Watch of Today

mk3

3 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

One of the very first makes i overhauled. They have many interesting pieces representative of the 70's. I still have a automatic jump hour in my collection. Thanks for sharing!

J

Got a small collection of sicura, ten or a few more, will post,  This one I got used, keeps accurate time. Looks like the bezel rotating or not must have had some painted indicators.  Regards

Easter Monday 08.30 and I feel shattered, up till 04.00 playing hunt the click ! Can't find it anywhere, I even borrowed Grumpy's hoover and still can't find it ! Anyway this is my watch of the day. I know it is a quartz but in its defence it is accurate and waterproof and cheap £53.00 delivered.

IMG_20190422_083046.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

GMT hand...at midnight all hands should point at 12 ...

To be honest , I forgot how to set this particular watch, because of the inner rotating ring , but I better find out pretty soon because I just got the exact watch as yours a couple of weeks ago but I haven't messed with it yet .  Kind of a poor excuse since I used to own one of these when I first started collecting a few years ago .

• Thanks 1

To be honest , I forgot how to set this particular watch, because of the inner rotating ring , but I better find out pretty soon because I just got the exact watch as yours a couple of weeks ago but I haven't messed with it yet .  Kind of a poor excuse since I used to own one of these when I first started collecting a few years ago .

I have several and don,t know how it is suppose to act, each one acts as it likes and I should know the piece before I start restoration of them all.

I don't have a "true" GMT watch, but my understanding is that you set the GMT hand by pulling the winder to the setting position for the GMT hand, and that hand will then complete one rotation for every two of the hour hand, giving you a 24hr time by reading from the 24hr chapter ring, and if this hand is set to track GMT, then you can work out the time in other cities/zones by looking at the relevant city name on the outer bezel.

Some dual time zone watches simply have two hands which can be positioned relative to each other, but driven by the same hour wheel, and are not strictly GMT watches.

Even simpler dual time zone watches have two (usually quartz) movements, which can be set independently. I have a couple of examples of these.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, Nucejoe said:

West end watch, said to be powered by ST96, cased in Hong Kong.

Originally marketted as pocket watch.

IMG-20190421-WA0004.jpg

I couldn't resist this..

s-l1600.jpg

I even blew my 404 budget (admittedly not by much, and the cheap postage made up for the difference). I'll post some more pics when it arrives. 

6 hours ago, Johnnie said:

Cheap and beautiful = irresistible ! 

I'm not sure.. does "cheap and bizarre" also count as irresistible?

Today's WOT is a Q&Q with their plastic jeweled movement, which is bizarre enough in its own right, but coupled with this face... what can I say. In my defense at 0.99p, non running, spares or repair, they don't come much cheaper.

A quick slungify and some light luber-mikay-shun and away it merrily ticks. I didn't go for the full tear down, partly because these Q&Q mechanicals are a little fragile, and partly because it didn't really warrant it.. well that, and the fact I was too lazy/busy to do so.

RIMG0921.thumb.JPG.b16caaa4beb8d51e276ca214951a45bb.JPG

Now if anybody can identify the slightly unsettling cartoon character on the dial I would be interested.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

I'm not sure.. does "cheap and bizarre" also count as irresistible?

Today's WOT is a Q&Q with their plastic jeweled movement, which is bizarre enough in its own right, but coupled with this face... what can I say. In my defense at 0.99p, non running, spares or repair, they don't come much cheaper.

A quick slungify and some light luber-mikay-shun and away it merrily ticks. I didn't go for the full tear down, partly because these Q&Q mechanicals are a little fragile, and partly because it didn't really warrant it.. well that, and the fact I was too lazy/busy to do so.

RIMG0921.thumb.JPG.b16caaa4beb8d51e276ca214951a45bb.JPG

Now if anybody can identify the slightly unsettling cartoon character on the dial I would be interested.

I wouldn't call it a "Chick Magnet"....But as I know so well , "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

I wouldn't call it a "Chick Magnet"....But as I know so well , "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

I suspect if you showed it off to your new "Chick", she would run a mile, unless of course she was in to bizarre rotund cartoon characters with wings, painted on eye brows and what appears to be a cod piece with a large capital "H" on it. In which case, if she was, perhaps you might be the one who would be advised to run a mile.

Vintage pre-quartz Hamilton Electric Taurus...505 Movement.....This one is a front loader .

My dial is a little different then the one pictured in Rene Rondeau's book , "Hamilton Wristwatches , A Collectors Guide .

Being a fan of Hamiltons , I have a few of the Electric models . I love the asymmetrical design of the watches of this period .

158317085_ScreenShot2019-04-24at8_34_47PM.thumb.png.d3276055684c6220c093f3395d6e63bb.png

390295606_ScreenShot2019-04-24at8_35_29PM.thumb.png.867e841ce3e276670a62e583c9205d5d.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

Vintage pre-quartz Hamilton Electric Taurus...505 Movement.....This one is a front loader .

My dial is a little different then the one pictured in Rene Rondeau's book , "Hamilton Wristwatches , A Collectors Guide .

Being a fan of Hamiltons , I have a few of the Electric models . I love the asymmetrical design of the watches of this period .

158317085_ScreenShot2019-04-24at8_34_47PM.thumb.png.d3276055684c6220c093f3395d6e63bb.png

390295606_ScreenShot2019-04-24at8_35_29PM.thumb.png.867e841ce3e276670a62e583c9205d5d.png

You may notice that the crown is also in a different position on mine then in the pic .

Hamilton Electrics positioned the crown in various positions from 1 to 5 o'clock using the same 500 and 505 Electric movements . 

• Thanks 1