Watch of Today

mk3

40 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

RIMG0418.thumb.JPG.d227d4c44724f01fea49f255d714af35.JPG

In that case, blue you shall have.

The lighting doesn't do this one justice. It is a deep navy blue, but LED lights being what they are , it looks much flatter in this picture.

With the flash, it just looks washed out. It looks best in daylight, but given that it is 22:40 here, daylight is in short supply.

The tiny lume pips are a very subtle eggshell blue, un-illumintated, although they look white in this picture.

I've got quite a few of them......just a few examples here:-

Seiko 6119-8430

kXUpBk8.jpg

Seiko 3803-7040 from 1972.....

nFFjEKJ.jpg

Seiko 6319-5010....

aUcaa6r.jpg

Citizen Cosmotron....

oazxhHC.jpg

Seiko 0903-7029.....

LlDiBcs.jpg

Seiko 7123-8430...

eXG5AeH.jpg

Even a couple of Timex Electrics.......

qV8HnnX.jpg

xBs1cY7.jpg

Just a few of a MUCH larger collection... I rest my case:D

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

This '73 Marlin is from my birth year.  I just finished servicing it. I love the white,  pearlescent dial and bold Roman numerals. It's funny how a little cleaning,  oil and polish can turn a neglected and forgotten watch into something appealing. 

20200202_060033.jpg

I've just 'discovered' early Timex watches, though all of mine are electric or very early quartz ones....BrmMPXO.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I have  a bunch of early electrics in the to-do pile. None as nice as that one though. 

This is the other really 'different' one that I have......xBs1cY7.jpg

Just waiting for these to arrive in the post, picked up as a job lot ....

snASPLx.jpg

going to be busy for a bit...:lolu:

• Like 2

With all the talk of blue dial watches lately,  I figure it's time for me to jump in.  This is another birth year ('73) Timex (Mercury I believe). The metallic blue dial is captivating.  I just finished servicing this watch and it's keeping great time. First thing to go will be the ladies sized "epilator" expansion band. Maybe @JerseyMo can steer me in the right direction of a period correct band or strap.

20200203_054727.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

With all the talk of blue dial watches lately,  I figure it's time for me to jump in.  This is another birth year ('73) Timex (Mercury I believe). The metallic blue dial is captivating.  I just finished servicing this watch and it's keeping great time. First thing to go will be the ladies sized "epilator" expansion band. Maybe @JerseyMo can steer me in the right direction of a period correct band or strap.

20200203_054727.jpg

I have a couple of "Petites" with similar dials, one Burgundy, and one blue like that. Its a great colour.
RIMG0858.thumb.JPG.2f418a4c178f06488dfb8c330ed31068.JPG

Unfortunately it doesn't show too well in this picture, as the flash has made it look flat, but it has a similar shimmer to the burgundy one and your one above.

• Like 1

I have the exact same reddish/orange dial from the same year as my blue. I haven't showcased it yet, because I snapped the tip off the seconds wheel shaft while removing the second hand. I have a donor, just need to disassemble the victim. 

Photo below is from prior to servicing and breakage. 

20200203_070829.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I haven't showcased it yet, because I snapped the tip off the seconds wheel shaft while removing the second hand.

Ouch... I feel your pain. 
I have to confess, I managed to do the same to one of the Viscounts I was working on. I wasn't using excessive force, it just fatigued, honest. I was initially confused when I tried to refit the hand, and there was nothing there to attach it to.

Obviously what I thought was quite gentle treatment wasn't quite gentle enough.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Maybe @JerseyMo can steer me in the right direction of a period correct band or strap.

Yes, that is a Mercury and it would have come with a vinyl strap of the same color or the dial. These straps tended to get hard and brittle over time.  If you are luck to find one, it also is common that the hold down is gone. Also just like in the picture I show which is Charlie Tuna.  They also came without the date feature. Other colors, white, red, green, brown as I recall. Mu suggestion is to go with a nylon nato style as a replacement.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Swissie was in the same batch with the Seiko Bullehead that I've presented recently. Very wearable at 39.5mm and well equipped with a SW200 mov't. Seller classified it as a junk just because the balance had over banked, as I eventually found, definitely a deal for €144 inc agency fees and shipping. Runs as a charm and will be in two minds about keeping it or not. 

P2061201.JPG

P2061202.JPG

• Like 2

I recently acquired a Citizen "box-o-parts" from the Bay. I got it because it had parts for a Citizen Jet which I need a proper case for mine.  There was included several cases,  dials hands,  misc gears and 2  movements. When it arrived I found that one movement was a 27 jewel Jet with the automatic rotor assembly in pieces and missing the rotor weight. The other movement turned out to be a complete mid 60's  21 Jewel, Crystal seven. The balance was good and the mainspring was intact.  I gave it a wind and it attempted to run.  So I thoroughly cleaned it,  assembled and lubed it and it took off running like a champ. I matched up a dial,  hands and a complete case in the parts provided,  and now, here it is on my wrist adding miles to the odometer. Yes,  the crown is mismatched,  but only I, and you, will know,  lol

20200206_065142.jpg

• Like 5