Watch of Today

mk3

On 2/22/2020 at 2:52 AM, yankeedog said:

This "well used" junghans came in lot .it came to  me with  a broken  stem ,no crown  or tube.It was repaired  with  a stem extender  and a new tube and crown  were  fitted.It runs surprisingly  well. 

20200221_214508.jpg

I see your Junghans and raise you my 1968 Junghans 600, electronic watch marketed in the US as 'Sheffield'

xCt3zUS.jpg

1968 advert, suggesting that it's what the trendy airline pilot of the day should be wearing....

hjMX2CP.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dpastl said:

Wow, that's a Beautiful watch @AndyHull!   Just simply gorgeous!

It is a very attractive piece, but I'm not sure who produced it.

There are a number of possibilities for "Crown Watch" on mikrolisk.de

http://mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280#sucheMarker

One possibility is that it is related to the West End Watch Company.

Crown Watch Co. Crown Watch Co. Bombay, Indien; registriert am 21.2.1947

This idea seems to fit quite well with its style and quality, but the truth is, I don't actually know where it came from.

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

I have seen  Sheffields  on ebay. My guess  is that  they  were an assembler, Using  sourced parts  rather than a manufacturer  ,is this  correct?

http://mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280#sucheMarker

I suspect this would be likely, since there are a number of Sheffield brands, mostly registered in the USA, but presumably importing either components or complete watches from Europe.

Scheffeld        Sheffield Watch Inc.     New York, USA; registriert am 22.5.1959
Sheffield        Sheffield Watch Factory Ltd.     Biel, Schweiz
Sheffield        Sheffield Watch, Inc.     New York, USA; registriert am 1.9.1959
Sheffield        Sheffield Merchandise Inc.     Kleinuhren, Uhrwerke; New York, USA; registriert am 13.6.1946
Sheffield        Sheffield Instrument Corp.     Elektrische Uhren; Glendale (CA), USA; registriert am 2.5.1946 <<<< This may be the Droid you are seeking.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

hjMX2CP.jpg?1

To put that in perspective, that $65 watch in the mid 1960s would have cost the equivalent of around $600 in today's money, so this was a relatively expensive little watch by the standards of the day. For comparison, a mechanical V-Conic Timex of the period typically cost around $10.

• Like 1

Today it's a mid to late '50's Technos, fresh from the bench.....

20200223_141215.thumb.jpg.be9e18cd6337098836d719877e563764.jpg

Please pardon the confusing shadows on the dial, we had a rare moment of sunshine which had to be taken advantage of.

Picked up for a song, minus crown and stem and in a typically scruffy state. After a full service including new main spring, crystal, case back gasket, and of course the missing parts replaced, it's running like a champ.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

To put that in perspective, that $65 watch in the mid 1960s would have cost the equivalent of around $600 in today's money, so this was a relatively expensive little watch by the standards of the day. For comparison, a mechanical V-Conic Timex of the period typically cost around $10.

The same watch appears with dial make of 'Matthey Doret' on it with some sub signed 'by Sheffield'

9BbxIBf.jpg

And of course the identical watch with Junghans on the dial.....

qG9BG5c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyHull said:

The Junghans  star logo is a dead giveaway regarding who *actually* made the watch.

image.png.865627ff54a1f136bedb50a23b78fdd1.png

image.png.62231a0fd6e1335f30643fa510cb5904.png

image.png.17e6f5f2b39a4cd47ceb6fce3aa7ab5c.png

image.png.d0ef2bf501d13c9cf0a13d76e848a1b8.png

https://www.junghans.de/en.html

image.png.22b1921e196cb8f6436a83e951ccc0aa.png

.. and my current favorite Junghans.

Interestingly the six point star is on the Junghans and Matthey Doret signed watches but the star becomes five point on the 'Sheffield' and again on the watches signed 'Matthey Doret' and sub signed 'By Sheffield'.....

ZbuZAfZ.jpg

Recieved this Timex electromechanical quartz the other day.  It was running strong the moment I opened the package.  It is running the same movement as the Falcon Eye. I really like the smokey,  grey dial.

20200224_063435.thumb.jpg.7adae1cc892f1a5902c1796fa7c92147.jpg

The caseback Is engraved with initials and a date. I'm guessing it was someone's Christmas gift. 

20200224_063854.thumb.jpg.9add002379a775df3777593b4ac24eb7.jpg

I haven't opened this watch yet to check the actual year of manufacture,  but it can't be any later than 1973. Another birth year for me,  lol.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Recieved this Timex electromechanical quartz the other day.  It was running strong the moment I opened the package.  It is running the same movement as the Falcon Eye. I really like the smokey,  grey dial.

