automatic with fiberglass back.

Bought way back in 1971. I believe these were gold plated including bracelet. Possible Model No 821 - 44745 or 112/429 (from original receipt). 

I wore it as my daily watch and it had a very hard life. Never been serviced and still works fine.

Spotted one on ebay for $456

20200805_112055.jpg

My first 'good' watch, had it since 1968.......

JD Chrono wrist3.jpg

• Like 3

Today I found out the MOERIS is a perfect counterweight on the arm when removing the balance from a dodgy AS970 balance staff.
It is a UNITAS 6498 Pocket watch conversersion which will give you the perfect swagg when walking the stripp ;) .

MOERIS.thumb.jpg.e6080beb4003614d6a4224880b9d90f1.jpg

• Like 3

With little opportunity for wearing dressy watches during lockdown, I got to thinking, what would be the perfect watch for lounging about in baggy tracksuit bottoms and staring wistfully out of the window. The least refined, least glamorous piece in the collection.

RIMG0330.thumb.JPG.560f4de39af09e89dec90b803a72fda9.JPG

In other words what is the perfect corona virus lockdown watch?

Given that I don't have to be anywhere at any given time, it doesn't even need to be accurate. It just has to fit the bill as the perfect "nobody is going to see it anyway, so it can be as daft as you like" watch.

As you can imagine, the 404 club has a few contenders for this non-accolade, but somehow this one seems to capture the mood best.

I just hope you can hear what I am typing above the sound of it ticking. :D

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

Andy Hull, wait 'till you see my old "Corona Virus lockdown watch".  First *wrist* watch that I bought with my own money.  It's the one I wear when I'm working on the van, or doing outdoor work late into the night, banging about with tools and whatnot.  It's a Walmart brand called Eagle Ridge.  It has a thick, heavy case, and a crystal that for its price has defied getting chipped or scratched somehow.  Its a beater watch that won't die.  And it does decently with accuracy, being quartz. As a bonus, it has "DiaLight"; a sort of tribute to Indiglo.

If I'm going to be *seen* with a wrist  watch I'd rather it were my Citizen or my Bulova.  But if I want to *see* the time in dark places I just wear this. 

20200814_182421.jpg

20200814_182857.jpg

Edited by KarlvonKoln
  • Like 1

RIMG0638.thumb.JPG.60091c8f99b22d548ec5812453eb2b34.JPG

1977 Timex Snoopy Tennis red dial. This is in a typical 1977 Marlin case, and arrived stone dead, in a fairly tatty condition on a cheap Nato style nylon band.

image.png.03edb2f75f731ae72aaaa20a701e2d46.png

I remedied the "not running" issue, by giving it a good clean and some light lubrication. I then popped it on a temporary strap to keep an eye on it as it settles down after servicing.

A few things I would like to know about it.

First, did it ever have the novelty seconds hand (typically a tennis ball, but some feature "Woodstock", Snoopy's small yellow bird sidekick), or were there some produced without?

Second,  and this is a bit of a long shot, but does anybody have a stock of new old stock novelty sends hands for it? @JerseyMo  ?

Finally, what kind of strap was it originally sold with?

It also needs a high dome crystal obviously, but I have some of those.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:25 PM, AndyHull said:

Second,  and this is a bit of a long shot, but does anybody have a stock of new old stock novelty sends hands for it? @JerseyMo  ?

Finally, what kind of strap was it originally sold with?

I may have the hands, it would

have had a red strap. Not a "Marlin" case rather a Mercury or if the smaller size it is a Sprite.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, HSL said:

This is an ORION powered by an Baumgartner 582 digital.

Forgive me my ignorance, but what is a "digital" calibre? I realize the telling of time is "digital" but what's underneath? A mechanical movement like any other mechanical movement?

Edited by VWatchie