Watch of Today

mk3

41 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

Thank you Ricardo, :biggrin: Andy, glad you like it :biggrin: it was £150.00 when I bought it ! But then I was young and stupid ! 

I dunno , If getting a sweet watch like that one for that price is being young and stupid ,..then count me in....figuratively speaking  .

In any case , I really like your watch and went to dig mine out because I thought they were the same . 

I can honestly say that I am just starting to learn the numbers and nuances of Omega watches , and the speedmasters in particular all look the same to me but I am slowly starting to see and learn the subtle differences . 

Here is a pic I found on the internet of what mine looks like .  One big difference in mine compared to most I have seen is the numerals under the indices ,....among other things .

928603105_ScreenShot2019-05-21at11_36_25PM.thumb.png.4bc5f82048ea73ea00c27b2fc5a9fb55.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little bit of utilitarian Gallic simplicity in the form of a "Lijac" to bring us back down to earth.

RIMG0235.thumb.JPG.dc352e2441972ee89192977eeddf5c81.JPG

It has a tick like a Timex, and approximately zero jewels, but none the less it does poses a certain continental charm. 

So far I have managed to find out precisely nothing about this particular watch, so if anybody has any clues regarding its origin and manufacturer, I would be keen to find out.

• Like 1

This is today's offering, sub £4.00 including postage. Would wind then unwind. Opened back and click stop and spring fell out ! Spent ages on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass.... Then Mrs Me walked in and said " are you looking for clues"  anyway it's called CHICKS and I have never heard of it ! 

IMG_20190522_235801.jpg

IMG_20190522_235648.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

Chinese movement I guess?

I think so, I am not that experienced in Chinese watches to say for sure. Someone on the forum will probably have seen this movement before. The only marking I can see simply says "17jewels"

This is today's offering, sub £4.00 including postage. Would wind then unwind. Opened back and click stop and spring fell out ! Spent ages on my hands and knees with a magnifying glass.... Then Mrs Me walked in and said " are you looking for clues"  anyway it's called CHICKS and I have never heard of it ! 

A nice example of the Chinese standard movement, and quite well finished. It will probably perform well on the time grapher following a quick clean/service/regulate and adjust.

Edited by AndyHull

50 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

A nice example of the Chinese standard movement, and quite well finished. It will probably perform well on the time grapher following a quick clean/service/regulate and adjust.

Thanks Andy, that was a good read, I have just bought a timegrapher "Weishi 1900" in preparation for Mark's courses that I have just enrolled in. The manual is awful ! 

"Then Mrs Me walked in and said " are you looking for clues"  anyway it's called CHICKS and I have never heard of it !  "

Luck you didn't say you were looking for your chick's bits which had just disappeared under the table. I suspect you would be sleeping in the dog house if you had. :P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

It looks original. Far too many Allwyns end up en-frankenized.

They do, I was sorely tempted by a bright green repainted dial one a while ago but managed to resist.:D

Dials a bit dirty and the lume is old but I like it, looks nicer close up in person than on a picture.

The Lijac not only survived 24hrs without running out of steam, but it put in a pretty remarkable performance following the clean/service/adjust. 

I would put that at around -9½ seconds over more than 24hrs. Not bad for such a rudimentary movement.

RIMG0246.thumb.JPG.fb78eb3605431efc204c2e6e7281dd43.JPG

On the other wrist today was the eye catching Accurist Accu2.

The effect of the very subtle regal blue sunburst dial isn't really apparent in the picture, but up close on a nice sunny day, it is very impressive. It shimmers from almost midnight blue to a very dark purple to all manner of shades between.  

• Like 3

I have been ‘tinkering’ with this ‘Aviation’ watch on and off for about 6 months. As ever, those beryllium copper hair springs are my nemesis. The problem with vintage watches is you never know if someone has fitted incorrect parts before you get to look at it. I just couldn’t get this watch to regulate - always running way too fast. It turned out the spring was too short so I had to sit tight and wait for a similar movement to come up on fleabay. Anyway, with the case polished, a new crystal fitted and sporting a brown leather bund from Germany, I’m rather pleased with this little Pin Pallet ticker. 79034f27fe5a8a92431a4258d1a12140.jpgdeb17655994b09ba459901903eafde66.jpg3593df3d50ec5004021765f35cbf2149.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Deggsie said:

I have been ‘tinkering’ with this ‘Aviation’ watch on and off for about 6 months. As ever, those beryllium copper hair springs are my nemesis. The problem with vintage watches is you never know if someone has fitted incorrect parts before you get to look at it. I just couldn’t get this watch to regulate - always running way too fast. It turned out the spring was too short so I had to sit tight and wait for a similar movement to come up on fleabay. Anyway, with the case polished, a new crystal fitted and sporting a brown leather bund from Germany, I’m rather pleased with this little Pin Pallet ticker. 79034f27fe5a8a92431a4258d1a12140.jpgdeb17655994b09ba459901903eafde66.jpg3593df3d50ec5004021765f35cbf2149.jpg

@Deggsie What caliber is it and what parts do you need besides the HS?.

Hi Nucejoe. I now have the hair spring and don’t need any further components. She ticks away beautifully - to my wife’s annoyance, she isn’t keen on loud Pin pallet watches [emoji6]. I’ll report back on the movement, but believe it’s a newmark mk2.

• Haha 2

On 5/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, yankeedog said:

Watch of unknown maker.AS 1187 movement signed Sellita watch co. 

sel_toplogo.png

Sillita appear to still exist. Whether they produced the entire watch, or just the movement is unknown of course. 

Sillita Watch Company - Le Cret-du-locle 11 La Chaux-de-fonds, 2301 Switzerland

http://www.sellita.ch/index.php/en/

Edited by AndyHull

I wasn't sure if the Sellita of today was the same company that existed in the 1950s, but it appears to be the case. A lot of company names re-appeared phoenix like from the ashes of the quartz crisis, often as mere marketing machine shadows of their former selves, but it appears Sellita (and Ronda, Sicura and indeed quite a few others) managed to keep the wolves from the door.

Others existed only on paper until their marques were bough (or appropriated, depending on your opinion) by speculative faceless marketing companies in the nineties and beyond.

Edited by AndyHull

I think it is pretty common practice these days to take the name of a defunct but reputable company and commandeer it.Either by purchase or outright theft. When I see the "ELGIN" watches currently on display it causes me to wonder if it isn't  a place near Kowloon.