Watch of Today

mk3

Just got this running today after 6+months looking for parts and I had to share!

Ollendorf watch from 20-30's with AS 635 movement.  Sorry for the poor pictures, the movement looks so much better irl.  Rose Gold plated gears for extra loveliness.  I absolutely love this watch.

1FD97503-A82C-4814-9015-A3A6BA586180.jpeg

EE8C572F-BBC0-40D8-A94B-CCA2AB58F2B3.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dpastl said:

Just got this running today after 6+months looking for parts and I had to share!

Ollendorf watch from 20-30's with AS 635 movement.  Sorry for the poor pictures, the movement looks so much better irl.  Rose Gold plated gears for extra loveliness.  I absolutely love this watch.

1FD97503-A82C-4814-9015-A3A6BA586180.jpeg

EE8C572F-BBC0-40D8-A94B-CCA2AB58F2B3.jpeg

I totally love the styling! I just acquired a similar one myself, a Westfield with a Bulova movement, 30's to 40's. Excited for its arrival.Screenshot_20200418-144738_eBay.thumb.jpg.869ce57be622498fc1dc5140837bd30e.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I totally love the styling! I just acquired a similar one myself, a Westfield with a Bulova movement, 30's to 40's. Excited for its arrival.Screenshot_20200418-144738_eBay.thumb.jpg.869ce57be622498fc1dc5140837bd30e.jpg

That looks amazing!  I especially love the little flowers along the bottom.  That's some very impressive engraving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the stylized font of the Arabic numbers on yours. Very Art Deco. The one I'm getting definitely caught my eye. I had been recently shopping for an "Art Deco" watch for awhile and had lost a few auctions. This one came up and had an issue with the stem and crown but is otherwise running well. I love the patina on the dial as it gives it character. I already bought another movement of the same model for it's stem and related parts depending on what is required. It seems Bulova was the defacto producer of American made wrist watches during this time. I will have to set aside my disdain for crocodile leather as there is no denying it looks good on these watches. Photos to come once it's on my wrist.

My favorite 1960s Skindiver - Nivada Grenchen Diver. I have only seen 1 other with the cream yellow dial, and not in person, so I can assume this one a rare one. Additionally, most Nivada Grenchens in this style are labeled 'Taravana' - this one is not. The nice cushion case is quite large for the day and sports a ETA 2472 which  not stainless- brass alloy?? And yes, I have replaced the gasket.   It also has one of the coolest caseback designs I've seen!  

20200423_101752.jpg

20200423_101704.jpg

20200423_103155.jpg

Edited by Hopgoblin
Spelling
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Very nice! I think someone should create a new thread for interesting case backs. I'm sure we all have one or two, or more. We could include initials and custom engravings if any of our watches are so adorned.

I that's a great idea! I have a couple of dedicated comebacks that deserve to be seen:jig:

• Like 2

Just finished this 1970's Timex Q quartz divers watch.Surprisingly for Timex in the period this appears to be a genuine attempt to create a watch that could actually be used for diving! It is marked '100 metres' and to back this up has a screw back with 'O' ring seal and a screw down crown, again with a seal. :thumbsu:

It came to me a few weeks ago in a very sorry state....

T9bRtXB.jpg

The back and bezel appeared to be firmly cemented in place with what looked like a mixture of porridge and plaster of paris.:startle:

JxyTZWQ.jpg

Also I don't think the crown has been screwed down for quite a while as the crown tube threads are under this somewhere!......:huh:

QSQkQlG.jpg

The clean up was fairly straight forward and a 2mm thick replacement crystal was easily sourced.

The real problem was the bezel insert.... Initially I just removed as many scratches as possible and polished it. The nearest insert, in size,  that I could find is the Seiko 4205 mid size diver one, but whereas the inside diameter was near perfect at 28mm, the outside diameter is 34 mm and the original insert is 32.8mm. Also the original insert is convex and the Seiko on is flat.

Not to be put off I obtained one and sorting through my nylon crystal press dies I found a combination of concave and convex ones and with them in the press managed to reform the Seiko one to match the concave Timex insert.

The next stage was to find two other nylon dies to clamp the two inserts together with an M6 bolt which went in the electric drill to make a lathe of sorts. About an hour or so reducing the outside diameter of the Seiko one down to the original Timex one, finishing of by hand with fine needle files did the job.

The final result here:-

N755ZXO.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

great work, 

Cheers Mo, do you have a catalogue entry for this one? I assume very late 1970's or more likely early 1980's. The guy I bought it from says he had it from new but couldn't remember when and that he wore it for about ten years (and beat the living shit out of it!) then chucked it in a drawer when the strap broke, where it stayed till he recently found it again....Oh, and I paid the ridiculous price of £1.99 for it (the replacement crystal and bezel insert cost me about £12 on top of that).

TOday will be the Heuer 73473. One of Heuer's lesser known models but no less important in my opinion. It's a great chronograph that has all of the funk of the 70's. I believe this one is from 1973. Great condition and is virtually untouched. My preference has always been'for the most part' about having the watch on a period band. I think this one looks exceptionally nice on a vintage beads of rice bracelet. 

20200424_101057.jpg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Hopgoblin said:

TOday will be the Heuer 73473. One of Heuer's lesser known models but no less important in my opinion. It's a great chronograph that has all of the funk of the 70's. I believe this one is from 1973. Great condition and is virtually untouched. My preference has always been'for the most part' about having the watch on a period band. I think this one looks exceptionally nice on a vintage beads of rice bracelet. 

20200424_101057.jpg

Lovely watch, assume as it is one of the earlier Heuer chronographs it has the Valjoux 7734 movement and not Heuer's own movement, as fitted in the slightly later watches?

8 minutes ago, Hopgoblin said:

You are indeed correct!

I cannot really take the credit, I know a man who knows an awful lot about vintage chronographs, who's blog is a great reference source, who  repaired and serviced mine about five years ago...... see HERE

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Cheers Mo, do you have a catalogue entry for this one? I assume very late 1970's or more likely early 1980's. The guy I bought it from says he had it from new but couldn't remember when and that he wore it for about ten years (and beat the living shit out of it!) then chucked it in a drawer when the strap broke, where it stayed till he recently found it again....Oh, and I paid the ridiculous price of £1.99 for it (the replacement crystal and bezel insert cost me about £12 on top of that).

October 1987 - that is determined by the '34' on the case back.

23 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

October 1987 - that is determined by the '34' on the case back.

Thanks Mo, a bit later than I thought (and as it happens the original owner who guessed 1985...) Still a very nice watch, keeping good time (+0.25 secs/day) without me adjusting it at all.....

John....

It doesn't come out very often but I'm wearing my Burke today. I bought this in Plymouth back in 1985/6 when they first came out. All original and still keeps almost perfect time, loses about 2 seconds a month. I just wish I still had the box, but that probably got dumped by my parents when they moved house and I was away in the navy.

IMG_1802.JPG

• Like 4

Today I'm wearing my newly acquired 21 jewel Timex. I believe it is a 1961 vintage and I also think its the first year they were made, but @JerseyMo should be able to confirm it. Just needed a touch of lube and a good polish on the Crystal. I'm not sure the case back is original to this watch as it has Pierre Cardin stamped on it. I thought they only every made their own watches, lol.

15879185119172937855640049282110.thumb.jpg.9f58d84fd09e1f849f57f4910dfe5eb4.jpg

15879182772919125668912243988163.thumb.jpg.725121be1e84067e0d83436974d89d0a.jpg

Edited by FLwatchguy73
  • Like 2