Watch of Today

mk3

On 12/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, yankeedog said:

Most esteemed  friends...I present  to you my Mumbai  Homage. Old amphibia case with 2209 movement. A glorious  fake dial glued in place. However, unlike  most fakes you will find the 200 meter rating  is legitimate. I am sorry..I just had to.

20191203_120513.jpg

THAT is stunning.

A genuine Voslex Amphibimariner, ultra rare status on the eBay 'rare' scale. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, watchguy74 said:

Not that I could see was hoping you might know.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You would probably need to remove the mechanism, to check. The date code, if there is one,  will be below the level of the crystal, and not visible without removing the movement from the case.

EDIT: I didn't know Timex did "jump hour" digital watches, but a quick google trawl shows a couple of examples including one with a Swiss jeweled movement.

Strictly speaking it isn't a "jump hour", but a direct read digital. I couldn't find any similar examples, so it is also fairly rare. Maybe not a true jump hour, but none the less, it is pretty neat. I want one. :D

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, watchguy74 said:

Picked this up recently do not know much about it but really liking it maybe@JerseyMo may know something about it as he is the Timex king emoji16.png.e4825025dd43271e32be2ec26c7deb9d.jpgd20dab400dc467c5c59af00e85bacb4c.jpg

Does the white "TIMEX" disk rotate around a static dial disk with the numbers on it, or does the numeric plate rotate under a fixed white "TIMEX" disk?

My guess is that the dial is fixed, and the "TIMEX" plate is effectively a circular plastic hour hand with a window that shows the numbers on the dial beneath, in which case it is a very similar arrangement to my tennis playing Snoopy with its transparent second hand with a tennis ball on it.

Edited by AndyHull

Does the white "TIMEX" disk rotate around a static dial disk with the numbers on it, or does the numeric plate rotate under a fixed white "TIMEX" disk?

My guess is that the dial is fixed, and the "TIMEX" plate is effectively a circular plastic hour hand with a window that shows the numbers on the dial beneath, in which case it is a very similar arrangement to my tennis playing Snoopy with its transparent second hand with a tennis ball on it.
Yes the Timex disc rotates around like a minute hand.

1 minute ago, watchguy74 said:

Yes the Timex disc rotates around like a minute hand.

A nifty solution, since this allowed them to use a standard mechanism. 

Did you find the dial style number?
It will be printed on the metal dial disk down at the 3 O'clock position, and as I said before, you  may not be able to see it without removing the mechanism from the case.
My guess is that it starts with 3XXX the last two digits will be the year of manufacture.

• Like 1

A nifty solution, since this allowed them to use a standard mechanism. 

Did you find the dial style number?

It will be printed on the metal dial disk down at the 3 O'clock position, and as I said before, you  may not be able to see it without removing the mechanism from the case.

My guess is that it starts with 3XXX the last two digits will be the year of manufacture.

There isn't any numbers anyplace I can see here is photo with dial removed.ea433dbd3a13b3b34d56291326a27aba.jpg&key=9d016f3e262e3e0e41b33e4ebc583d07bd2a86c45022f748b4736da37ec155fe1526e954cfa3f93e4af71d126cb6378e.jpg&key=be32c074b56ef63cc965645c4529d89e5382d5fb8d9ef75ee70ac2d842339ada

f619cc23d33660eb1ca5707956e31b55.jpg

I wonder if this is a prototype? An idea Timex toyed around with and developed a prototype and possibly a few sales samples and then abandoned without going into full production. We can estimate the age by the movement, if it dates to the late 60's through the late 70's, then Jump hour/ direct read watches were en-vogue. Many companies develop products without ever going into production, this may very well be such an example.

The number might be visible if the hands were removed, but that seems like a slightly dangerous move.

Typically it would be on the dial plate, so in this case,  the circular hour hand would be covering it completely.

No worries, the exact designation is of purely academic interest. It looks too well finished for a prototype, but you never know of course.

No doubt some former Timex employee (in Dundee perhaps) might know the history of this particular piece.

• Like 1

Having worked for many years in manufacturing, my experience allows me to make a few assumptions. If Timex was ramping up to begin production on this and the market for this type of watch suddenly crashed, (which it did) they would very logically pull the plug on it. There could easily have been a small handful of these of a more refined quality than a crude prototype. It is also logical to conclude a former employee may have ended up with this piece because of their access. In any case, it is an amazing watch.

• Like 2

Today's watch is my vintage Vostok Komandirskie. You may recognize it as the exact model Mark featured in his recent YouTube video with the pallet issue. I liked the one he chose so much, I had to get one for myself. I absolutely LOVE the patina on the dial. As Mark mentioned his was a bit of a Frankenwatch, mine is as well. Amphibia case, Komandirskie movement and dial and a no name bracelet that was once two tone gold and stainless but the gold was scrubbed away. I'm still waiting on my scuba dude like the one mark also featured, but that one is taking the slow road from Russia:rolleyes:

20191213_074717.jpg

20191213_085225.jpg

20191213_085313.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 8:55 AM, FLwatchguy73 said:

Today's watch is my vintage Vostok Komandirskie. You may recognize it as the exact model Mark featured in his recent YouTube video with the pallet issue. I liked the one he chose so much, I had to get one for myself. I absolutely LOVE the patina on the dial. As Mark mentioned his was a bit of a Frankenwatch, mine is as well. Amphibia case, Komandirskie movement and dial and a no name bracelet that was once two tone gold and stainless but the gold was scrubbed away. I'm still waiting on my scuba dude like the one mark also featured, but that one is taking the slow road from Russia:rolleyes:

20191213_074717.jpg

20191213_085225.jpg

20191213_085313.jpg

I would  call it an amphibia with a komamdirskie dial. It is after all the case that qualifies it as an amphibia. And since  it is a 24xx movement  current  production  dials from mother  Russia will  fit.very cool.

• Like 3

AS1187 powered  Mondia. This one runs pretty  nicely. About 220 degrees  amplitude  10 seconds  fast at .7 ms beat error..curiously it is all stainless swiss cased..and has an acceptable  beat error. I have noticed  that  very  often  cheaply cased AS1187's  have pretty  large  beat errors. Factory  seconds maybe.Or hasty  off shore  assembly. 

20191214_125514.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yankeedog said:

I would  call it an amphibia with a komamdirskie dial. It is after all the case that qualifies it as an amphibia. And since  it is a 24xx movement  current  production  dials from mother  Russia will  fit.very cool.

Amphibirskie or Komanphibia...hmm:D