20200224_063435.thumb.jpg.7adae1cc892f1a5902c1796fa7c92147.jpg

The caseback Is engraved with initials and a date. I'm guessing it was someone's Christmas gift. 

20200224_063854.thumb.jpg.9add002379a775df3777593b4ac24eb7.jpg

I haven't opened this watch yet to check the actual year of manufacture,  but it can't be any later than 1973. Another birth year for me,  lol.

Model M63 then with the M40 style movement but with a small circuit board, with discrete components mounted on the side?

Early one like this, with the rheostat trimmer......guyLcUP.jpg

Or the later type with the variable condenser trimmer?

3ZzyEzw.jpg

• Like 1

Well, my curiosity wouldn't wait.  I opened the back and as you can see,  it's the rheostat style trimmer.

20200224_093813.thumb.jpg.bf8e912dd2b1d357f90315b8fcfdee70.jpg

I didn't pull the movement to check the date,  but i'd say '73 is fairly accurate. The movement itself is incredibly clean.  Makes me happy to see,  should provide me with years of reliable service. 

• Like 3

A fine looking 1969 Timex Marlin (20282469) back from my healing bench and ticking away nicely.

RIMG0500.thumb.JPG.8928f3e6394452fb9be178b8a4f9adbe.JPG

It wouldn't wind and was held together with sticky tape. The pins were 19mm so I had to chop them out, and there was no strap, but the usual residual muck from the previous one. The winder issue was due to a broken crown retaining arm, which I swapped with one from a donor. It then got a clean and polish,  and a service.

The winder crown is a little worn, so I will probably address that too once it has proven that it can run for 24hrs. 

RIMG0503.thumb.JPG.430997e07dd79f417c45221c58748271.JPG

Looks like we have a few signs of spring on its way in the garden too, although what you can't see in the photo is that there is a steady flurry of wet sleety snow hitting the window. Oh well, nothing else for it but another cup of tea and a seat by the fire.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3

I have replaced the capacitor in this JDM Seiko AGS Spirit Titanium (5M22 movement). This is a one piece case, so the bezel has to come off to get to the movement. The bezel gasket was a bit hard to get back in (ordered two new ones and ruined one), but it all went in on the second attempt (using a drill press. Yes, I am a newb and do not own a crystal press. But I have other tools and am resourceful). Here it is. I really like this watch. It's very well made, the titanium case and band make super-light and very comfortable watch. The crystal is most likely sapphire, though it does not say so on the back. I did look up the Seiko catalog and it calls for sapphire replacement part. Also, for a watch this old (from the early-mid 90's) the crystal is literally pristine. No scuffs or scratches. Very high quality piece that I am really enjoying right now. The new style capacitors (LiOn batteries, really) allow about a 4 month reserve on these. I am very happy with the purchase and the "service" I gave it.

Before serivice

bIMG_0339.thumb.jpg.296dce2c28172b8e2a1c2b46c9bf0b72.jpg

IMG_0338.thumb.jpg.3f3b65d45d1782304206437390db0a8c.jpg

After service

IMG_0353.thumb.jpg.7b0d4a21d0445008884b8b1061296345.jpg

• Like 4

Today I'm wearing my Bulova accutron "hummer" This was my second electronic watch. I bought it as a bare movement, then got a case and dial combo. It's a pretty finicky movement. It will randomly stop for no apparent reason. I have to tap on the case at the 2 o'clock position several times to Kickstart the tuning fork. I'd love to get it serviced and properly tuned, but there are so few people who work on these and my finances won't allow it, so I just deal with these quirks. I certainly am not a confident enough watchmaker to tackle one of these myself. 

20200227_054752.jpg

• Like 2

RIMG0521.thumb.JPG.dab9a5dc0b4a59bf2ca7f14968a87e3d.JPG

A Vestron "Foreign" (so probably German) pin lever pocket watch.

I actually picked this up to scavenge the hands from, but I couldn't resist having a look inside to see what ailed it.

The balance was rattling around, but on closer examination it appeared to be complete, so I removed and re-fitted the balance cock and balance, gave the whole thing a quick and rudimentary clean and oiled the pivots. Off it went.

It clearly still has a couple of issues. No crown, no stem and no second hand being the obvious ones. However, straight off the bat, and without any adjustment it is sitting around +80 sec per day, with the adjuster slap bang in the middle, so I'll let it run down and see how it fares. Hopefully as the oil gets to work, it will slow down slightly.

I may have to source another watch for the parts for this watch, that I sourced for parts for another watch..... There is nothing mad about that whatsoever .... is there?

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2