Watch of Today

mk3

Wearing my recently acquired  Blue dial Timex Sprite. It's a handsome little watch, a 1979 vintage.  I have so many blue dial watches,  I may create a new topic on just those, lol. All this Sprite needed was an overall polish,  otherwise it's running great. 

Before:

20200207_055715.thumb.jpg.a2378cdc1a7d0dcf187726ae793bbf61.jpg

After:

20200207_062255.thumb.jpg.333f9ca3a715c506bf7c22f38cbb4136.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I have so many blue dial watches,  I may create a new topic on just those, lol.

I have to confess I just picked up this blue dialed specimen.

AsPurchased2.jpg.d85930875e900f3b760cda6d811e0ea6.jpg

It has one minor problem (apart from being a few pennies over budget), although it is not a ladies size,  it is a nurses fob watch.
The dial was irresistible, and I almost certainly have a non fob watch donor Ingersol case it will drop right in to. 

• Like 3

@yankeedogmy BFG 158 31/7 did this to me after cleaning, There is a small click that I had forgotten to engage with its spring. it allowed the rotor to spin like a propeller, lol.

In the Felsa it's call the "Stop Click" and the "Stop Click spring" Part numbers 1428 and 1448 respectively. Unfortunately, Jules Borel is currently out of stock, in case they're broken or missing.

Felsa-4008-watch-spare-parts.thumb.jpg.35a198e846e156e90980c3999713ab50.jpg

Edited by FLwatchguy73
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, markr said:

Did you get the foil from a chocolate coin?

no, that is NOS item from a watch lot I got in a few years back. Still have more of them. They were used on those 'one jewel wonders' that were so popular in the 1970's.  They are blacked with glued paper just like a stamp.  just added some water to activate and laid it on the dial.

3 hours ago, yankeedog said:

Did you get the foil from a chocolate coin?

You've just given me an idea for the source of another USSR themed dial design. 

USSR_One_Ruble_Coin_1961-67_Style.jpg&f=

I wonder how easy it would be to convert coin faces to monochrome SVG.. only one way to find out.

Edited by AndyHull

1 hour ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Minus the obvious "SEIKO" text, I would have thought this was a swatch given the styling.

No, this is a much chunkier watch than anything Swatch had offer. It's all stainless steel case with solid back. You open it by undoing the four screws on top. Very unique design, especially for Seiko.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, AndyHull said:

You've just given me an idea for the source of another USSR themed dial design. 

USSR_One_Ruble_Coin_1961-67_Style.jpg&f=

I wonder how easy it would be to convert coin faces to monochrome SVG.. only one way to find out.

kitchen tin foil.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Today I'm wearing my Seiko 5 Automatic field watch. I absolutely love it. Yes, it's got a Malaysian 7S26 movement and it cost me way less than $100 half a dozen years ago. But I love this thing. It runs amazingly accurately (after I regulated it very slightly) and after I have adorned it with a domed sapphire crystal it got a whole new look and feel. The band is getting real old and I will be making a new one for it reusing the nice SS hardware from the old band. This watch has not been babied and the original mineral glass crystal was very scratched up and cast very hard shadows on the dial. Now it's clean and clear and so far not a single scratch in almost 6 months of non-babying wear.

g6pZcR20peKxFgJIH35y8Lhn_B0GMPmznGlWX2Hf

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

remarkable are they not ?

If you mean the inexpensive Malaysian 7S26 Seikos, yes, they are truly remarkable. Their price went up slightly since I bought mine, but they are still well under $100. That's an Automatic watch with a very high quality movement (no, it doesn't hack, nor does it hand-wind) in a stainless steel case with a very excellent field-type band sporting matching stainless steel hardware. Amazing! I am a big fan of Seiko as you may have noticed. A huge reason for this is that I am not able to spend a lot of money on watches, so Omega Seamaster is only in my dreams. But Seiko really does scratch a lot of these itches as it is a fine watch made very well and certainly a workhorse. I will post my 7009 watch tomorrow. I believe it's from the 80's. Runs fine, though it could use a cleaning and servicing.

Today I am enjoying this Seiko 5 (7009 movement). I bought it for almost nothing and it really didn't need much. The crystal was in bad shape and I replaced it with a magnifier (like that look and this watch does not have to be 100% original). The lume on the hour marks is gone, hands still glow fine. This thing moves right along and keeps excellent time.

IMG_0352.jpg

• Like 3

RIMG0489.thumb.JPG.88eb0acc92dffb590d9aa1d511d067bb.JPG

Back in "sunny" Perthshire after our India trip. Back to floods, snow and high winds (and an exciting flight in to Edinburgh last night in  a Dash 8 Q400 in "marginal" conditions), so I swapped my favorite little workhorse 19 jewel Sekonda TV face, (which performed flawlessly I might add), for something a little more sunny. A bright champagne dial "Crown Watch" with  gold hands. Now I'm about to take advantage of a lull in the weather to take a quick look round the garden and see what is still there, and what has been washed away or blown down. :D

• Like 4