Watch of Today

mk3

7 minutes ago, balaton said:

A fellow-member who also maintains an archive of movements not represented in Ranfft, Lorenz or Watch-Wiki found the attached image in a 1957 Flume but it was so rare that not even he'd ever seen one before

Check out the link for a 21 jewel version. Google translate is your friend here unless you are multi lingual.

https://uhrforum.de/threads/herrenuhr-marke-falta.400357/

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marc said:

Check out the link for a 21 jewel version. Google translate is your friend here unless you are multi lingual.

https://uhrforum.de/threads/herrenuhr-marke-falta.400357/

Well now, there's a thing  -  also came in a 21j version. And many thanks for the link.

If you followed Andreas's embedded link, you'd have found mine in his archive. Maybe there's millions of these things kicking about......

This just arrived on the slow boat from India. Lucknow , India, to be precise.

RIMG0499.thumb.JPG.5f7ada7db18051aa0f91cb0f4d0328d9.JPG
It runs remarkably well with a swing of around 270 degrees and a rate of -20 s/day or so, fully wound dial down.

All the more remarkable considering the fact that it comes with some free cosmetic rust, a minor case of tropical dial pox, and spent the last fourteen days in a jiffy bag, being bounced round the world.

RIMG0493.thumb.JPG.19dd534b7d403a5b823610ce94823af9.JPG

Before you ask.. I don't know what the caliber is yet, but it is presumably either Indian or French.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

Certainly worth the "not very much" I paid for it.

RIMG0534.thumb.JPG.38e3a22637db4b17bdca3a35ec388554.JPG

Another 404 club member.

Described as "working but running very fast", it needed a service, and the hairspring needed un-gummed.

Last serviced (probably) in 1990 according to the scratches in the case back.

RIMG0527.thumb.JPG.4f102d130ba4bc7753d4909a437288bf.JPG

Now running very nicely following a quick clean and lube, especially when you consider  it has probably endured 29 years between services. I'll let it settle down and do the final regulating and adjusting tomorrow.

The construction is somewhat similar to the HMTs mechanisms that I have been playing with over the last couple of days, but I have to admit, the quality of construction of this, is slightly better than the more recent HMTs. Interestingly similar though, in standard to my brother in law's HMT from 1976, which has brushed finish on the winding gears, and a better feel over all, than the later ones.

The HMTs do score a few extra points for their stainless steel cases however.

RIMG0526.JPG

RIMG0525.JPG

Edited by AndyHull

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

Never  mind I see it!

In case anybody else doesn't spot it, its an AS 1950 (non date version of the AS 1951).

More info here.

Also see close cousin the AS/ST 1941

"This 17j movement, also known as “Standard 1941”, was made in the 1970ies by AS and was found e.g. in better Timex watches (“Timex 100”) and there labelled as Caliber 181"

Edited by AndyHull

The "Kander 21 Jewel" got a little bit of TLC last night, so here it is in all its glory. It took a couple of thorough cleaning sessions before it would run well.

RIMG0548.thumb.JPG.1558c1f365f01cdcaa420f13375cba30.JPG

Despite its 21 jewels, there a couple of obvious omissions.

RIMG0543.thumb.JPG.df18f2fbd297ed6b5ecbaf394bbee96d.JPG

It is a pin palette for starters, and that 'aint no Incabloc.

RIMG0539.thumb.JPG.a25c80503c955d1cce44923a45a94dbc.JPG

All that having been said, the thing is very eye catching, as indeed is the place it was made.

frutigen.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I've spotted a couple of those "spares or repair" but not had the courage to pull the trigger, if you will excuse the obvious James Bond pun.

Honestly, don't bother with the spares/repair route, get a working one, there are loads at laughable list prices on eBay but they don't sell, even mint nos with contents. You might have to keep a look out but 20 to 30 is about the ballpark they actually sell for.

Not really surprising considering that aside from the novelty factor and q branch thing, (which is admittedly why I wanted one), they're no more use than a basic LCD watch.

Mobiles take such incredible photos now no one would realistically expect to use the camera beyond the 'I just took a photo with my watch, "Roger Moore eyebrow raise" how cool is that' thing.

• Like 1

Keeping with the Timex Dundee theme a 1978 Marlin(?) (24560 02578).

RIMG0565.thumb.JPG.d2af182c9b9bd57ea199459748990999.JPG
This was a junk lot watch.

RIMG0558.thumb.JPG.8326e6577ca8433b37c8c2a179845eee.JPG

I could see in the ebay advert that the date ring was missing, and as I discovered when I opened it, so too was the movement holder, but fortunately I had both in my stash.  Here it is just prior to putting the lid back on, after cleaning and servicing.

RIMG0560.thumb.JPG.787566e6f17eaba209de4c111f6a9df4.JPG

The crystal was heavily scratched with some paint marks for good measure.

RIMG0563.thumb.JPG.d4ee3c22d954ed960599cb89783bafff.JPG

Advertised as not running, how could I resist? It looked a perfect candidate for the 404 club. 

AsPurchased.thumb.jpg.ced3f7c35e03b1f1c08f5277777eae37.jpg

This was the starting point. The dial and hands look fine, but the rest was a bit of a mess.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

Maybe not one you see every day, this 35mm Recta made by Muller & Vaucher. Probably dates from around 1950 and runs on their own 17j Recta G2 movement with a Breguet overcoil balance spring, since untangled from how it had first come to me as a non-runner. Unusually, the case back is also gold plated, I guess on the premise that if you didn’t move quickly enough, you got plated!

The Recta brand goes back to 1898 and, according to Ranfft, became silent in 1984.

Regards.

Recta 2019 6 v.2.jpg

Recta G2 after 1 v.2.jpg

Recta case back v.2.jpg

• Like 2

Another of those whodunit watches. This time an Eden-matic 21 jewel automatic joins the club. The amplitude is a little low at around 255 but other than that it seems to have enjoyed its clean and lube session, and a new crystal has brought up the dial quite nicely.

The strap is borrowed from a digital, but I'll pop it on a leather one, once it has settled down and be regulated and adjusted to my satisfaction.

RIMG0577.thumb.JPG.46bc59f9a150e3967d60bc97258efe3e.JPG

I can find very little information about this particular brand, so any clues would be very welcome.

12 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Another of those whodunit watches. This time an Eden-matic 21 jewel automatic joins the club.

I think it's auto only? That did often go togheter with the crown at 4, because the crown is better protected, less accessible, but doesn't need much use anyway. The Swiss stopped making these around around the quartz crisis era, but Seiko didn't and still making like that. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1